The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

22 hours ago, mpt said:

I’m going to come out and just admit, I was wrong.  I am totally fine with this trade and think JB did a great job.  I didn’t know he was going to overhaul this team as much as he did after this trade.  With the additions of Myers, Benn, and now Ferland, this Miller trade looks a like a great deal for us.

I did say earlier in this thread, I like the player and hate the trade.  I’ll admit when I’m wrong.  I like the player and I like this trade.  Props to JB I didn’t think he could do this many quality changes at good contracts lengths and dollars as he did.  This is worth a contract extension.

A lot of you guys that had it out with me earlier were right, I was wrong.  My bad...

Image result for what's most difficult to say? i love you I'm sorry I was wrong worcestershire sauce
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, mpt said:

I’m going to come out and just admit, I was wrong.  I am totally fine with this trade and think JB did a great job.  I didn’t know he was going to overhaul this team as much as he did after this trade.  With the additions of Myers, Benn, and now Ferland, this Miller trade looks a like a great deal for us.

I did say earlier in this thread, I like the player and hate the trade.  I’ll admit when I’m wrong.  I like the player and I like this trade.  Props to JB I didn’t think he could do this many quality changes at good contracts lengths and dollars as he did.  This is worth a contract extension.

A lot of you guys that had it out with me earlier were right, I was wrong.  My bad...

It certainly looks a lot better when you consider the entire offseason.  

This isn’t a one-off acquisition that moves the needle a little... it’s part of a multi-move upgrade to add size, skill, speed and toughness to the top of the roster.  

We aren’t magically cup favourites... but if this group stays reasonably healthy and plays for Green the way last year’s team did, they aren’t going to be any fun to play against and I bet at least one pundit says, “this isn’t a team you want to play in the playoffs.” 

We’ll be rolling four heavy, fast, defensively responsible lines who can score.  A decent mix of size and transition on the back end and two big, athletic game-stealing goalies.

I can’t wait!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, mpt said:

Whoa, easy now.  The season hasn't even started yet.

Wait until at least the first half of the season to admit to being wrong.

What if Miller sh*ts the bed like LE and finds himself being a healthy scratch.  Not likely, but still a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Losing With Pride said:

What if Miller sh*ts the bed like LE and finds himself being a healthy scratch.  Not likely, but still a possibility. 

Your club's membership is dwindling as reality begins to set in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Very true, but my initial opinion has been changed, who knows how it turns out, but I do now support it.  

• Cheers 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Maddogy said:

I like Jim. He overpaid for Miller. There is no perfect GM out there. Move on.

Miller's 'normal' value is likely closer to a 1st, mid pick and a solid prospect. We did not overpay.

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, mpt said:

Very true, but my initial opinion has been changed, who knows how it turns out, but I do now support it.  

I agree with that poster - not necessarily a case of being 'wrong'.

I respect that you changed your opinion.

We all do variations of this - look at a deal at the time and it may not make as much sense as it does down the road.

I would agree with the basic premise that you were getting at - the deal to move a conditional 1st - as the team improves and adds needed pieces to compete, the anxiety over that pick somewhat decreases, as their chances of competing are enhanced / hopefully they can manage some good results in the next few years. 

If they can't - with the present roster - then I'm not sure the young core was as good as we hope - in which case, a rething is unlikely successful in any event.  I guess that's a risk they take.

In fairness - I'm not sure even the most optimistic homers like myself could have anticipated adding all of Miller. Myers, Ferland and Benn (particularly with the recrap popping up).

Edited by oldnews

On 6/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, WHL rocks said:

The more it settles in the better this trade looks.

Matt Duchene will get around 9 plus mill. He's a 50 Pts C.

We got Miller who's a power forward. One of the hardest positions to fill. He's at what 5.6 mill.. hes a big guy. Exactly what this teams fambase cried out for last season.. 

And he can play C or Wing.

Gave up a 1st so what. Got a heck of a player back. He'll get more pts then Duchesne next season. Play on EPs wing. And provide a heavy game..

I seriously think Benning is going to look like a genius and everyone going to be surprised at the player he got to play with EP and BB

Both BB and EP will have a lot more goals and pts next season because they have Miller as linemate. 

for the record...cap hit is $5.25M per...even better.

Capture.PNG

also, notice what position he plays...like you mentioned...center and both wings

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

The narrative of Canucks Twitterverse (the Chris Keehn's of the world), is that Benning overpaid a team that was looking for a "cap dump".  I was told that Carolina was able to secure a first, and that it was the same situation... I honestly don't even know how to debate with people who think that way about the JT Miller trade. It blows my mind how absolute anti-Benning some fans are and anything he does is an absolutely huge mistake. 

It’s a total mess with these people. This offseason proved everything for me. People are literally posting just to hate and nothing else. There isn’t even a leg to stand on but these people still try and blast JB with everything they got.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Tampa Bay got one of those magical IR for life deals from Callahan days before the trade. They made a decision to trade to get a decent asset back rather than cap dump someone else. The Leafs had to trade Marleau. Apples and oranges.

Too simple for the naysayer benning hating crowd though. Benning has made plenty of mistakes and bad moves. None this summer would qualify though.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

The narrative of Canucks Twitterverse (the Chris Keehn's of the world), is that Benning overpaid a team that was looking for a "cap dump".  I was told that Carolina was able to secure a first, and that it was the same situation... I honestly don't even know how to debate with people who think that way about the JT Miller trade. It blows my mind how absolute anti-Benning some fans are and anything he does is an absolutely huge mistake. 

Its like false news at times. 

33 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Tampa Bay got one of those magical IR for life deals from Callahan days before the trade. They made a decision to trade to get a decent asset back rather than cap dump someone else. The Leafs had to trade Marleau. Apples and oranges.

Too simple for the naysayer benning hating crowd though. Benning has made plenty of mistakes and bad moves. None this summer would qualify though.

The sad part even after telling them this, they just go all not listening matt leblanc GIF

And then continue on their Benning rant repeating the same garbage.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

No he didn't.

He paid market value for a very good player. 

Nice try.  :picard:

Well no offense bud but you dont really know what the market value is for any player.  None of us do. Unless you work the phones and discuss trades with NHL General Managers,  you really have no clue. So to say so matter of factly that he paid Market value is just an embarrassing thing to say. So facepalm yourself.

I'm a big fan of Bennings work I really like what hes built so far,  I think if Francesco let's him see this rebuild through and doesnt fire him too early,  I truly think Benning is building a real cup contender,   but in my OPINION,  Benning paid too much for Miller.  I love the player coming back,  but that 1st really hurts.  But sometimes you have to give, to get.  I just really hate giving up that 1st. 

It is what it is.  I think well end up making the playoffs this season anyways with the new additions.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, WHL rocks said:

The more it settles in the better this trade looks.

Matt Duchene will get around 9 plus mill. He's a 50 Pts C.

We got Miller who's a power forward. One of the hardest positions to fill. He's at what 5.6 mill.. hes a big guy. Exactly what this teams fambase cried out for last season.. 

And he can play C or Wing.

Gave up a 1st so what. Got a heck of a player back. He'll get more pts then Duchesne next season. Play on EPs wing. And provide a heavy game..

I seriously think Benning is going to look like a genius and everyone going to be surprised at the player he got to play with EP and BB

Both BB and EP will have a lot more goals and pts next season because they have Miller as linemate. 

This is just embarrassing to read.

I think Millier is going to be great. But to say hes going to score more points than Matt Duchene really just shows your level of knowledge on the players. And the game in general.  I would bet money you've never even watched Miller play and you're just typing your posts mindlessly.

Duchene scored 70 pts last season in 73 games.  JT Miller doesnt have that type of Offensive potential.  I know you're going to argue with me on this fact,  and you go right on ahead,  but take your homer goggles off and use your head.

• Wat 2