The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

34 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If there were a redraft today(2018 class) are you saying none of the 31 teams would select Woo or Madden 1st round? Admittedly I only watch NHL play over here..but from what I've heard, either of them have been upgraded(based on last season) as worthy late-1st picks.

THN has Madden 25th among NCAA prospects;

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-100-players-to-watch-for-in-the-ncaa-in-2019-20

They do have Woo as the last top 6 D man for Team Canada. That's at the edge of first round. But not a TC lock;

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/an-early-projection-of-canadas-2020-world-junior-championship-roster

They are currently over achieving their physical gifts. In of its own that is positive. Being compelling physical talents would be better. Madden the more accomplished, doing it against men in NCAA. Bounces off checks with the puck, using his balance and agility. Will remain to be seen if he can do that as a pro. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hoglander has the elite athleticism. Upside in his skills. Un-guardable speed & strength. I'll buy that.

Woo and Madden are displaying fantastic compete levels. Good results. Can make plays. Good prospects. Coaches will still have plenty of match ups to deploy against them who can handle them physically. Its not the same.. 

Woo and Hogs were both predicted to go in the first round at their respective drafts -  Woo had slipped from around 15 at he beginning of he year, injuries furthered his fall to the low 20’s - and of course he slipped right out of the first round at the actual draft.  Hogs was a considered a mid twenties so he didn’t slip as far.

That said the year before Lind was ranked around were Woo was, and slipped and hasn’t lived up to it (yet) and some lists also had JG going near the very end of the first round and the same with him.   The only reason we were able to draft any of these guys at all was because we were lottery teams - doubtful if we made the playoffs they’d still be around by the time it was our turn - unless we used our actual first rounder to nab them in the first place.  

I get what Nux was saying though - it looks like we are hitting on some of our second and third rounders - won’t know for sure for another couple of years.   So far AG, Tree and Demko all have been or are in the show though...

I'm going to add a few points about Miller - and his draft position - for perspective.

He was a 15th overall pick - but realistically he was a better pick than many guys taken before him - Ryan Strome at 5, Brodin at 10, Siemens at 11, Murphy at 12, Baertschi and Oleksiak at 13 and 14....and very little comparable talent behind him well into the 2nd round (outliers like Kucherov, Karlsson or Gaudreau imo are not legit players to cite - the entire NHL passed on these players, some teams multiple times - they can't be considered to be potential top 10 picks in anything other than pure, dishonest hindsighting.

Imo Miller is easily a top 10 to 12 player in his draft (including those outliers) - and given the kind of (complete) game he plays, he's arguably a better asset (and even moreso when you look at his contract/terms) - than the vast majority of his draft class.

Compound that with another factor here - the Canucks have this potential franchise player named Pettersson - that you simply don't wait for years to complement with the right wingers = the time to go out and find a heavier, speedy, sizable LW to play with him and Boeser was now.   Anyone that watched the Sedins toil for years with placholders (before Burrows' emergence) might understand the point.

When the opportunity arises - out of a contender swimming in depth, and tight to the cap - you take that opportunity imo. 

What's laughable is the idea that a player like Miller becomes a "cap dump" because of the circumstances in Tampa - that is absurd.

Any deal comes with risk, particularly when you are giving up an unpredictable outcome like a (mid-round?) draft pick - but the calculation of the risk is in looking at the median/average outcome of picks in that range - and it's hard to argue that Miller is not worth that risk.

But I think the underlying thing that a lot of people were whiffing on - is the value in acquiring good fits to play with EP and Boeser - and in that sense, going out and getting Miller and Ferland made perfect sense (if anyone can name better options/opportunities available on the market this past summer - fill your boots posting them).

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

If that happens Ill wear a damn russia flag to a game, over my Tryamkin jersey of course...

Oh man, this Tryamkin talk...:frantic:  ...he is playing well over there this year too.......:bigblush:

Myers & Tryamkin on the same team. I mean...

56 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Myers & Tryamkin on the same team. I mean...

Imagine if the nucks somehow acquire Ristolainen this year for some plug forwards..

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn Stecher 

:emot-parrot::wub:

Next year without any signings on d...

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Ristolainen 

Edler Tryamkin 

Benn 

Woo in Utica..

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Imagine if the nucks somehow acquire Ristolainen this year for some plug forwards..

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn Stecher 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Ristolainen 

Edler Tryamkin 

Benn 

Woo in Utica..

I would love it if we got Risto.  The price is gonna be high though and he has been playing good hockey so far according to Sabres fans.

If Edmonton has finally gotten over the hump and makes playoffs this year, which I think they can, we may be hard pressed to make it. I think at this point it is likely we end up just outside with the ~13OA pick. I don't see us beating Nash, WPG, Col, or STL; this leaves only 3 spots for the Pacific division with LVK likely getting one of them. So that leaves 2 spots for CGY, EDM, ANA, SJS and our beloved Cancukleheads. I'd love to see us get in though. Mike Smith will inevitably slow down mid season which should slow the oilers down. It would be poetic justice for us to come into the draft lottery with 13th best odds and have us win a lottery pick after all the years of being snubbed.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Oh I know what you meant, sorry if I didn't portray my pure excitement clearly enough. I'm a huge Tryamkin fan, and would look at this positively, to say the absolute least.

Haha! The “I mean...” was exactly that; excitement :)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Miller - like Hughes - is also among the lowest ozone starts on the team - MIller is tied for 2nd lowest (with Tanev) at 34.1% (and Hughes is lowest at 30.0%).

*assuming this source is correct:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

Regardless - those are really impressive shot differentials (in context) to start the season - for anyone - let alone young players or guys playing with youth on a new team.

Miller is one of those guys I just love to watch - he reminds me of a guy like Chris Higgins - very intelligent, and always working hard (Miller with the kind of mobility and two way game Higgins had, with the gift of an even bigger frame). 

Miller also with the added versatility of being a natural center - and he's been killing it in the faceoff circle thus far at 68% (17 faceoff wins = 2nd on the team, against only 8 losses = by a fair margin the most efficient center to start the season.

A real luxury when you can skate him with EP and he can take draws (EP is at 40.7% - to be expected from young centers like him - and Gaudette).

Such a great fit in a group that really needed that kind of skilled heaviness to complement these young guys.

But there’s like a 90% chance we traded Lafrenière AND a 3rd for him. The horror.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Miller - like Hughes - is also among the lowest ozone starts on the team - MIller is tied for 2nd lowest (with Tanev) at 34.1% (and Hughes is lowest at 30.0%).

*assuming this source is correct:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

Regardless - those are really impressive shot differentials (in context) to start the season - for anyone - let alone young players or guys playing with youth on a new team.

Miller is one of those guys I just love to watch - he reminds me of a guy like Chris Higgins - very intelligent, and always working hard (Miller with the kind of mobility and two way game Higgins had, with the gift of an even bigger frame). 

Miller also with the added versatility of being a natural center - and he's been killing it in the faceoff circle thus far at 68% (17 faceoff wins = 2nd on the team, against only 8 losses = by a fair margin the most efficient center to start the season.

A real luxury when you can skate him with EP and he can take draws (EP is at 40.7% - to be expected from young centers like him - and Gaudette).

Such a great fit in a group that really needed that kind of skilled heaviness to complement these young guys.

Hughes gets only 30% o-zone starts?  Isn’t that unusual for a young D man? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hughes gets only 30% o-zone starts?  Isn’t that unusual for a young D man? 

Very.  

Assuming those numbers are correct (any source can make mistakes)...

But I think his defensive game might be under-rated at this point - he may be small in stature, but he's showing an elite ability to get to the right places, with that mobility = more than timely.

And he's unreal in transition - needless to say (zone exits/breakout, puck carrying, puck moving)....  It's interesting and unusual, but particularly with a high end puck retriever and first pass beside him (Tanev) - and quite solid defensive forward groups -  it might make more sense than what we'd expect at a quick glance?

On 10/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn Stecher 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Ristolainen 

Edler Tryamkin 

Benn 

Woo in Utica..

The Tan-Man is doing great with Hughes this year.  What makes you think he won't be a Canuck in the future?  The D is pretty solid as is with the current roster and Juolevi and Tryamkin in the background.  The real question is who will not be on the D roster to bring these guys in the lineup without the obvious injury?

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The Tan-Man is doing great with Hughes this year.  What makes you think he won't be a Canuck in the future?  The D is pretty solid as is with the current roster and Juolevi and Tryamkin in the background.  The real question is who will not be on the D roster to bring these guys in the lineup without the obvious injury?

What i posted was without any signings on d, please re read.

Stecher, Tanev and Fantenberg are all UFA at this season's end.

6 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

But there’s like a 90% chance we traded Lafrenière AND a 3rd for him. The horror.

You know the pick is lottery protected this year.. Also as long as we don’t have big injuries this team should make the playoffs. We are winning games with solid defence and goaltending. Our top line is yet to start producing well.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

That's impossible. Lafreniere will enter draft end of this season.  

If Canucks don't make playoffs TBL don't get our 1st rounder this year it automatically becomes the following year's 1st rounder.

• Upvote 2