The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sure, but why should we fall? We've been moving upwards in both the last two seasons and have a full season of Hughes next year. Our best players are all still very young and are likely to continue improving. I don't see a good case (outside of guessing at worse injuries than the last two years), that we'll be worse next year.

The case is that people can see the future.  They just know despite all of what you mentioned, plus things changing in the NHL as a whole that the Canucks simply can't get better. It's the Canucks so that means it's for sure a lottery pick even though we added a top 4 D, and a top 6 forward to a team that was already climbing it's way out of lottery contention. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Horvat .33 points per minute

Miller .30 points per minute.

Horvat plays against top pairings.

Miller plays against bottom pairings.  

Not saying Miller is bad, just it's silly to compare him to Horvat IMO.  Would you trade Horvat for Miller straight up?  

Edited by CanadianRugby
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Horvat, if Miller plays as well as Horvat, its worth the trade.

I like the player, don’t like the trade.  If he plays as good as Horvat, I’ll change my opinion

To be fair, on the offensive side alone, Miller was at Horvat's level from 2016-2018 (High 50s in points). In Tampa, he played a more defensive role and dropped a bit. I would expect him to rise back up to his level that he was at in New York.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

Still waiting, with all due respect.

I'll humour you. But first of all, consequences? Like I just said, you've no way or knowing what that pick will be or what the ramifications will be. All we know right now is we're giving up a first rounder this coming draft or the next and we don't know if that'll be a consequence yet or a pick well spent. 

Zucker is widely rumoured to be available but as a western team it'd cost us more than an eastern team. They wanted Boeser, that's a bit more than asking for a 1st. They're also very different different players. There's a danger in throwing away numerous first round picks as opposed to one. 

As for Barrie there's no guarantee Colorado's committed to moving him. They've ample cap space and a great prospect system, they've really got no reason to. They're in a good spot and I could see him signing an extension. Our being a western team comes up again too. Teams in the same conference generally pay more of a premium when acquiring players from rivals. Again, there's danger in throwing away numerous picks. 

We've acquired Miller and we'll likely move LE and look at addressing our D in some fashion. We're banking on internal improvement as well from the youth. Hughes is an addition. I'd like to see Stralman. I don't imagine we're done yet. 

I'd personally argue that you've got to balance trying to add pieces through trade/ufa and the draft. We've still got to think about the future while trying to be more competitive and those pieces are almost always found by drafting them. Spending a bunch of picks just to chase the playoffs as opposed to a cup is reckless. 

26 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

This will be a trade that is universally hated in 2 years time and looking back on this thread will be hilarious. JT Miller is not a needle moving player. You don’t use a first and third to acquire this. Absolutely bizarre move for a team with many holes still to fill. 

pretending you can predict the future is a risky game. You have just as much chance of looking bad in 2 years. 

Of course, instead of coming to better conclusion of "taking extreme positions is bull$&!#", you and many others on here prefer "my extreme position is correct". And then in a couple of years the people who were wrong will quietly forget, while being super emotional and certain about whatever move is being done on that day.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Horvat .33 points per minute

Miller .30 points per minute.

To be fair Miller was on a very stacked team that won the president trophy... 

Then again they completed the biggest choke job in nhl history so.... :huh:

Whatever, we going for the freakin cup! Cup or Bust! 

• Cheers 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

To be fair, on the offensive side alone, Miller was at Horvat's level from 2016-2018 (High 50s in points). In Tampa, he played a more defensive role and dropped a bit. I would expect him to rise back up to his level that he was at in New York.

Horvat played against top players, Miller didn’t

• Upvote 2

Just now, mpt said:

Horvat played against top players, Miller didn’t

I don't have info on Miller's usage and didn't watch Tampa games. Do you have info to back up that claim? Genuinely curious as I'd like to learn more about Miller.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm still expecting a trade for a defenseman.

The Barrie deal could still happen, but if fans didn't like giving up a 1st, I'm guessing they're not gonna like giving up guys like Virtanen, Gaudette, DiPietro, and Woo. A deal involving Stecher, Sutter, a top prospect, and a 2nd could still happen. 

I hope so. The Canucks will once again be a bottom team once again if they don’t.

Edited by grandmaster

lol at people crying about a conditional 2020 1st for JT MIller, when Toronto gave a conditional 2020 1st just to give up Marleau.

Miller is not a cap dump, he is a 26 year old 50 pt player with good size and positional flexibility. Marleau is a cap dump.

I could see Miller become a borderline pt per game player. He got 18 pts in 19 games after being traded to Tampa. Then he got 47 pts despite playing on the 3rd line. 
I doubt Tampa Bay would have tied the record for wins without Miller playing on the 3rd line and power play. They were a stacked team, and the cost is giving up good players because that kind of success is not sustainable. I doubt they liked the idea of giving up Miller, who is signed to good money and term. 
We might not make the playoffs in 2020, but we will in 2021. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2