The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

All signs point to Vancouver upgrading defense via Free Agency, but there is not much there and no thanks to Myers at a longer term deal at $ 6m or higher.

Personally like the Miller trade, was hoping such assets would have been utilized to add a defenseman via trade. 

The team to me anyways projects at another season missing the Playoffs, utilize another top 10? pick, then next summer aim to add Free Agent pieces to take the next step.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You can’t rely on players being available next year.  Too much changes.  Myers is interested and fills a big need on D.  You take the sure thing and take a step this year.  I don’t think you put a pause because someone may be available next year as a UFA.  The fact that he is actually in Van vs the other cities likely means we get first crack at making it work.  He would provide a ton of d stability:

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Joulevi Stecher

By end of year:

Edler Myers

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Stecher

Tanev traded to recoup a draft pick we lost for J.T. Miller.  Just think it could be essentially J.T. Miller for Tanev if we can recoup a late first or early second at the deadline.

Agreed. I think it would be great if we took the chance and waited on Barrie to be a UFA for example, but we cannot afford to take that kind of a risk without a guarantee. Myers can be a forsure thing and potentially can even excel here who knows. I think it is worth the risk for him or Gardiner. Both become an upgrade over our team in terms of play and durability, which I think is huge. We need a defensive line that can stick around, not one that moves around because of consistent injuries. 

I have to be honest, I haven't seen enough of Myers to know how aggressive of a player he is, but I want to assume his size matched up with Quinn Hughes will make players feel they cannot just push him around. 

• Upvote 1

I think 6 years term would be ideal for Myers. I heard some of the Sportsnet guys on the radio on Friday. Brian Burke thinks Tyler Myers will get a 6 year deal which to me makes a lot of sense. Being that we often give the extra year to other teams free agents will see if that happens here. Burke is thinking 7M'ish in that range.

I find it a bit odd how many people on these boards are opposed to signing Myers - and yet there are so many what would advocate signing Gardiner, or chasing one of the many rumoured puck movers out there - neither a weak defensive LHD nor an undersized pmd makes sense imo = whereas Myers is the type of player this team needs.  Are there better two way RHD out there - probably - but are any of them available - and what would the asset cost be?  In some of those cases you're not only breaking the bank in terms of spending assets, but you're still going to be on the hook for comparable terms.

So I think the plan was to use an asset to get the moderately priced forward that is such a good fit for EP - and then go about adding to the blueline by other means - and that makes solid sense to me givein the rarity of finding a foward with some power to his game - at the stage and terms that a guy like MIller came at (ideal). 

Where Myers is concerned, let's look at some of his outcomes:

In Winnipeg last year:

56.7% ozone starts

48.8% corsi

Principal partners were Kulikov (44.9%, then Morrow 21.5%, and Chiarot 15.4%)

A few things there - his 'underlying numbers weren't particularly impressive, even factoring in his partners - and relative to theirs.

However:

On ice goals against 2.9 goals for, 2.6 against (+11).

So while his minutes weren't necessarily hard minutes - those were somewhat spread around the Wpg blueline (and in the end, no one on that blueline had under 50% ozone starts - they were a strong 'possession' team).

Myers goal metrics somewhat reverse his shot differentials - something you sometimes see with this kind of defenseman - he and his partner might give up shot attempts, but Myers' on ice sv% tends to be fairly strong (similar trends with guys like Gudbranson for example - who in his case, tends to deter players from going to the net).

97 hits,  99 blocks - reasonable 'grit' numbers.

63 giveaways, 32 takeaways = as the guy on his pairing that pushes the play moreso than his partner, and produces more, his giveaways might be somewhat expected, although I imagine this is something the GameDayThread crowd might lose it over.

9 goals and 22 assists - is something the team could use in addition to his size and ability to kill penalties - the team will need at the very least a secondary pk unit defenseman - one reason why adding another pmd to this mix does not really make any sense.

Myers production throughout his career has been  very consistent, slightly above .4 ppg - and that is something that the team could use out of another two way D - he's a guy that could take some load off both Edler and Tanev.   Is he a high end offensive or high end defensive blueliner = probably not - but when you take the integrated set of attributes, he's a better cumulative defenseman than either of the isolated components.

I'd be a bit uneasy poaching players from Winnipeg, but if they're not going to re-sign him,  I think the Canucks should.

The additional thing is that he still leaves room if the team were to go out and get a 1RD - or Woo were to grow into that role - Myers could remain a top 4 - and if the other guy is young enough or a reasonable contract, having Myers in the 2RHD spot in the $6.5 range remains reasonable/viable.

I think with Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Stecher all likely to be reasonable cap hits for at least the first half, if not more of Myers potential term, the blueline cap hit would be workable with him in the mix - and Edler expiring in two years.

6 x 6.5 and I would be in.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

We can offer the other first as a condition if we really wanted too. I don't like the idea of moving the next 2 years tho. Unless we plan on acquiring more firsts or seconds. 

Which is still feasible.

Once a pick is conditionally added to a deal it cannot be used in future trades or offer sheets. Unless the language of the deal states it can be any pick the Canucks possess at a certain date which it seems this one doesn't. 

1 minute ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I wouldn’t mind Myers at all. Maybe 3-4 years at around 6 mil?  We need some size back there. If Edler and/or Tanev go down to injury (likely), Myers can log heavy minutes. 

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-Myers

Hutton-Stetcher

Biega

No free agent is signing with a new team for that low term. At least 6 years I bet

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Agreed, lets be realistic here, 29 year old in his prime, we are talking 7 years at 7mln per year easy here from the start

Exactly.

That type of unrealistic thinking is why nobody is ever happy around here, unrealistic expectations.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I like Myers but damn there may be two more rightys next year hitting UFA. Barrie and Larsson. Would rather have either of them over Myers to be honest. 

You deal with that then. Can’t do nothing in case something better comes along. That’s not how you win.

The Sharks are reportedly hearing offers on Brendan Dillon. Hopefully Benning is showing interest, as he checks a lot of boxes. Replaces Schenn’s physicality and then some, cap hit of $3.27M, slots into the top four immediately. 

According to Kevin Kurz who covers the Sharks for the Athletic:

As 

has reported, the Sharks could be willing to move Brenden Dillon and his $3.27 million salary cap hit in the right deal

• Cheers 3

I wouldn’t sign him for over 4 years but the chances of that could be very slim. That being said, he checks a lot of the boxes we need. Veteran, size, good but not great defensively, and is good for about 30+ points. He can also lay the body when he needs to. We should stay away from the smaller/offensive guys, our blueline will see much more offense with Quinn Hughes, and Juolevi/Woo/Tyramkin could be point producers if/when they make it.

I'm up for anything that will make our team better. Hoping with the cap not at the level most thought it would be that maybe it will lower the expected $ that free agents will get this summer. I'm ok with Myers, depending on the final numbers. Would kind of be a bit more interested in Gardiner. Could his injury this past season possibly limit his salary this summer? Maybe he'd have to settle for a bit less due to health concerns. Kind of think I'd maybe make a play for him if you can get him cheaper due to injury concerns. Higher ceiling guy, tho more risk than Myers. At the end of the day, this team needs to continue to show some improvement. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Sharks are reportedly hearing offers on Brendan Dillon. Hopefully Benning is showing interest, as he checks a lot of boxes. Replaces Schenn’s physicality and then some, cap hit of $3.27M, slots into the top four immediately. 

According to Kevin Kurz who covers the Sharks for the Athletic:

As 

has reported, the Sharks could be willing to move Brenden Dillon and his $3.27 million salary cap hit in the right deal

best deal for us would be Hutton but they can't afford Hutty either. Maybe a 2020 4th? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

best deal for us would be Hutton but they can't afford Hutty either. Maybe a 2020 4th? 

Certainly. They need Dillon’s cap hit off the books. Benning could offer a middling prospect as well. Players like Dillon would be instrumental in helping the young defensive core play with some confidence. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Would love 5 years but that isnt going to happen. I'm guessing a 6 years times 7 million coming up. That's a lot but if I compare it to what we gave to LE and what we got in return its palatable. Adding Myers and losing LE's cap hit would be great. 

Would absolutely be a dream come true.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly. They need Dillon’s cap hit off the books. Benning could offer a middling prospect as well. Players like Dillon would be instrumental in helping the young defensive core play with some confidence. 

we can buy out Spooner and bury Schaller and afford Dillon's cap hit too. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You deal with that then. Can’t do nothing in case something better comes along. That’s not how you win.

I agree. More a comment on timing than anything. Myers would be a great upgrade on D. I prefer Larsson and Barrie but when I group the three right side UFA'S together coupled with our dire need for upgrade at that position we will do fine by signing at least Myers. If we strike out on Myers this year then maybe one of the other options are there next year. 

• Upvote 1