The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

15 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I honestly don't think management would mind bringing him back... just not at the value he would probably have gotten through arb.

Hutton for 2-2.5 sounds just fine to me.

I think Hutton will test the market out. I feel like he's worth a 1 year $3.25M deal in this current market and I wouldn't at all be upset if we paid him that (although $2.5M sounds a lot better). I think he still has potential to round out as a solid #5 that can move up in a pinch and that's an NHL asset that you'd hate to lose for nothing. He has a great summer camp with A level athletes, so I think he's putting the work in.

For Benning's sake, I hope he gets Hutton signed to a good deal. If he can re-sign Hutton for less than his QO, it will be a quiet, but solid move. All will be forgotten come July 1st though...

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not saying Hutton is trash. He still has potential but he is a player that you can find in free agency quite easily or on waivers. Teams will ususally wait to get a player of this talent level for free and not give up assets. What by chance do you think Hutton was worth last deadline? Maybe he was shopped and no one wanted him. I agree with a previous poster in that I see Sautner as being a better player soon if not already. 

I wouldn't go that far. #7-8-9 D go on waivers. Hutton isn't going to win any Norris trophies but he's a decent 3rd pairing guy and still relatively young. If it wasn't for his contract (*insert Luongo meme*), he'd be a valuable asset.

Edit:

Ah, I'll just do it myself!

1a8391bbe640040b30836f8d742e39813b8a8226106eeb5b3e29cacd37c395c5.jpg

Saw this one too and LOL'd. 

luongo.jpg

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If that's all you see, you're way beyond my help.

Can't think of a bigger waste of my time either.

Pretty lame excuse for a cop-out.

"A rebuild is subjective" was a little more creative, I'd say.

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't go that far. #7-8-9 D go on waivers. Hutton isn't going to win any Norris trophies but he's a decent 3rd pairing guy and still relatively young. If it wasn't for his contract (*insert Luongo meme*), he'd be a valuable asset.

Maybe a little harsh on my part. I'm not trying to come down on Hutton people, I'm actually a fan of his. At times last year he looked great. Probably a product of too much ice time last year once injuries set in and it was too much for him. Great rookie season, god awfull two seasons ago. He's still a project in that I agree he is still relatively young with potential to improve. 

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Biega was very underrated offensively last year IMO, but I think his defensive play was exposed last year with some more playing time. I think Hutton's defensive game is a bit stronger. However, I can't argue that Hutton is a better offensive player than Biega based on last year and wouldn't be shocked if Biega is the better player overall next year.

Agreed. Biega may get caught out of position sometimes but his overall game is better imo. The thing that frustrates me about Hutton the most is that he always chips the puck off the boards when he doesn’t need to and it has been a bad habit of his. 

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Maybe a little harsh on my part. I'm not trying to come down on Hutton people, I'm actually a fan of his. At times last year he looked great. Probably a product of too much ice time last year once injuries set in and it was too much for him. Great rookie season, god awfull two seasons ago. He's still a project in that I agree he is still relatively young with potential to improve. 

I would personally like 1 more season to evaluate Hutton, Virtanen and Goldobin. All 3 could be gone by opening night though.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think Hutton will test the market out. I feel like he's worth a 1 year $3.25M deal in this current market and I wouldn't at all be upset if we paid him that (although $2.5M sounds a lot better). I think he still has potential to round out as a solid #5 that can move up in a pinch and that's an NHL asset that you'd hate to lose for nothing.

Well he has no choice now but to test the market.  I say 3.25 is too much to be honest, and if a team pays him that, then good for him.  I know not everyone heeds +/- but man was his awful in that regard - and wasn't usually the primary shutdown guy from what I recall - despite getting big minutes when Edler went down. He isnt that physical for his size either.

I agree we don't want to lose assets for nothing - but I just don't value him as an asset because he has small chance of being a #5 guy. We don't need low end guys - especially multi million dollar contracts for low end guys imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, danjr said:

Two years ago this would not have been a surprise given the way he played.

Last year I think he really elevated his game, especially after so many guys went down with injuries.
Can we actually let him walk away when we are screaming for defence of any type of caliber?

Am I missing something here?

Are they trying to make room for a couple of big D signings?

There is already a thread on this. I took the liberty of merging your thread into it. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, ButterBean said:

Biega>Hutton all day. More physical, faster, works harder, and chips in some offense.    

Hey, I'm never disappointed to see Biega's name in the lineup. Gotta love the guy. Would it shock anyone if Biega came back even better next year? Never count him out.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

LOL @ no market for Myers. Benning haters would have a field day with this one.

But, of course, all of a sudden - a market for Hutton!!!  As an RFA - teams that wanted him so they could qualify him and pay the arbitration price. 

Elliot's story smells off here as well.

And the Leafs....if only they'd had the cap :(

Dumb ol' Bennig couldn't get it done, though.