The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lots of people.   I recall a lot of "Ben Hutton" is 'legit top 4' talk - and not just in his rookie/breakout season - but throughout his terrible sophomore setback and it even persistedthrough last year.  He was a favorite of a lot of folks - understandable from a personality perspective - and understandable in the sense that he possesses a great toolbox - size, mobility, can move the puck....but not so much if people were paying close attention to his actual game.

It's his mental immaturity / decision-making that has let him down imo though - possibly correctible...

But I'm not sure why people are connecting him to Calgary here.

The rumour would seem to be that Calgary is looking hard at the trade market - which would seem to indicate at least on of two things - 1) they either aren't particularly interested in the UFA leftovers at this point (although personally I think there are a few potential real bargain depth guys still available - guys like Sbisa and Hutton....and/or 2) they are looking to the trade market because they want/need to move a contract or cap in the process.

My thoughts would be - if they are as high on Valimaki as they appear - perhaps an acquisition isn't as vital (although they may be looking at a tight western conference and wanting to ensure they are more competitive) - but otherwise, a placeholder like Sbisa/Hutton could be effective enough as a 3HLD until Valimaki's return.   I'm not a 'fan' of Hutton at the kind of money that was rumoured to be his expectations - but as a leftover depth signing, it's hard to do better than a young guy like him, with his size, skating, experience and potential to regain form he has shown earlier (when there wasn't really any pressure to perform).   Maybe that's a bit of a key to him recovering - if he could find circumstances where he's not feeling the pressure/expectations...in that sense, Calgary may not be ideal for him, but in another sense it could be a good opportunity on a team that has relatively effective depth to play with.  The other concern in Calgary might be that he'd likely be paired with Rasmus Andersson - is Hutton the best complement to a young partner?  If I'm Calgary I'm probably in touch with Sbisa (if the trade market doesn't pan out - as it is guys like Kronwall, McQuaid etc may be priced out of their cap flexibility.

Well there were always a chorus of Hutton is a bum as well (mainly through that sophomore season). And as most things, it's generally in the middle. I think the expectation was that he would be a top 4 dman, but I'd be surprised if many thought that today. Many people like Hutton, but I think most expected him to be a bottom pairing guy, so not worth his qualifying offer/asking price.

I forget who it was, but someone that watches the Flames a lot was suggesting to me that Andersson is being groomed to be a #1/top pairing dman. Not sure I'd agree with it, but it could shift Andersson up the depth and a more seasoned vet gets partnered with Hutton then.

I just don't see a fit for Calgary if he keeps his 3 million dollar ask as it doesn't make sense for them to buyout Stone for this, but maybe if he lowers his price. If he does, I imagine there will be more teams interested in his services at that point because I think Hutton is a very capable bottom pairing guy that can fill a top 4 role on a temporary basis, much like a Sbisa (who I imagine would be a cheaper option at this moment).

I think they are looking at a trade to indeed help with their cap situation and if it lines up that they get help on D, then it's beneficial. On paper, it only appears they need like a 7/8 dman in case Kylington doesn't work out well enough, so the UFA market really seems to be the best for their situation.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lots of people.   I recall a lot of "Ben Hutton" is 'legit top 4' talk - and not just in his rookie/breakout season - but throughout his terrible sophomore setback and it even persistedthrough last year.  He was a favorite of a lot of folks - understandable from a personality perspective - and understandable in the sense that he possesses a great toolbox - size, mobility, can move the puck....but not so much if people were paying close attention to his actual game.

It's his mental immaturity / decision-making that has let him down imo though - possibly correctible...

But I'm not sure why people are connecting him to Calgary here.

The rumour would seem to be that Calgary is looking hard at the trade market - which would seem to indicate at least on of two things - 1) they either aren't particularly interested in the UFA leftovers at this point (although personally I think there are a few potential real bargain depth guys still available - guys like Sbisa and Hutton....and/or 2) they are looking to the trade market because they want/need to move a contract or cap in the process.

My thoughts would be - if they are as high on Valimaki as they appear - perhaps an acquisition isn't as vital (although they may be looking at a tight western conference and wanting to ensure they are more competitive) - but otherwise, a placeholder like Sbisa/Hutton could be effective enough as a 3HLD until Valimaki's return.   I'm not a 'fan' of Hutton at the kind of money that was rumoured to be his expectations - but as a leftover depth signing, it's hard to do better than a young guy like him, with his size, skating, experience and potential to regain form he has shown earlier (when there wasn't really any pressure to perform).   Maybe that's a bit of a key to him recovering - if he could find circumstances where he's not feeling the pressure/expectations...in that sense, Calgary may not be ideal for him, but in another sense it could be a good opportunity on a team that has relatively effective depth to play with.  The other concern in Calgary might be that he'd likely be paired with Rasmus Andersson - is Hutton the best complement to a young partner?  If I'm Calgary I'm probably in touch with Sbisa (if the trade market doesn't pan out - as it is guys like Kronwall, McQuaid etc may be priced out of their cap flexibility.

Yes I remember the talk was Hutton and Stech were our top 4 pairing before JB went out and picked up some quality D men. Now Hutton is out and Stech has been pushed to our bottom pairing as it should be. A lot of our players are over valued from some of CDCers.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Hutton is a prime example of how the Canucks’ fan base overvalues it’s players. Everyone here thought he was awesome yet nobody wants him as anything beyond a late August bargain bin pick up. He’s probably seen as a 6/7/8 guy all around the league.  

Really?  I don't recall anyone even suggesting that, including myself with his namesake as a handle.

There is just as much devaluation of players here as overvaluation.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Really?  I don't recall anyone even suggesting that, including myself with his namesake as a handle.

There is just as much devaluation of players here as overvaluation.

That OP may of exaggerated a little bit by saying everyone, but easily more than 50% on here felt he was much better of a player then he was, so I believe that poster is correct, except on the part of saying everyone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I remember the talk was Hutton and Stech were our top 4 pairing before JB went out and picked up some quality D men. Now Hutton is out and Stech has been pushed to our bottom pairing as it should be. A lot of our players are over valued from some of CDCers.

That talk was mostly terrified fear in the Edler thread when we were getting worried we wouldn’t be able to sign him.

Basically nobody though he was an actual first pairing D, the prevailing thought was that this past year was his high water mark and if we could get anything for him in trade we should have pulled the trigger.... before he proved that he wasn’t and that the pairing was carried almost entirely by Stecher.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Where do you play him?  There's nowhere in the top 6 and he's certainly not going to play bottom 6

I get the sense that Goldobin might be the odd man out come training camp. There's almost no room for him on the roster besides being the extra forward. But how is that going to help him in his "development"? 

The kid needs a top six role on this team, if not, maybe - maybe a middle six role? But if he can't even make it there, then there's no room for him here. Either a trade is in the works for the kid, or he's going to be sent on waivers. I can't see him agreeing to a two way deal. If he signs a two-way deal, that's great cause then the Canucks can send him down to the AHL without fear of losing him on waivers. If he's on waivers, he's going to be picked up by a team looking to take a gamble on Goldy, and he may just pan out for the next team that picks him up. May

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I get the sense that Goldobin might be the odd man out come training camp. There's almost no room for him on the roster besides being the extra forward. But how is that going to help him in his "development"? 

The kid needs a top six role on this team, if not, maybe - maybe a middle six role? But if he can't even make it there, then there's no room for him here. Either a trade is in the works for the kid, or he's going to be sent on waivers. I can't see him agreeing to a two way deal. If he signs a two-way deal, that's great cause then the Canucks can send him down to the AHL without fear of losing him on waivers. If he's on waivers, he's going to be picked up by a team looking to take a gamble on Goldy, and he may just pan out for the next team that picks him up. May

As of now, Goldobin isn't a Canuck and I feel they are just going to cut him loose 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Goldobin is waiver eligible whether he signs a 1-way or a 2-way deal.  It's a salary distinction and not a waiver condition.  

1-way means that he will get the same salary in the NHL and the AHL.  Two-way he will get a different salary in the AHL vs the NHL.  Boucher, Sautner had two-way deals - they still had to go through waivers last season.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Goldobin is waiver eligible whether he signs a 1-way or a 2-way deal.  It's a salary distinction and not a waiver condition.  

1-way means that he will get the same salary in the NHL and the AHL.  Two-way he will get a different salary in the AHL vs the NHL.  Boucher, Sautner had two-way deals - they still had to go through waivers last season.

Ahh. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Appreciate it. 

13 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I see Ben Hutton signing with the jets.

I get the sense we see teams like the Jets, Flames, Avs, Pens, Leafs and other contender-types circle back to Hutton in late August and say, here is what we’re willing to do. We’ll give you 1.5 million, a chance to win and a chance to put up some decent numbers and cash in next season...you in? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, stawns said:

As of now, Goldobin isn't a Canuck and I feel they are just going to cut him loose 

I think it comes down to, whoever shows up in September, ready to play and do whatever is necessary to win a job. 

That's the way its supposed to be! 

• Upvote 1