The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

33 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I hope Ben finds a job soon. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. 

He really seemed to embrace being a professional athlete, not just a hockey player last year. 

It would be great if the Canucks could get him back at a reasonably good number.

Almost like losing a brother. Kid played his heart out this year no doubt. I mean sometimes players have to move on but certain ones it’s kinda odd seeing them on another team. Hutton’s one for me, hope he finds a spot on in the NHL and continues to prove himself

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think he will sign around 2 - 2.5 million, well below what he might have been awarded in arbitration. 

Smart move by JB

I strongly disagree he gets anything in the 2's. Low 1's and not necessarily from Van. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I strongly disagree he gets anything in the 2's. Low 1's and not necessarily from Van. 

I will be really surprised if he winds up down that low, but I've been surprised before, so not going to completely disagree with you. Weird things happen when cap is constrained like it is this year.

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I will be really surprised if he winds up down that low, but I've been surprised before, so not going to completely disagree with you. Weird things happen when cap is constrained like it is this year.

If he was going to get a contract for 2+ he would've already signed imho. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JesseBlue said:

I have a feeling that the oilers are sniffing at signing him

Why not? They can definitely use the depth. I think they're tight for cap though and I don't know how that would work.

I have them pegged for a top 10 pick this year and at that point I think they consider trading McDavid. I don't see how they can turn it around without blowing it up. What a dump. We crap on Edmonton but you have to feel for their fans. They have had the worst management since NYI and Mike Milbury.

Lol Mcdavid traded?!

Draisatl,RNH, Klefbom and Larson would be traded first.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Why not? They can definitely use the depth. I think they're tight for cap though and I don't know how that would work.

I have them pegged for a top 10 pick this year and at that point I think they consider trading McDavid. I don't see how they can turn it around without blowing it up. What a dump. We crap on Edmonton but you have to feel for their fans. They have had the worst management since NYI and Mike Milbury.

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

If he was going to get a contract for 2+ he would've already signed imho. 

Arbitration would have given him over + $4mil. I thought Hutton had a decent season last year and closed strong with a lot of top pairing TOI. One can argue where he would fit on a CUP contender and I would suggest as 3LD. I like his size and skating. He has shown more offensive upside than Stecher although Stecher might peak out higher. Both are 3rd pairing d-men right now. The dif being is size and thusly the ability to defend in heavy games. Hutton is superior. 

i was surprised that Benning was not able to recover some value if Hutton was not in his plans. Highly likely that neither Hutton or Stecher were/are in the long term plans. IMHO the prospect depth will pass them by. That said Stecher never ceases to surprise me with his unsurpassed drive and determination. I also thought he had a decent year last year.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Arbitration would have given him over + $4mil. I thought Hutton had a decent season last year and closed strong with a lot of top pairing TOI. One can argue where he would fit on a CUP contender and I would suggest as 3LD. I like his size and skating. He has shown more offensive upside than Stecher although Stecher might peak out higher. Both are 3rd pairing d-men right now. The dif being is size and thusly the ability to defend in heavy games. Hutton is superior. 

i was surprised that Benning was not able to recover some value if Hutton was not in his plans. Highly likely that neither Hutton or Stecher were/are in the long term plans. IMHO the prospect depth will pass them by. That said Stecher never ceases to surprise me with his unsurpassed drive and determination. I also thought he had a decent year last year.  

Stecher's a better D than Hutton.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I have a CRA question for those of you that have knowledge... is Hutton eligible for EI now that he's out of work temporarily? not that he needs the EI cheques... 

it contract work  so not eligible for benefits    lol could you imagine  if injured players had to go thru worksafe bc  if they got injured lmao 

15 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I have Edmonton relatives, and NO WE DON'T.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Any team trading for him would give up an asset and qualify him at 4mill. Makes zero sense.  They could just go sign him for a quarter of that as Ufa right now. Everyone knew Canucks wouldn't qualify him at 4mill.  

• Cheers 1