The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

On 8/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I know, he will be, or, he’ll be traded somewhere else. Not like he has any actual negotiating leverage.

I think the most likely outcome is that he will just sign in the KHL....

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If that. His plus minus stats have always been awful. I don’t see Hutton landing anywhere.

Damon Severson also had an awful +/- all it means is you were on an awful team... 

Judging a player solely on the +/- is incredibly weak imo. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think he will get a PTO somewhere, likely Ottawa.  Benning was wise walking away from Hutton.  

I don't think Benning really wanted to walk away from Hutton, but I think losing Hutton is better than paying him 4 million dollars because of arbitration,, I think Hutton has a team in mind he wants to sign with but might be waiting for RFA's to sign before the team is ready to put pen to paper

If POOliot can get a deal, Hutton surely will 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hutton is looking at a PTO.  

Maybe? I'm sure he's already been offered a try out. But there's still some time left. I think it's been a weird year for free agency. All the remaining unsigned RFAs probably has an impact. Isn't Jake Gardiner still available? I think there's still a few more dominoes left to fall before the Ben Huttons of the world find a home. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think he will get a PTO somewhere, likely Ottawa.  Benning was wise walking away from Hutton.  

Not re-signing Ben Huton was a solid lowkey move that Benning won't get a lot of credit for. The haters will probably say Benning should have traded him and got something back. Benning also could have easily qualified Hutton and hoped for the best. Instead he let Hutton walk and replaced him with a hard nosed local boy at half the cost. Well played.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Looking at this topic again I find it a bit odd that Hutton and Gardiner are both not signed.  The other interesting element is that their previous salary doesn't appear to be far off what they should get based on their performance (Gardiner maybe closer to 5), however Gardiner will still likely get around 6-7mil and Hutton will get around PTO-1.5mil once signed.  That is quite the range between players with similar performance last year.

Hutton.png.605b5f86c8d3fdb88bd12197b4aa4347.png

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2019 at 10:38 AM, grandmaster said:

If that. His plus minus stats have always been awful. I don’t see Hutton landing anywhere.

I’m old enough to remember when Bo Horvat was -30 one season. On top of that, he’s never had a season where he wasn’t a minus player!  His plus minus stats have always been awful. I don’t see Horvat landing anywhere. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I’m old enough to remember when Bo Horvat was -30 one season. On top of that, he’s never had a season where he wasn’t a minus player!  His plus minus stats have always been awful. I don’t see Horvat landing anywhere. 

I think that rocket is way off course....

Don't let me ever ever ever , eeervvvvvveerr catch you talking smack of Saint Bowie again!

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Derpt derpa derp

On 8/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, The_Rocket said:

Ummm….you make it sound like he's played on the team 30 years!  LOL!  

On 8/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, ktcy2 said:

Hutton should get signed somewhere but he is a bottom pairing D at maximum potential. He isn’t physical, so he will only get a spot with teams that wanna ice an average D in their bottom pair with minor upside. 

That bit about max potential might be a little over the top....

On 8/18/2019 at 4:27 PM, BO_Scorvat said:

I don't think Benning really wanted to walk away from Hutton, but I think losing Hutton is better than paying him 4 million dollars because of arbitration,, I think Hutton has a team in mind he wants to sign with but might be waiting for RFA's to sign before the team is ready to put pen to paper

If POOliot can get a deal, Hutton surely will 

Does the whole thing not boil down to the structure of Hutton's prior deal. Hence the silly 4m cap hit it would have required with arbitration. Hutton as a bottom pair guy should be able to play in the NHL in a reduced role. His cap hit is just going to have to be lower or he will have to go across the ocean to play