The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Luke Schenn moving on?

6 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Would rather have Schenn over Biega, whatever it’s a 3rd pairing dman

I like Schenn, but I don't get why people continue to sandbag Biega.

Forget the 'pedigree' for a moment.

Biega played 17:40 / game last year.

Had 16 points in 41 games. 15 of them at even strength - makes him a D with 30 even strength points over 80g.

He had less than 50% ozone starts (48.7%) and a very good corsi, considering he was for the most part stepping up in the lineup (51% corsi).

He had 101 hits in 41 games - translates to a 200 hit season (over 82 games).

He had very good on ice goal metrics as well - an even 0, with 2.8 on ice goals for and against per 60.

Factor in that most of that was while performing for a depleted team that missed the playoffs.

And make note that this is a solid framed 200lb guy that moves around the ice very well....

Now - if you scratch out the name Alex Biega - and line those outcomes up for a guy entering free agency - he cashes in wadr.

Again, I like Schenn, but he was in behind Biega in the depth chart - for a number of reasons that translate into Biega being a helluva good 4RHD.

• Upvote 4

People need to realize this may have very little to do with Benning wanting him back or not. He's likely looking for a starting 6 spot and term/security. Two things he's in no way guaranteed or even likely to get here.

Sometimes, as much as the team might love to have him back as a solid depth option, it's just not a fit for what the player wants/can get elsewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like Schenn, but I don't get why people continue to sandbag Biega.

Forget the 'pedigree' for a moment.

Biega played 17:40 / game last year.

Had 16 points in 41 games. 15 of them at even strength - makes him a D with 30 even strength points over 80g.

He had less than 50% ozone starts (48.7%) and a very good corsi, considering he was for the most part stepping up in the lineup (51% corsi).

He had 101 hits in 41 games - translates to a 200 hit season (over 82 games).

He had very good on ice goal metrics as well - an even 0, with 2.8 on ice goals for and against per 60.

Factor in that most of that was while performing for a depleted team that missed the playoffs.

And make note that this is a solid framed 200lb guy that moves around the ice very well....

Now - if you scratch out the name Alex Biega - and line those outcomes up for a guy entering free agency - he cashes in wadr.

Again, I like Schenn, but he was in behind Biega in the depth chart - for a number of reasons that translate into Biega being a helluva good 4RHD.

Perhaps The best world would be to have both players at our finger tips,  Schenn could possibly turn himself into a valuable asset to move if a prospect pushed hard for a regular spot..  and dare we say, injuries, have always set this D core back.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am surprised the Canucks did not sign him earlier. By all accounts he would have been happy to sign in Vancouver and he probably would have signed for even less, maybe just one year at 1 million. At worst, if things did not work out, the Canucks could put him on waivers and, if he did not get picked up, send him to Utica.  Last year he helped the team a lot and the Canucks were a better team after he joined. Both his abilities, including toughness and physical play, and his attitude helped the team. He was more valuable than expected and just seemed like a gift. But the Canucks seem so focused on landing an expensive UFA that they were apparently unwilling to devote even a small amount of cap room to him.

Anyway, I like Schenn and I wish him the best.

Like the opposite of how they dealt with Biega who they signed to term before they had to and there was no feee or him being picked up somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Apparently he has a new routine and is as fit as he has ever been.

Probably looking for a little security. 2yrs, $1.25 million per kind of deal.

That should be fine for the Canucks. 

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

People need to realize this may have very little to do with Benning wanting him back or not. He's likely looking for a starting 6 spot and term/security. Two things he's in no way guaranteed or even likely to get here.

Sometimes, as much as the team might love to have him back as a solid depth option, it's just not a fit for what the player wants/can get elsewhere.

He ended up waived to the minors, but purportedly has or is rebuilding his game.  Whether he has or not, it's still prudent to sign him on a two-way contract.  If someone else will give him a one-way, especially if for more than one year, it's probably best to let him walk.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

We pay the most taxes on gas, ferry rides, property, income, etc.  People, we are being gouged.  We are all sheep.

People complain about taxes, until they need a kidney.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

My co-worker was talking about our expensive west coast paradise.  His relative from California told him we need more hippies.  Hippies will demonstrate all day long and will never give up until things change.  B.C. residents will complain, then go back to watch their TV and forget about it.  The Liberal politicians know this.  Money always rules vs the people lives.  That's why they didn't do anything when the dirty money came into BC.  Fck the people.

Going out for food in California is cheap compared to going out in B.C.  Many businesses in BC that has been around for decades are now closing up because of the taxes.  We pay the most taxes on gas, ferry rides, property, income, etc.  People, we are being gouged.  We are all sheep.

You are welcome to Sweden any day :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

He ended up waived to the minors, but purportedly has or is rebuilding his game.  Whether he has or not, it's still prudent to sign him on a two-way contract.  If someone else will give him a one-way, especially if for more than one year, it's probably best to let him walk.

In think it's more a case of writing being on the wall with likely depth changes with us signing/trading for additional right D. Even if we do move Tanev, if we sign/trade for another couple D, it still leaves him at best our 4th or 5th right D.

As counter intuitive as it seems, he'll likely have a better shot seeing ice on team like Tampa where their top 4 is better and eats up 45+ minutes a night and they can shelter a guy like Schenn on the 3rd pair, playing +/- 12 minutes as their 3rd or 4th RD. We'll need our pairs to be playing a much more even 22+/-, 20+/- and 18+/- minutes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well this blows... 

His deal better be a 3 year deal or else I will be wondering why we didn’t sign him. Maybe it’s the fact there’s no taxes in Florida? I would’ve given him 2x2 mil without thinking twice about it. 

Ya, my guess is he’s getting a one way, 2 year deal and given the tax advantages of Florida and chance to win a cup (don’t discount that draw for him late in his career), we’d have to offer a lot more. This is likely his last paycheque he’s going to want the most he can get and a chance for a cup with that is pretty enticing.

its a no brainer move for Schenn if its a cheaper contract being offered to him and likely 1 maybe 2 years term. Pays way less tax in Tampa, plus goes to a team who while being ousted in the 1st round...they have a much higher chance of making a push for a cup and at worst playing playoff hockey next year. Luke isn't a spring chicken, go with the best contract and best chance to win.

I think it was a nice showing for him here, but would he be able to play that way over a full season? He was basically on his way out of the league until we got him...maybe we saw the best of Luke in that short window of games?