The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are You Okay If The Canucks Offer Sheet Over 11 mil?

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

Dear lord.  We just "peaked" in terms of our semi-recent history by "only" finishing 9th worst in the league.  And now it's time to trade away a 1st round (quite possibly) lottery pick (already done) and also sacrifice four more first round picks because we're apparently that close to winning the Cup and it's time to go all in...

In poker terms, based on last season...that's like going all-in after the flop with a pair of fours or something.  Finishing 9th worst in the league doesn't mean the rebuild is over and it's time to start doing 2nds for Carney again.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I think we are a lot farther away than Marner. And a top dman is the most difficult piece to get which makes sense since we never had one.....

I am not sure who was the closest between Ehrhoff, jovo, ohlund, salo, and one year of Edler but none were bonafide top 2 .

i think we need a better third line center than sutter, a better goalie than markstrom and someone more experienced than demko. Our d is in complete shambles. And ep a Hughes are still raw and not totally proven yet.

we are far far away unfortunately....

Strange thread considering the criticism coming from the OP over Benning trading picks away yet this is a proposal he would consider.

Tomatoes you must be sick to your stomach that Benning just signed these defenseman... OR will you criticize this too.   Yes MG had some good defenseman....considering Ballard a former 40 plus young promising guy was our extra man ... we had the deepest defense in the league at the time. 

With Hughes, Myers, Tanev and Edler that’s a very respectable top four, Benn and Stecher also a very respectable bottom pairing.  Tryamkin and OJ in the wings, depth is definitely on its way.  

Far away from a cup?  Maybe.  Far away from the playoffs?  Not anymore...Geeze Luois...three year rebuild and we are back into the playoffs when every other rebuilding team is taking a decade or more.   Must have a terrible GM right? Ha ha. Your posts are so far in left field sometimes...but keep up the good fight it’s fun to watch trolls go under their bridges ... to be re-born under a separate identity ... is that you Gaurdian?

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Strange thread considering the criticism coming from the OP over Benning trading picks away yet this is a proposal he would consider.

Tomatoes you must be sick to your stomach that Benning just signed these defenseman... OR will you criticize this too.   Yes MG had some good defenseman....considering Ballard a former 40 plus young promising guy was our extra man ... we had the deepest defense in the league at the time. 

With Hughes, Myers, Tanev and Edler that’s a very respectable top four, Benn and Stecher also a very respectable bottom pairing.  Tryamkin and OJ in the wings, depth is definitely on its way.  

Far away from a cup?  Maybe.  Far away from the playoffs?  Not anymore...Geeze Luois...three year rebuild and we are back into the playoffs when every other rebuilding team is taking a decade or more.   Must have a terrible GM right? Ha ha. Your posts are so far in left field sometimes...but keep up the good fight it’s fun to watch trolls go under their bridges ... to be re-born under a separate identity ... is that you Gaurdian?

Yes far away from the cup, which should be our goal.....not to piss away picks to make the playoffs and then just lose everyone like cbj. Why the f would anyone want that?!

oh wait, you Benning homers want that for some reason ... lol

Edited by Tomatoes11

8 minutes ago, spur1 said:

This thread is a waste of time. Should be in the fantasy section. 

Considering the Nucks have 8.7m left in salary cap and still have 6 RFA's to sign; including Brock, this thread should be move to the fanasy section for sure.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Yes far away from the cup, which should be our goal.....not to puss away picks to make the playoffs and then just lose everyone like cbj. Why the f would anyone want that?!

oh wait, you Benning homers want that for some reason ... lol

Get real.  With parity these days anything can happen in the playoffs once you make it and this team is far far away from peaking.   Making the playoffs before half the core is even in their prime will provide invaluable experience going forward. 

The say things sit now it’s very possible we make it this year and things will only get better over the next three years.  Our cup window stars when Podz gets here, three years from now...and should last another 3-5 years as the team matures just like WSH, PIT, Boston and others did/are.   When you have players like we do it’s almost inevitable.  WNP was predicted to be a top team when they were missing the playoffs and adding Laine, Ehlers, Schieffe etc and that’s exactly what happened.  Of course now their D dissipated but that’s not the point.  

Im not a Benning homer, so cut that out. But am a fan of who he’s added to the team and his young core something you most obviously are not hence the troll jobs that litter this site.  Don’t you like EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes etc?  Do you think we sacrificed our future that much by adding Miller and Myers, two spots we were never going to fill with draft picks for a least 3-5 years of more losing?  Get real man.   Eleven tomatoes, I think you’ve thrown a couple hundred already maybe it’s time to sit back and re-evaluate.  Or take a look around the league as see the mistakes ever other GM has made.   Benning isn’t perfect, but he’s done an above average job overall and continues to work hard towards bettering our team without giving up our future.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, IBatch said:

Get real.  With parity these days anything can happen in the playoffs once you make it and this team is far far away from peaking.   Making the playoffs before half the core is even in their prime will provide invaluable experience going forward. 

The say things sit now it’s very possible we make it this year and things will only get better over the next three years.  Our cup window stars when Podz gets here, three years from now...and should last another 3-5 years as the team matures just like WSH, PIT, Boston and others did/are.   When you have players like we do it’s almost inevitable.  WNP was predicted to be a top team when they were missing the playoffs and adding Laine, Ehlers, Schieffe etc and that’s exactly what happened.  Of course now their D dissipated but that’s not the point.  

Im not a Benning homer, so cut that out. But am a fan of who he’s added to the team and his young core something you most obviously are not hence the troll jobs that litter this site.  Don’t you like EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes etc?  Do you think we sacrificed our future that much by adding Miller and Myers, two spots we were never going to fill with draft picks for a least 3-5 years of more losing?  Get real man.   Eleven tomatoes, I think you’ve thrown a couple hundred already maybe it’s time to sit back and re-evaluate.  Or take a look around the league as see the mistakes ever other GM has made.   Benning isn’t perfect, but he’s done an above average job overall and continues to work hard towards bettering our team without giving up our future.  

Well, we are going to for sure sacrifice a big part of our future by tossing the 3rd and 1st we gave up for Miller.

Myers, no but I’d rather have Gardiner. 

And even if the picks took 3-5 years, well it’s been 5 years, they would have been ready by now....which in turn would have bought time for the picks we pissed away for Miller to be ready....

but thanks to benning, the chain has been broken to hell and now we are screwed big time of Miller doesn’t didn’t pan out like the rest of his trades haven’t.

Literally nothing paned out, even his only good ones in The Hansen and Burrows trades.

Edited by Tomatoes11

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Hell no! Our GM already pisses away enough picks. Why would anyone, except the extreme homers that think we are already contenders for some reason, want us to piss away even more. 

I know benning treats picks like pocket change but it will never be the right move unless we are Tampa good.

Were we Tampa good we wouldn't have the cap space for the 9-11m offer sheet, nor the desperate need to do one.

If we are going to go all in as a rebuilding team, which is as inherently flawed as Bennings direction for the team the entire time and I am 100% not on board with, we might as well get creative.

Since the rangers want their rebuild fast forwarded even worse than we do, with panarin at 12 million and Lundquivst aging,  take advantage of it. 

Boeser for Kakko straight up, use the 7 million reserved for Boeser and sign Gardiner too. Banking on kakko getting 30 in his rookie year is a lot less perilous than four freaking 1st round picks. Of course, rangers would need the 7 million cap to sign Boeser which might not be there.

or go Boeser and JV for byram and Jost. 

Or gift JV for someone to take erikkssons contract and sign Gardiner too.

I am not agreeing with going all in now, in fact I am quite against it, but I would gamble on the above before gambling on the four 1sts. 

Consider this, the only reason JB has a job right now is because he can draft. Get rid of all those 1st rounders to grossly overpay for 1 player on our team (that is already tight against the cap) is insane. Let’s worry about locking up Boeser and making sure we have enough to pay Petey and Hughes when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

We can’t even if we wanted to. We loss our own first round pick in the Miller trade.

The only player I would give up 4 1st rounders for is Marner.

We can, team has to be in possession of 4 1st rounders in the next 5 years. 

Our 1rst round pick for next year is currently in the wind on the TJ Miller trade. Which means we couldn’t even offer sheet anybody if we wanted to unless you targeted somebody like Gusev or Puljujarvi and kept it around 4,227,437 mill with a 2nd rounder being the compensation. I wonder if Gusev would sign a multi year deal at 4.2 mill a year.

Edited by flickyoursedin

On 7/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, IBatch said:

Dontcha see... the plan is to keep sucking, miss the playoffs, get high picks all the time, and win the Cup.

Oh, right, ya gotta get into the playoffs first to have a chance.  I keep forgetting that part.  /s

On a whim, I did a little research: looking at the last 25 Cup winners, there have been only 3 teams to win the cup who did not make the playoffs the season before... Blues this year, Hurricanes in '06, and the Rangers in (blech) '94.  Out of that bunch, the Hurricanes were the only team to miss the playoffs for the two seasons prior.  How can anyone expect to win a Cup without getting some playoff experience first, both the team and the coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Dontcha see... the plan is to keep sucking, miss the playoffs, get high picks all the time, and win the Cup.

Oh, right, ya gotta get into the playoffs first to have a chance.  I keep forgetting that part.  /s

On a whim, I did a little research: looking at the last 25 Cup winners, there have been only 3 teams to win the cup who did not make the playoffs the season before... Blues this year, Hurricanes in '06, and the Rangers in (blech) '94.  Out of that bunch, the Hurricanes were the only team to miss the playoffs for the two seasons prior.  How can anyone expect to win a Cup without getting some playoff experience first, both the team and the coach.

That's surprising about the Rangers because I think they finished first place in 94. Goes to show that if the right pieces fall into place it doesn't take long to get strong results.

12 minutes ago, Slegr said:

That's surprising about the Rangers because I think they finished first place in 94. Goes to show that if the right pieces fall into place it doesn't take long to get strong results.

Yep, they were first, and last in their division the year before.  That was pre-Cap era, and NYR were often big spenders, so teams like that could turn it around quicker.  I don't recall if that was how they did it, or the year before was an anomaly.  They were also first overall 2 years prior to winning the Cup... so maybe just some bad injury luck in between?

Also doesn't hurt when the schedule gets changed, helping an old, tired team get a little extra rest... just an old (perhaps tin-foil induced) gripe of mine.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yep, they were first, and last in their division the year before.  That was pre-Cap era, and NYR were often big spenders, so teams like that could turn it around quicker.  I don't recall if that was how they did it, or the year before was an anomaly.  They were also first overall 2 years prior to winning the Cup... so maybe just some bad injury luck in between?

Also doesn't hurt when the schedule gets changed, helping an old, tired team get a little extra rest... just an old (perhaps tin-foil induced) gripe of mine.

PIT and the NYR were the teams to beat back in the early 90’s in the East, both had a lot of talent.   They tore things apart in 94 and brought in playoff experience in favour of younger players, can’t remember the actual count but something like 9 ex oilers.   It worked, but barely, both NJ and VAN took them to game 7.   Screw them.

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, mpt said:

We have no money left

Pretty much this unless JB pulls off a trade or 2 which he probably will but doubtful anyone could pull that off under the circumstances.

Each team can afford to sign so many elites without running into problems signing the bottom six and without even balance throughout the entire team then it won't get far..