The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

I just don't see how losing Tanev at this juncture makes the team better unless we pair a forward and a pick with him to get a better D coming back. Or say a forward and then a Gardiner signing. Even then, I still don't think this makes our defense better.

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Love the idea... but if we retain 50% of Tanev's salary and bring back Hutton.... how do we afford $4M+ in Gusev, Leivo and Goldobin? You still gotta get rid of Sutter and/or Eriksson (also retaining 50% of their salaries??)....

I guess that Luongo cap hit penalty changes things a bit from when I first proposed this idea.

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Assuming the hot air is true for a moment...Would it not be better to prop up Tanev's value and move him at the trade deadline?  

Waiting for the deadline to deal Tanev hasn’t worked for the last 3 years. Why would this year be any different?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

,Tanev is such a dependable defensive D-man and with a reasonable $4M cap hit... I'm sure there's trade interest around the league. We can get him for a couple draft picks. As for Sutter, we should package him with Goldobin to get a big tough guy to replace Schaller! We really don't need Hutton back if he's asking $3M+.

That will free up $8M of cap space to go after another top 6 winger via trade! There are no more top 6 forwards left in the FA market unless you don't mind an aging Justin Williams!

Eriksson.... just dump him to Utica if Edmonton isn't willing to sweeten the Lucic swap!

Your best ability is your availability, and Tanev is absent more than I was in grade 11 Earth Science class.

Edited by Ohthehumanity
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This defence is finally set and the deepest its looked since 2011. Trading Tanev now for a top-6 forward would be a massive mistake.

If JB wants a forward just go out and sign one last UFA. If he's trading Tanev it better only be for a young guy who's going to be with the club in the future and add to our young core but I'd really rather hope he just sits tight because our defence finally looks decent.

Not willing to stick with Tanev on the basis of making playoffs. He is gone so much through injury that relying on his health means very little. Move him and spend the CAP on other players who might play a role in a actual CUP contender in 3 years. A vet heavy d-core does not provide the TOI needed to get the younger prospects some decent ice time. Move Tanev while he is healthy enough to garner some interest. 

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Fantenberg - Benn

Joulevi - Biega

I would even move Tanev for picks since Benn was signed. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not willing to stick with Tanev on the basis of making playoffs. He is gone so much through injury that relying on his health means very little. Move him and spend the CAP on other players who might play a role in a actual CUP contender in 3 years. A vet heavy d-core does not provide the TOI needed to get the younger prospects some decent ice time. Move Tanev while he is healthy enough to garner some interest. 

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Fantenberg - Benn

Joulevi - Biega

I like your approach but would tweek it. Move Tanev for the reasons you've stated but I think we should (for the reasons you state, getting our young guys ready for  3 years down the road) play them now, but insulate each one with a steady vet. If we don't make the playoffs this year, who cares, we'll be close, our next D corps gets valuable experience and we keep our first rounder. The following year we have a young group (plus Tryamkin and maybe a Barrie) with the experience they need to push in.

Edler Stecher (not in need of a vet, but it helps him)

Hughes Myers (self explanatory)

Juolevi Benn (let OJ play if he shows in camp he's ready to compete, insulate him with Benn, and spell him with Fantenberg when / if he needs a break)

Fantenberg/Biega

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Fantenberg - Benn

Joulevi - Biega

Easier said than done as the guy can't stay healthy. Perhaps he looks better this year with Myers and Benn eating up some of his minutes helping him stay off the IR. If he stays healthy, then peddle him immediately before his value erodes further.

Unfortunately, I think he hangs around like Edler and this team will never get any value for him other than years of service.

Edited by RonMexico
  • Upvote 1

I don't think we trade him. At this rate we are making a push for the playoffs. Unless we accept that we are okay with not making them this year. Tanev is more valuable to our team because of our recent signings to shore up the defense. It would now make no sense to trade him as a rental to a team who will look to be successful in the playoffs, while we ourselves are attempting to make the playoffs and be successful. 

• Upvote 3

Buffalo.. (big pkg, eh?)

Tanev (retain 2 mill), LouiE, Demko(yeah, this hurts)   Total: 9.500.000 outgoing

BUFF: Bogosian 5.1 mill cap-hit, but last yr of deal

Conor Sheary: 3 mill(again, expiring)

Ullmark(RFA) should be a cheap Swede to back up Jacob  Total:about  9.300.000, after signing Ullmark near 1 mill

I think we have to lose a key young asset to dump Eriksson. We keep acquiring new 'tenders, so I wonder if JB is contemplating such a bold move?

I like that ALL these contracts would be done next summer. We can move on from the Loui-memes

I say we keep Tanev and have him as a third pairing. Tanev gets easier minutes and possibly heal his body by not logging hard minutes. He would be much more effective and less injury prone. Get his game back to a level where teams will take notice and possibly flip him on TDL.

If Joulevi shows hes ready he can be Tanevs replacement if we flip him on TDL.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Buffalo.. (big pkg, eh?)

Tanev (retain 2 mill), LouiE, Demko(yeah, this hurts)   Total: 9.500.000 outgoing

BUFF: Bogosian 5.1 mill cap-hit, but last yr of deal

Conor Sheary: 3 mill(again, expiring)

Ullmark(RFA) should be a cheap Swede to back up Jacob  Total:about  9.300.000, after signing Ullmark near 1 mill

I think we have to lose a key young asset to dump Eriksson. We keep acquiring new 'tenders, so I wonder if JB is contemplating such a bold move?

I like that ALL these contracts would be done next summer. We can move on from the Loui-memes

I hear you. But I just cant trade Demko. He's looking better and better. But I get it. You want Lou gone so bad your even thinking of losing Demko over it. I would maybe, maybe, do that trade of Risto is coming back. 

53 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I say we keep Tanev and have him as a third pairing. Tanev gets easier minutes and possibly heal his body by not logging hard minutes. He would be much more effective and less injury prone. Get his game back to a level where teams will take notice and possibly flip him on TDL.

If Joulevi shows hes ready he can be Tanevs replacement if we flip him on TDL.

The way Tanev plays chances are about 50/50 he is healthy at the deadline.

If we can get something of value right now we should do it.

• Upvote 1