The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

this is a good move for JP.. he can work on getting his mojo back playing in a decent league. and gives the finger to the Oil for treatment received. 

on the other hand, the oilers don't give in to the demands of a player that they don't feel has earned anything. and they don't give away a potential gem for peanuts. 

different details, but it kind of reminds me of the Drouin situation - get your $#!t together and play like the high end pro you are supposed to be, or piss off. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Summer is over in Edmonton, and the POOL is closed for the season.  

Sounds like McDavid's knee rehab has not been going well either . I think they are drowning in the pool right about now . 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/traikos-how-is-connor-mcdavids-knee-healing-depends-on-whom-you-ask

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

Willis mentioned that Holland waited out Hudler in Detroit - he went to play in the KHL for a year.  Athanasiou was a more recent case where he missed the start of the season.  

Don't think Puljujarvi is going to get his wish.  It's a new GM and a new coach.  Not sure either that other teams are just going to want to hand him the top-6 role he is apparently demanding.  

Hitchcock asked Chiarelli to recall him because he wanted a hand in his development and expected him to be in the top-6 within a month.  Not sure all the blame falls just on Edmonton.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1040s wet dream that this was Juolevi instead.

I'd be interested in Benning picking him up, but only if he stayed in Finand the entire year. Kid needs a reset. 

We won't be trading for him and asking him to stay the year in Finland. Likely he will play out the year in Finland, then we explore acquiring him. Perhaps if we get a healthy Sutter this year, then next offseason Edmonton considers the move as we would likely have Gaudette ready to go by then too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1040s wet dream that this was Juolevi instead.

I'd be interested in Benning picking him up, but only if he stayed in Finand the entire year. Kid needs a reset. 

Maybe Pool needed to acclimate to the smaller ice (way faster game to process) and spend the last two seasons in the minors?  I like your idea that Pool should stay in Finland this season.  I still think he will need more than just a reset though.  I think he has learn to process the how fast the game is on the small ice.  I just don’t know how that happens?  Isn’t their a KHL team with a NA rink now?  

If we traded for him, could we loan him to that KHL team for a season without him needing waivers?  

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

We won't be trading for him and asking him to stay the year in Finland. Likely he will play out the year in Finland, then we explore acquiring him. Perhaps if we get a healthy Sutter this year, then next offseason Edmonton considers the move as we would likely have Gaudette ready to go by then too.

I think a team will take a chance on him though, and before December 1.  One of the bottom feeder teams will take a chance on him. Ottawa?  Arizona?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think a team will take a chance on him though, and before December 1.  One of the bottom feeder teams will take a chance on him. Ottawa?  Arizona?  

But at the price they're asking for? I'm not sure what it is, but if it was cheap, it would've been done already. Carolina never made the deal for Nylander and Nylander almost missed the year (and should have). Puljujarvi will be a cheaper acquisition in terms of contract numbers, but Edmonton likely isn't going to sell him for anything less than a 1st or a high end prospect similar to Puljujarvi. Would Ottawa or Arizona want to take on that gamble on a guy that hasn't proven much thus far? Most of the guys that were traded from Edmonton and flourished elsewhere have generally at least put up decent numbers with Edmonton in the first place, but their system as a whole didn't allow those guys to excel as a team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

But at the price they're asking for? I'm not sure what it is, but if it was cheap, it would've been done already. Carolina never made the deal for Nylander and Nylander almost missed the year (and should have). Puljujarvi will be a cheaper acquisition in terms of contract numbers, but Edmonton likely isn't going to sell him for anything less than a 1st or a high end prospect similar to Puljujarvi. Would Ottawa or Arizona want to take on that gamble on a guy that hasn't proven much thus far? Most of the guys that were traded from Edmonton and flourished elsewhere have generally at least put up decent numbers with Edmonton in the first place, but their system as a whole didn't allow those guys to excel as a team. 

Good point.  And there is no reason for Holland to take a poor offer too.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Pool needed to acclimate to the smaller ice (way faster game to process) and spend the last two seasons in the minors?  I like your idea that Pool should stay in Finland this season.  I still think he will need more than just a reset though.  I think he has learn to process the how fast the game is on the small ice.  I just don’t know how that happens?  Isn’t their a KHL team with a NA rink now?  

If we traded for him, could we loan him to that KHL team for a season without him needing waivers?  

is smaller ice the issue? or was he just given crappy line mates? he's not a play driver or a massive shooter like Laine, he's going to be a complimentary piece, so he's got to be with good players. That alone should drop his value imo from his draft spot. If Holland is trying to get some return based on that... good luck to you sir.

he reminds me of Jake in the WD years, kind of a lost fart with some potential. He needs a coach like Green and good line mates, but we don't really have the space right now to give him that, so thats why i'd just park him in Finland for most of this year. But that might sour the kid even more. 

Dunno, but as of now its a disaster that Holland hasn't found any solution for. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  And there is no reason for Holland to take a poor offer too.  

He certainly needs to set the tone here as the new GM. He can't be a pushover to the players' demands and he can't be a pushover to the GMs wanting to lowball him. Puljujarvi hasn't been a key figure for the team so far, so as far as the team is concerned, he's not important enough to cater to. Edmonton simply needs to push on with Benson and Yamamoto for the time being as the prospects to develop and insulate them with some proper veterans.

I'll be glad if Edmonton bites the bullet here for their team and for the league for players that will see this as an option. Something that Toronto should've done with Nylander.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure all the blame falls just on Edmonton.

sure it does. Even if it doesn't, it does from my perspective :lol:

For context, this is what we did with Palmu. Edmonton did mismanage this kid from the start, they misread his actual ability level, stick him on lousy lines, and yo-yo'd him between the NHL and AHL. 

Just look at the lines he was on: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/jesse-puljujarvi

When he was with McD he scored well. With RNH did OK. Otherwise train wreck. He needs quality line mates to be effective, not unlike many players (look at Loui e.g.) so I don't know what Edmonton was hoping for by putting him with Lucic and Strome. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill