The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and cruel.

This story may not be over yet. If Baer is taken, then it clears needed cap, which in todays NHL costs you to move. If he's not taken, then the cap clearing value is only 1.075 mil and it wouldn't surprise me to see Baer recalled and Loui waved if the cap saving is equivalent.

People need to chill and wait to see how this plays out. 

Ya, something else is likely in the works although I don't think Loui is going anywhere. Need him for the PK, etc. and the team clearly wants to build up his value for TD and 2020 summer.

People’s ability to overreact / inability to look at the big picture & think things through is astonishing!!! 

We don’t even know how this is all going to play out yet. There is a veteran limit in Utica for example, so perhaps if he clears, he gets traded after. So many things go into this & there could be multiple outcomes. 

Over & over again it’s proven that once the dust settles, things are always fine & it was the right choice. 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Darius said:

he has still played at least 70 games in each of the past 4 seasons.  even so, top 6 needed to get tougher hence Ferland and Miller.

I agree that Ferland and Miller are good players. I would have taken the same gamble on the Ferland contract that Benning did. I did not have an issue with the signing.

But, my issue is that people are ignoring that his concussion history means it could go downhill very easily. And, if Baertschi with his concussion issues but better offensive ability was untradeable with half the term, then you can assume that Ferland is now untradeable.

I also really like JT Miller; he looks awesome. I also really like having my first round when the team has a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs at best.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Canucks pick up Baertschi:  OMG what a waste of a 2nd, what a bum, this guy won't last.  He's super soft we need to get tougher

few years later, Baertschi is at risk of drinking his soup through a straw due to concussion issues

Canucks waive Baertschi:  OMG what shoddy asset management, the guys a gamer, he's either scoring or in the LTIR so it's a win either way, waiving a 50 point guy omg wtf benning is the worst

why are you creating a strawman to justify your stance dawg

• Upvote 1

Guys... we have to accept that Eriksson is not gonna be waived... JB gave him the contract and our beloved owner is not gonna lose face in throwing $6M down the drain.. so either somehow find a trade partner or be stuck with him!!

I'm still pretty choked about giving up on Baertschi while keeping Schaller....  we could move Pearson down to 3rd line to keep Baer with Bo!

5 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

Look at it this way. Any time given to Baer would be at the expense of younger players with potential getting that ice time instead. 

This doesn't really hold water when you consider Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson and Schaller (e: almost 29, but still) are all over 30 and clearly on the downside of their respective careers.

And wasn't Baertschi brought in originally to be one of those "young guys".

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Ya, something else is likely in the works although I don't think Loui is going anywhere. Need him for the PK, etc. and the team clearly wants to build up his value for TD and 2020 summer.

one interesting thing IF Baer does get claimed, is it creates cap space to help buy out Loui next year. Or help sign Tyson Barrie. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I really do like Baertchi and hope he passes through waivers. We all knew there were tough decisions coming and here it is. I do believe there are more moves coming.

Hasn't he gone through enough last season.  Doesn't deserve to be in the AHL.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're making it too personal. 

I think there were better ways to go about it.  AG should have been sent to Utica, giving JB time to work something out.  You can't claim players make it on merit and then waive Baer, imo.

It's not a move that's going to have a huge impact on the ice and I expected them to part ways with him at some point this season, I just think they didn't go about it the right way.