The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

58 minutes ago, Darius said:

dont know if this was posted anywhere...but this is kinda outta the blue (to me)

- Also McKenzie said that there were rumblings in the summer surrounding the draft.

Additionally, I posted last week that Elliotte Friedman had reported that Stecher was popping up.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-contract-status-looms-slow-starting-devils/

3. The Canucks are unbeaten since Bo Horvat was named captain, and, in a huge turnaround, trail only Carolina and Nashville for goals by defencemen. Troy Stecher’s ice-time was down from 19:55 in 2018–19 to 13:58 in the first four games of 2019–20. There were rumblings that the Canucks would look to move him for a prospect or a draft pick to ease their cap crunch — but that was denied. Stecher scored his first of the year Tuesday night against Detroit. His ice time was a slightly deceiving 12:16 as he missed the last six minutes due to a misconduct.

39 minutes ago, mll said:

He was never a fast skater and the game is faster than ever.  He was still Nashville's best overall D before being injured.  

Poile didn't want to trade Subban but it was the only way to create cap space.  He said he wouldn't have traded him if not for Fabbro showing so well the 10 games he played and at the Worlds.  Nashville and Duchene have been trying to connect for years.  

And what is Poille supposed to say publicly?  Of course he's going to say positive stuff.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what is Poille supposed to say publicly?  Of course he's going to say positive stuff.  

Not really.  He's been pretty harsh on other players - see his comments on Wilson, Aberg and others he has moved on from.  They genuinely liked Subban but it's a cap world. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

He was never a fast skater and the game is faster than ever.  He was still Nashville's best overall D before being injured.  

Poile didn't want to trade Subban but it was the only way to create cap space.  He said he wouldn't have traded him if not for Fabbro showing so well the 10 games he played and at the Worlds.  Nashville and Duchene have been trying to connect for years.  

Roman Josi

I've heard that Stetcher is unhappy with his ice time. Nothing credible, but it would explain the rumblings.

I don't like that for the first time in a while we had RD depth, only to potentially move 2 RDs out in the first month of the season. Biega just got assigned to the AHL, so that trade ended up being pointless in terms of finding him an NHL spot.

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

Roman Josi

At both ends of the ice it's Subban.  Josi is excellent offensively and in transition.  His offensive numbers are mind boggling good but when the other team manages to set up in the Preds zone and they have to defend he is less reliable than Subban.  

43 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

- Also McKenzie said that there were rumblings in the summer surrounding the draft.

Additionally, I posted last week that Elliotte Friedman had reported that Stecher was popping up.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-contract-status-looms-slow-starting-devils/

Only reason to move Stecher is because we are expecting someone to replace him. We don't have enough depth right now to just unload him for picks or prospects.

Elliot must not follow the Canucks closely because the reason why Stecher averaged nearly 20 minutes was because of injury. I think most know he's a 3rd pairing guy that simply is capable of stepping up (see Hutton).

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Only reason to move Stecher is because we are expecting someone to replace him. We don't have enough depth right now to just unload him for picks or prospects.

Elliot must not follow the Canucks closely because the reason why Stecher averaged nearly 20 minutes was because of injury. I think most know he's a 3rd pairing guy that simply is capable of stepping up (see Hutton).

Benn plays the right side tho. If the idea is to move Juolevi up Benn can take the right side spot on the bottom 6. 

I do think we could see some big changes coming on the right side, namely Tryamkin and Barrie in next years free agency. If we can move Stecher for an asset now its better than letting him walk as a free agent after not offering him a QO. I don't want to see him go but he may not be in the long term plans. 

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Image result for nikita tryamkin

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They had to use LTIR to bring up McIntyre and now Sautner.  They are not banking cap space.  Once Roussel is off LTIR - they can demote someone but it will only be at most a 1.075M for whatever is left of the season - they'll likely have other injury call-ups.

Pettersson and Hughes are bonus eligible -  potentially 1.7M total.  It will carry over to next season if the team hasn't banked the necessary cap space to cover it this year.  The later they clear cap space the less they will be able to bank to cover those bonuses this season.  There's no real reason to think they won't hit their targets.

Ideally they manage to find a trade partner for Baertschi earlier than later but not sure they can with an additional year left and a severe history of concussions.

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Benn plays the right side tho. If the idea is to move Juolevi up Benn can take the right side spot on the bottom 6. 

I do think we could see some big changes coming on the right side, namely Tryamkin and Barrie in next years free agency. If we can move Stecher for an asset now its better than letting him walk as a free agent after not offering him a QO. I don't want to see him go but he may not be in the long term plans. 

Juolevi will take some time before we decide to move Stecher for him. There's certainly no reason to move Stecher now, but maybe we are getting some feelers out there to gauge the market.

IMO Barrie will be too expensive. If Hughes continues to progress, then we have our Barrie. Tanev likely won't be back also for cap reasons and Tryamkin slots in. Stecher is a local guy (maybe willing to take a hometown discount?) and is a solid bottom pairing guy that can step in for injuries. Only depth right now after Stecher is Rafferty (maybe he's shown well enough to make Stecher expendable?) and Chatfield. Tryamkin won't be here until next season and we've already lost Biega. Fantenberg can also play RD, but he's already testing our D depth currently. I guess because Benn can slot into the right side, we also can utilized Sautner and Brisebois as well. But with that said, that's the benefit of having depth right now and it could be tested later into the season.

49 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Image result for nikita tryamkin

I don't disagree, but that's a long ways from now and not a sure thing I would think just yet. I wouldn't move Stecher for picks and what not until we are sure. RD has been lacking for years, I don't think it's time to deplete it just yet (already moved on from Biega).

6 hours ago, mll said:

Green wants to win games and is going to ice the lineup he has the most faith in.  The Canucks can't play the showcasing game when they want to make the playoffs.  Games are too tight.  

I don't think Nashville had real interest in Gaudette other than it was a possible return to get rid of Subban.  There wouldn't even be a lineup spot in the near future.  

If that's the case, then why isn't he in Utica, playing top line minutes? I can't honestly believe he's here to keep a seat warm right now and Gaudette earned the spot in the everyday lineup  IMO, so why is he bench warming? He was never going to be here to play 4th line minutes because that's not good for his development. It's 3rd line center or back to Utica and that's the position Sutter owns right now. Nashville has always had a good relationship with our team and there is definitely a trade history dating back 10 years or so. Whether they'd have any interest in Sutter is another story, but to just figure nothing is going on at all is definitely false. I'm actually pretty sure Benning said something about it at the end of last season as well, wanting to move a center and keeping Gaudette in the fold because his development was coming along.

53 minutes ago, mll said:

They had to use LTIR to bring up McIntyre and now Sautner.  They are not banking cap space.  Once Roussel is off LTIR - they can demote someone but it will only be at most a 1.075M for whatever is left of the season - they'll likely have other injury call-ups.

Pettersson and Hughes are bonus eligible -  potentially 1.7M total.  It will carry over to next season if the team hasn't banked the necessary cap space to cover it this year.  The later they clear cap space the less they will be able to bank to cover those bonuses this season.  There's no real reason to think they won't hit their targets.

Ideally they manage to find a trade partner for Baertschi earlier than later but not sure they can with an additional year left and a severe history of concussions.

The Canucks should have enough coming off the books next season and cheap depth that I don't think they need to be "dumping" Stecher. If we get lucky and Baertschi and/or LE decide to simply move on, then even better.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Juolevi will take some time before we decide to move Stecher for him. There's certainly no reason to move Stecher now, but maybe we are getting some feelers out there to gauge the market.

IMO Barrie will be too expensive. If Hughes continues to progress, then we have our Barrie. Tanev likely won't be back also for cap reasons and Tryamkin slots in. Stecher is a local guy (maybe willing to take a hometown discount?) and is a solid bottom pairing guy that can step in for injuries. Only depth right now after Stecher is Rafferty (maybe he's shown well enough to make Stecher expendable?) and Chatfield. Tryamkin won't be here until next season and we've already lost Biega. Fantenberg can also play RD, but he's already testing our D depth currently. I guess because Benn can slot into the right side, we also can utilized Sautner and Brisebois as well. But with that said, that's the benefit of having depth right now and it could be tested later into the season.

Barrie in the rough price range of Tanev+Stecher tho would be quite the offensive upgrade. Having both Hughes and Barrie would make us pretty hard to outscore, we'd actually have two legit PP units too. Dunno, just spitballing possible moves. 

• Like 1