The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Nico Hischier, 7 year, $50.75 million

HerrDrFunk

25 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Times are changing... most players now will only get the chance at 1 contract in their prime.

Ding ding ding.... most folks aren’t thinking of it that way.

Owners have decided that putting guys out to pasture at 30 is the way to go.  Those used to be lucrative UFA years.  agents aren’t dumb, they know these kids need to get paid out of their ELCs now or lose out with increasingly brief careers.

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ding ding ding.... most folks aren’t thinking of it that way.

Owners have decided that putting guys out to pasture at 30 is the way to go.  Those used to be lucrative UFA years.  agents aren’t dumb, they know these kids need to get paid out of their ELCs now or lose out with increasingly brief careers.

You don’t have to be tough to play in the nhl anymore, just fast.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bertorama said:

I wonder how this play out in Taylor Halls head. ?  Positive or negative. 

Positive.  Taylor Hall said he hopes to play every game this season on a line with Hischier.  

Hall credited him for winning the Hart and commented that if he played in a Canadian market there would be far more awareness on how good he is.  

Hynes says he doesn't shelter Hischier - he plays in every situation and even kills penalties.  They already had him wearing the A at times.  He has already been involved in several scrums - he notably jumped Troy Brouwer after he bumped Blackwood.  

He's one of the most active Fs at making plays in the high danger areas.  His game is around the net.  

Edited by mll

The Devils have been extemely lucky at the LOTTO DRAFT,similar to Edmonton and yet they are having their problems.

Edmonton has SO much money tied up in three players and if any of these guys get injured down goes Edmonton which most Canuck fans will not mind AT ALL.

The Devils have a young club like the Canucks and hopefully some of their LOTTO DRAFT LUCK wears off on us.

The Canucks are on a roll and the victory train is starting to show what TEAM play can do.

KEEP THE TRAIN ROLLIN',

WOO WOO!

I will open by saying I have not watched this kid play, but he seems like he is very good and getting better.

Maybe they could have done a bridge deal similar to Boesers? Instead they lock up a future piece, won't have to worry about how much he is going to command when their other big names contracts expire.

I don't think it's a bad move at all.

Edit: P.S. If this is what he gets, we are signing Petey to a 8 year 9-10M AAV extension.

Edited by Kosmo Kramer
Added more
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

My gut reaction is this is a desperate move to lock up some talent because of the likelihood Hall has already made up his mind not to stay.

Ditto, NJ is one those non traditional hockey team: if they dont win the business suffers and ultimately the league will suffer.  In my opinion, It is in the best interest of the NHL to give clubs such as the Devils a chance to have some high end talent via the draft rather than FA becuase unlike the Canucks, Leafs and etc were despite the standings they are still profitable which ultimately benefits the league/owners.

Having some lottery luck would had landed us a player like Laine and despite not being able to draft higher than fifth I still have to give credit to JB and his team for creating a solid core and prospect pool....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Really not much different then the Keller deal, although I’d argue Hirschier will be the better player...he’s destined for the second line role,  but as we’ve seen with Horvat, and before Kesler, it’s a critical position to fill and they’ve just done it for eight more years (this year included).   When he’s in his prime with Hughes, they could one of the best one two punches in the league.   Smart move IMO,  JB should do the exact same thing with EP as soon as he can.   Bridge deals on high skill guys rarely work out in the teams favour over the long haul cap wise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Seems too much, too soon..but I'll leave it to the puck-nerd/accountants to quibble over the pros & cons.

He's sneaky good defensively would be a Selke nominee if his point totals were higher which is the one part of the Selke award that has never made sense to me. 

If he can up his point totals this deal is a steal. As of right now 50/50 steal or albatross though. 

• Thanks 1

Hischier has been scoring in the 50+ point range as an 18-20 year old.  He hasn't lit the world on fire but he has been solid.  Low $7M+ per year seems a bit high if compared to Bo's and Brock's contracts, but both of them got their contracts at a slightly older age.  Overall it seems like a relatively reasonable contract given Hischier's trajectory.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:00 AM, Kosmo Kramer said:

I will open by saying I have not watched this kid play, but he seems like he is very good and getting better.

Maybe they could have done a bridge deal similar to Boesers? Instead they lock up a future piece, won't have to worry about how much he is going to command when their other big names contracts expire.

I don't think it's a bad move at all.

Edit: P.S. If this is what he gets, we are signing Petey to a 8 year 9-10M AAV extension.

Both wanted long term - a bridge was apparently never a consideration.  Shero explained that they have the cap space and know what they have on and off the ice in Hischier so it didn't make sense to go bridge.  Hischier said they give him the confidence a player needs and saw no reason why he wouldn't want to stay.

Hynes thinks he will be in the Selke conversation in a few years.  Talked about how he's not sheltered and goes up against all the top players.

• Upvote 1