The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How is Eriksson Not Waived?

Rate this topic

Provost

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was watching an AHL game on the Internet, and saw Moulson out there.  He's a star in that league, or appeared to be.  I just wonder if LE would ride busses and suffer the embarrassment back home for completing his career as an AHL player?  I think it's different for Swedes.  We had an old Matts Sundin, who chose to retire (giving up 10 million) just because he wasn't playing to the level he expected of himself.  It was like he didn't want to damage his legacy back home for the sake of money.  LE would only be giving up 3/4 million, and having to play in the AHL, while damaging his legacy.  He already last summer was question by the Swedish press about his lack of production, and he defended his honor (legacy) by saying it was how he was being deployed by the coach.  I see him making that gentleman's agreement with Aquilini to protect his legacy as an NHL player, and then retire after his July 2020 bonus.  Then both sides win.  LE gets almost all of his 36 million, and keeps his honor in tact back home, and we clear 6 million in cap for the 2020/2021 season.  Makes total sense, and IMO that is what will happen.  

It seems to me that his "legacy" is taking a hit as it stands now!!!

He doesn't need to go to Utica for that to happen. 

No matter how I look at this, it is a money thing for LE. There's no way he wants to be in this situation except for that.

Let that sink in for a bit. NOBODY wants him on this team. Yet he remains. 

Lou will have whatever legacy he has over in Sweden.

Around here he could become runner up to mark Messier for most popular player of all time in Vancouver.

Personally I prefer to have him sitting on the bench to sending him to Utica taking up space that could be used to audition another player. 

Sit him until such time as we have too many players coming back to afford to do so, then kiss his Swedish arse goodbye. 

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Just in the sense of giving up on him completely in getting anything out of him, as someone here said he was chaffed to have to pay Gagner after we sent him down. Burning because he would not even get any value at all, even as a 13th forward.  I doubt he'd ever be called back up over other prospects, and we have a bit of a glut on veteran forwards once everyone is healthy That is assuming if Louie is sent down, and he decides to play out his three years, or at least two, regardless. It would sure feel like he's burning money.

He's an even bigger waste of money up here though, because he's wasting a spot that could be used on an actual NHL player.

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

Personally I prefer to have him sitting on the bench to sending him to Utica taking up space that could be used to audition another player. 

Sit him until such time as we have too many players coming back to afford to do so, then kiss his Swedish arse goodbye. 

Why would we actually let him PLAY in Utica?  Make him do 2 a days, and then have him serve drinks in the pressbox while making it abundantly clear that he will never play another shift for us, at any level.  Tell the young players that this is what happens when you refuse to work hard, do absolutely nothing productive, and float around more than a circus seal.  Why waste any icetime on a player who simply doesn't care about winning and won't put in an iota of effort?

Almost every team has that guy that has a huge contract and is floating around like a fairy princess not a hockey player,

I get that everyone is upset with our princess, but his contract will be up shortly(what like 2 years) then see you later princess,we might be able to get a good Canadian player with some grit to his game in his place after the next league extension (Seattle ),comes in.

Won't that be a treat,to be done with the princess behavior(crying for ice time and the coach hates me blah blah blah,play better stupid).

4 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Almost every team has that guy that has a huge contract and is floating around like a fairy princess not a hockey player,

I get that everyone is upset with our princess, but his contract will be up shortly(what like 2 years) then see you later princess,we might be able to get a good Canadian player with some grit to his game in his place after the next league extension (Seattle ),comes in.

Won't that be a treat,to be done with the princess behavior(crying for ice time and the coach hates me blah blah blah,play better stupid).

The end of his contract isn't soon enough.  Send him to an appropriate league for his completely unacceptable level of effort and get this worthless piece of trash out of town.  LE should have been suspended without pay the minute he spewed his trash about Green in the offseason.  It's one thing to float around the ice, refusing to hit, skate, or sweat, it's another thing to not even act like a professional off the ice when the coach is bending over backwards to defend a useless bum.

Edited by King Heffy

16 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

I get that everyone is upset with our princess, but his contract will be up shortly(what like 2 years) then see you later princess...

I think we could probably re-sign him at $4M per year when this contract is up.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The end of his contract isn't soon enough.  Send him to an appropriate league for his completely unacceptable level of effort and get this worthless piece of trash out of town.  LE should have been suspended without pay the minute he spewed his trash about Green in the offseason.

Are you ready for pain?  Are you read for labor grievances?

If the answer is yes...

MealyFineIriomotecat-max-1mb.gif

Then you're ready to suspend Loui Eriksson for lukewarm answers in a Swedish newspaper.

SillyGreatGemsbuck-small.gif

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VforVirtanen said:

Maybe Green should put him on PP1 to pad his stats. He can be the guy that always initiates the drop pass so hell wrack up assists. 

Then maybe we can trick someone into trading for him.:lol:

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just my opinion, but I think the Canucks are trying to cover up this disasterous contarct that was given to Loui. If they send Loui to Utica, it will be seen as a major blunder (even though it already is), and they would be admitting the mistake. They're just trying to save face right now and maybe really hoping that Loui does somehting good with this next opportunity, so it doesn't look as bad. Maybe Loui does enough that another team is fine taking him on. Can't see it, but good luck to them. The Canucks stress at the beginning of every season, that players who earn the spots wil be rewarded. That's BS. They managed to rid themselves of Gagner, they need to do the same with Loui.

Well NJ just covered up their major blunder sending CS down, and Ladd also recently was sent down too.  A lot of teams have one guy like this one their team somewhere - quite a few have wiggles out of it somehow we just aren’t there yet.   I would be shocked to see him playing in the NHL a year from now.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Eriksson is so done with this team, and vice-versa. He's like a dead rat, stinking up the basement. We need to call in the professionals to clear him out of here.

To be fair...

Eriksson is the representing figure of a bygone Canucks era; no scoring, stale, old, with no future in sight.

17 hours ago, Provost said:

I fully expected to see Eriksson on waivers today and sent to the farm.

I am not sure honestly what any argument against it could be at this point.

He isn’t penalty killing, he isn’t good defensively, he isn’t doing “the little things” right, he isn’t putting in the effort, he isn’t an option to fill in the top six during injuries, he no longer has the trust of his coach (look at his minutes when he is in the lineup).

When you are outplayed by a fringe guy like Graovac... you are done.

Maybe he retires rather than reporting to Utica, maybe not... but it should be tried.  It is startling how different the success of the entire team hinges on all four lines pushing the pace.  When we have lost that from our 4th line, suddenly the top two lines start faltering as well... maybe because they are focussed on more.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but to me it is really inconceivable that the team hasn’t played hardball yet with this player.

Does anyone have an argument FOR Eriksson remaining now?  Mentoring Petterson doesn’t fly for me to keep a valuable roster spot... especially with the impending return of Roussel 

Erikson is a lazy good for nothing Parasitic Boat-Anchor, sucking up valuable cap space.  He should be put on a barge and pushed off to sea!   He slows the team down, is dis-engaged, afraid to get in the play, constantly bent over - reaching out with his stick like a wimp and is a very bad example for the young guns.   The sooner he's gone "Forever" - the better!

NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE LOUI !   Get the hint...............

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Firstly I think any player who already previously cleared waivers this season must play 10 games or be up for 30 days before they need waivers again to go down.  

As for LE, It's becoming kind of clear that he has a gentleman's agreement to retire after his 2020 July bonus, providing JB/Aquilini keep him on the big club for this full season.  

It’s becoming clear? How so? What exactly are you basing this new theory on? Other than wishful thinking I mean. There is certainly no proof of it. 

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Why would we actually let him PLAY in Utica?  Make him do 2 a days, and then have him serve drinks in the pressbox while making it abundantly clear that he will never play another shift for us, at any level.  Tell the young players that this is what happens when you refuse to work hard, do absolutely nothing productive, and float around more than a circus seal.  Why waste any icetime on a player who simply doesn't care about winning and won't put in an iota of effort?

Because the next time sign a UFA, they will think to themselves “isn’t this the team that abused an NHL player that they had high hopes for?”

I'm afraid it’s a no win situation but having him serving as a benchwarmer right now does no harm to this team beyond his cap, and we can’t get rid of that anyway. Even the savings for sending him down would be mostly eaten up by the cost of having to pull someone else up.