The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Russia vs. Canada | Group B | Dec. 28, 2019 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only bright side, is he drops in the draft and the Canucks pick him up? :frantic:

I know that was tongue in cheek, but I kind of think that the Canucks can't really afford another top 5 guy. Petey and Quinn are going to get big contracts and even though Loui and Lou are eventually going to come off the books, I think we'll already have too much Cap tied up with our top 4-5 guys.

The current core is going to be what gets it done for the Canucks, barring something strange happening in the next couple of years.

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

I love how the Russian Captain was chirping the Canadians during the anthem. Seems like the Russians have quite a bit more grit to their game than the Canadians. 

I’d say they built that team disciplined, and so that it won’t get pushed around..  3 @ 5’11.. and every one else up to 6’4.

IF we play them again, I don’t think aggression it’s a tactic the Canadians want to get into.. the Russian D controlled the crease out to the hash marks, and the cycle shutdowns were almost immediate..  it’s a Coaches game now to figure out what the Russians have and don’t have.

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

I love how the Russian Captain was chirping the Canadians during the anthem. Seems like the Russians have quite a bit more grit to their game than the Canadians. 

I switched over to the Spengler at 5-0, but up to that point, I thought the Russians dominated the Canadians physically.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Show me an academy that doesn’t, but point noted, though I believe is antiquated. Minor hockey can’t really suddenly become a skills thing or it will lose interest and fade away.

(I suspect some in here are beating around the bush about possible subsidies towards the sport to supplement a perceived lack of skill in Canada’s game at the WJ’s. Hockey is expensive. So is horse racing, but If I have to pay subsidy taxes for somebodies hobby entertainment, to produce better international athletes, that will suck)

One thing I used to complain about as a minor hockey kid to my few coaches was why we skated lines, circles, whatever, without the puck. Overseas, kids always had a puck. This is where your point grew from, but I think that’s changed. 

Unless you’re referring to puck skills like that lacrosse move, Canada focuses on skill as much as they can while still embracing the spirit and inclusion of minor hockey. 

The challenge is finding a good balance between developing individual skill and emphasizing the importance of playing within a team system. I personally think Canada's current approach puts too much emphasis on the latter, but I agree that it's still something that needs to be taught.

The Finnish development program had a similar issue with regards to a lack of emphasis on individual skill development. It's not a coincidence that once they adjusted their approach that they started developing elite players at much better rate.

I'm not saying at all that players should start playing as individuals, rather that they should be allowed to develop skills that can set them apart from other players. The team game is obviously important, but when other countries can match your systems and work ethic, you need players that can tilt the balance of the game in your favour with their skill.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

They could have used a player like Jett Woo to knock some bodies around but oh no let’s get away from our game and go with a soft D core that can move the puck.

Commentators said that we have a lot of players playing that aren’t even draft eligible yet?   As much as Hockey Canada might think that’s a move for the future,  I don’t think it’s one of good progression.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Our D was horrible.  Way too soft.  We let the Russian players feel safe going east to west.  Need a D that can protect from that with intimidating body checks.  

The D had a terrible game, but 6-0 suggests that the entire team had a poor defensive effort.

Ferraro made the point between periods that TC was letting the Russians through the neutral zone far too easily.....and it didn't improve in the 2nd or 3rd.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know that was tongue in cheek, but I kind of think that the Canucks can't really afford another top 5 guy. Petey and Quinn are going to get big contracts and even though Loui and Lou are eventually going to come off the books, I think we'll already have too much Cap tied up with our top 4-5 guys.

The current core is going to be what gets it done for the Canucks, barring something strange happening in the next couple of years.

Really? 

It would be like when Boston drafted Tyler seguin second overall and then traded him....

also if we can land a big center or winger then that makes someone replaceable doesn't it? So in that think we could trade a core piece depending on who's your core. 

So cap doesn't really matter. 

I was at the game 

We didn't match their speed, physicality,  intensity and aggressiveness, period.

They out played us all over the ice. Looked like big men against teenagers

3rd period boys on the bench had shoulders slumped and no one standing chomping at the bit to get on the ice.

2 more games to figure out what how and why

Go Canada go

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Commentators said that we have a lot of players playing that aren’t even draft eligible yet?   As much as Hockey Canada might think that’s a move for the future,  I don’t think it’s one of good progression.

5 are 2020 draft eligible - the other 18 were already drafted.  Lafreniere, Byfield, Dawson Mercer, Jamie Drysdale and goalie Nico Daws.

• Thanks 1