The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs. Blackhawks | January 2nd, 2020! | 7:00pm PT, SNP | Decade vs. Decade

Rate this topic

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the game?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Chicago Blackhawks
  2. 2. How many goals will the Vancouver Canucks score?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5+ goals
  3. 3. How many goals will the Chicago Blackhawks score?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5+ goals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2020 at 03:00 AM

44 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

A rebuilding Chicago just in their second year of rebuild, skates in with twelve players 24 and under. Only 4 points behind and having goalie and cap issues this season, they just got another 7 mill in cap space with Seabrook added to LTIR and looking to add via trade. Cap space, ahhh..

The Canucks, rebuilding in year 6+ of Benning, have only eight 24 and under if Zach draws in and Demko plays.

Canucks are on a streak and Chicago has won 4 of the last 5 games.

The Canucks should have the advantage.

They have a declining team that has won 3 Stanley Cups, so a much higher standard than our declining team at that time (see Kane who is still lighting it up). They didn't have atrocious drafting prior (almost 0 prospect pool to work with when Benning took over) to their downfall, this could still have an influx of youth and players that could keep that youth down to develop longer. It is arguable when the Benning rebuild actually begun.

The Canucks hung in there for a couple of years before dropping off. Chicago could easily go through that phase as well. Chicago is in the area where they want to remain competitive with the core they still have. If they use up that newly found cap space with prospect/picks, then they could very well drop off a cliff once the core is gone. The Canucks made the playoffs with the Sedins during Benning's 2nd year here, but that is no sign of a good rebuild at that point. It was a re-tool which is probably what Chicago is doing rather than rebuilding because the major core is still there and are the primary producers on that team.

• Upvote 2

On 1/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, Gawdzukes said:

For those youngsters that don't know how the Hawks rose to power, previous to their fall from grace.

Bill Wirtz was the owner/President of the Blackhawks for 41 years. He was an ahole and a rich one too. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer founder of America type guy. and the first guy that introduced home blackouts. According to Wilkipedia, "As Wirtz explained it, broadcasting regular-season home games was unfair to season-ticket holders.[5] 

Wirtz (via his stake in the Wirtz Corporation) was most notable as owner of the Chicago Blackhawks; Wirtz Realty, a large real estate owner in Chicago; and Judge & Dolph Ltd., a major liquor distributor selling over 33 percent of all liquor in Illinois. Wirtz Corp. also has interests in banking and insurance, and co-owned the United Center with Jerry Reinsdorf. Crain's Chicago Business in 2004 estimated the company's 2003 revenues as US$1.3 billion. Overall, it is estimated that Bill Wirtz's personal holdings (including stock in several companies, including Alberto-Culver and Firstar Bank) were worth about US$3 to $4 billion.

I'll let you draw the conclusions.,

As I remember it in the 90's the Hawks vs the wings was a spectacle to behold, Probert at his best, Joey tough guy Kocur ... trust me he's tough .... Stu Grimson (The Grim Reaper), and Mike Peluso were absolutely insane. Throw in Yzerman, Fedorov, Larmer, Roenick (Kesler on steroids) It was beautiful. Anyways ... on to the recorded history of the Blackhawks from hockey db

image.png.ac5737909666848f576fae69270b5d1a.png

Especially notice the sucking from 1995 - 2006 ... this was in a day where there were no loser points and only 22 teams as of 1991. They had a deadly team in the early 90's and then Wild Bill got weird and started hoarding his money starting with the Blackhawks, they tire-fired for the next 13 years until he died in 2007 from fcancer. 

"His son Peter Wirtz was named the new owner of the Blackhawks the following day; Peter Wirtz eventually passed responsibility to his brother Rocky  During a tribute and moment of silence for Bill Wirtz during the Blackhawks' home opener on October 6, 2007, the crowd booed the proceedings.[13][14] "Wikipedia""

So, after years and years of sucking they drafted Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, Bufuglien, Burish, Brouwer, Jalmarsson, Crawford, Bolland, Bickell and won a couple cups. NOW THAT'S A TANK!!!!!!

Unfortunately for the tank/draft pick crowd that $&!# doesn't fly in Canada. There is no way we're going to purposely fail like the Hawks for 13 years. It was part of Wirth's philosophy, he tightened up the purse strings as he got older like any Billionaire would do.

Side note: I once had a staring contest with Doug Gilmour in the bowels of GM place. He was such a cool douche. 5'8, black leather jacket, and two 6 ft blonde models flanking his side. EDIT: This happened.

Yep, you guessed er. I'm drunk!

Go Canucks Go!!!  :canucks:

A few corrections that should be pointed out...

It was not quite as simple as Peter Wirtz "passing" responsibilities over to Rocky.  Rocky had left the team almost a decade before Bill's passing due to disagreements with Bill and Peter over how the team was being run.  Rocky focused on the many, many other businesses of Wirtz Corp while Bill and Peter ran the team.  After Bill died, as assumed, Peter initially took over as owner.  

It was Bill's father Arthur Wirtz that had a clause passed over from his will to Bill's will that his oldest grandson Rocky be given control of the team upon Bill's death.  It was only after the reading of Bill's will that Rocky gained control of the Hawks.  This led to a very large and very bitter court case with just about every sibling suing each other over pieces of the estate.  It was really then that the public got see just how big of an empire Wirtz Corp was.  Last I heard, the family members still don't talk to each other. 

And Bill Wirtz wasn't "tanking", he was just a cheap piece of garbage that never re-signed any talent when it came to contracts being up.  Larmer, Roenick, Savard, Chelios, Amonte...let them all walk for nothing. Had Hasek and Belfour on the same roster and sent them both packing.  Oh man, bad memories. Bad memories. 

Anyways, Go Hawks. Hoping for a  good game.

Marks the half way point after tonight. Hope we keep this streak alive and our 2020 vision of the playoffs alive and well. Still miffed about that Seabrook dump. Probably on some beach chilling with Hossa and his bad foot rash. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

A rebuilding Chicago just in their second year of rebuild, skates in with twelve players 24 and under. Only 4 points behind and having goalie and cap issues this season, they just got another 7 mill in cap space with Seabrook added to LTIR and looking to add via trade. Cap space, ahhh..

The Canucks, rebuilding in year 6+ of Benning, have only eight 24 and under if Zach draws in and Demko plays.

Canucks are on a streak and Chicago has won 4 of the last 5 games.

The Canucks should have the advantage.

Hawks probably won't use the cap space from Seabrook's LTIR.  They'd have to part with picks and prospects to acquire anything of value, and I can't see them wanting to do that.  In reality, they Hawks are one big losing streak from being sellers at the deadline and their current winning streak has more to do with Kane and Lehner than it does with anyone on the roster under 24.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

A few corrections that should be pointed out...

It was not quite as simple as Peter Wirtz "passing" responsibilities over to Rocky.  Rocky had left the team almost a decade before Bill's passing due to disagreements with Bill and Peter over how the team was being run.  Rocky focused on the many, many other businesses of Wirtz Corp while Bill and Peter ran the team.  After Bill died, as assumed, Peter initially took over as owner.  

It was Bill's father Arthur Wirtz that had a clause passed over from his will to Bill's will that his oldest grandson Rocky be given control of the team upon Bill's death.  It was only after the reading of Bill's will that Rocky gained control of the Hawks.  This led to a very large and very bitter court case with just about every sibling suing each other over pieces of the estate.  It was really then that the public got see just how big of an empire Wirtz Corp was.  Last I heard, the family members still don't talk to each other. 

And Bill Wirtz wasn't "tanking", he was just a cheap piece of garbage that never re-signed any talent when it came to contracts being up.  Larmer, Roenick, Savard, Chelios, Amonte...let them all walk for nothing. Had Hasek and Belfour on the same roster and sent them both packing.  Oh man, bad memories. Bad memories. 

Anyways, Go Hawks. Hoping for a  good game.

I was wondering when you would stop in. Thanks for the information. Interesting stuff. Yeah, Wirtz was cheaper than dirt. ::D

Cheers to a good game. Go Nucks!

• Cheers 1

I hope they can keep the win streak going but it will take another complete 60 min game from the Nucks, and I wonder who will have the task of shutting down Kane and Toews, hopefully a few lucky bounces also go the canuck way....

6 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

I hope they can keep the win streak going but it will take another complete 60 min game from the Nucks, and I wonder who will have the task of shutting down Kane and Toews, hopefully a few lucky bounces also go the canuck way....

If the previous games have been any indicator, the shutdown duties are split between the Horvat and Beagle lines for one line teams.

3 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Our past defeats over Chicago usually meant limiting Kane's ability to skate around in the O zone UNIMPEDED. Lately, I have not seen anyone lay the body into him to slow him down. Moreso when they had Panarin as well. We will see who is up for the task. Jake? ::D