The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Devils fire Ray Shero, name Tom Fitzgerald as interim GM

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I was pissed when I saw this.  Nothing personal against him, New Jersey didn't deserve the 1st pick, reasons being they won the 1st pick just 2 years ago, while not even being the worst team, so 2 in 3 drafts they won the 1st overall pick, wtf, this is the new NHL draft lottery &^@# you bettman.

looking like they will have a good chance to win it again this year too.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

when the picks were announced and when Stan Bowman found out he was drafting in the top 3 that also pissed me off.  what a &^@# ing joke because his team wasn't drafting 13th, his laugh also pissed me off.  what joke, Chicago Blackhawks a team that was just literally a dynasty team in the 2010's barely missed the playoffs and they find themselves drafting in the top 3 &^@# you bettman, no really, the draft lottery is not working.

Philly drafting number 2 in 2017, not a bottom 10 team, Carolina &^@# sakes Carolina drafting number 2, not a bottom 10 team, Chicago not a bottom 10 team yea I am pissed.  just thinking about it makes me pissed.  My Canucks meanwhile suffered the most dropped in drafts since introducing the new draft system, glad he got fired.

Shero should have at least kept it professional and not laugh like a child.  

I feel ya BUT, just a few years ago we were all clamouring for the system to change so that tanking or perennially sucking wasn't rewarded.   

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Tbh, I wanted to punch him in the face at that moment when I saw this because of exactly what you said. I have kept this gif to for posting when he gets fired, and I finally get to use it.

I was actually more upset with Chicago actually. They just came off a dynasty and all of a sudden jumped to the #3 pick. Then Stan Bowman made a comment saying something like he likes the new lottery system since it avoids other teams for tanking and being terrible even if that pretty much described The Hawks and probably the reason why they got Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews.

'We are just not getting it done.  We haven't been winning.  There was nothing specific and it was just time to go in a different direction.' 

'We are in our 5th season and we've made the playoffs only once.'   

18 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I would have fired him as soon as he traded for Subban

That had likely full backing from ownership - just look at the show they made to introduce him.  NJD has to compete with the NY market and his couple with Lindsey Vonn is quite visible and they have a long list of celebrity connections.   He wasn't supposed to struggle that much.  

• Cheers 1

Devils are were they should be with the likes of Arizona, Colorado and so on - competitive for a year or two and always rebuilding.  The new nature of pro hockey: parity, to keep the fans engage especially, in small markets or non traditional hockey.  This is why it is important to hire a management team that is well rounded and open to change. JB took some growing (being a first time GM) but I like were he is trending cause his model seems more sustainable moving forward and I hope he gets his chance to win with his core...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Devils are were they should be with the likes of Arizona, Colorado and so on - competitive for a year or two and always rebuilding.  The new nature of pro hockey: parity, to keep the fans engage especially, in small markets or non traditional hockey.  This is why it is important to hire a management team that is well rounded and open to change. JB took some growing (being a first time GM) but I like were he is trending cause his model seems more sustainable moving forward and I hope he gets his chance to win with his core...

This. JB has retooled and stacked the depth with several obstacles in his way, along the way. Just go to the Utica and prospects threads. It's never looked this exciting. Just very exciting times for us fans and JB deserves some accolades. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:15 PM, mll said:

That had likely full backing from ownership - just look at the show they made to introduce him.  NJD has to compete with the NY market and his couple with Lindsey Vonn is quite visible and they have a long list of celebrity connections.   He wasn't supposed to struggle that much.  

Ownership should stay out of hockey decisions then  lol