The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - BUF

Me_

Buffalo has unravelled into disarray. Jack Eichel was very critical of the atmosphere and attitude in Buffalo And now BC boy Sam Reinhardt has called out the Sabres.

What gives.

Anyone in for another local boy on pace for career highs? 

If interested in Buffalo Sabres players, let’s hear it out.

We’ve heard of Ristolainen all along. But it seems the Sabres are ripe to unload something to fix a toxic mix.

Edited by Me_

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Buffalo has unravelled into disarray. Jack Eichel was very critical of the atmosphere and attitude in Buffalo And now BC boy Sam Reinhardt has called out the Sabres.

What gives.

Anyone in for another local boy on pace for career highs? 

If interested in Buffalo Sabres players, let’s hear it out.

We’ve heard of Ristolainen all along. But it seems the Sabres are ripe to unload something to fix a toxic mix.

Both teams don't have cap space.

Pretty much not much you can do to make a trade that works for both sides. 

• Cheers 1

With the cap space it'll be hard to work out a deal that doesn't involve guys like Jake + a lot or one of our ELC studs (Hughes/Petey). I also can't see them moving Reino unless it's for a stud d-man or something. The ask will be too high.

Could try offersheet him for 6-6.3mil per or something, the compensation for that this season was a 1st and a 3rd if I remember correctly, so the same cost that we paid for Miller. Not sure management wants to go back to back drafts without a 1st rounder though. I dunno, it's an intriguing idea though. Would be nice if we had a Sabres fan that could rattle off some ideas for us.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

NINE!!!! mill for Skinner, x forever..what the hell are some of these GM's smoking?

Skinner is good but not nearly 9 million good. That one must be painful to swallow for the fans.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Skinner is good but not nearly 9 million good. That one must be painful to swallow for the fans.

What Buffalo did was pay Skinner like a core piece.  He’s clearly not a core piece.  That’s why they are terrible.  Can’t be paying players like they are core pieces, when they are only support guys.  They have Eichel and (maybe?) Dahlin as core pieces.  They should try to move the rest.  

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

NINE!!!! mill for Skinner, x forever..what the hell are some of these GM's smoking?

I'm not defending it at all, but you score 40g in a contract year at 26yo with a solid history of goal production backing that up then I guarantee some GM in the league is DEFINITELY going to pay you.  As per usual, GM's are their own worst enemy in the salary-escalation wars.  Sadly, this isn't even close to the worst contract in the league imo......but I don't think we want to go down that road here.......lol......

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What Buffalo did was pay Skinner like a core piece.  He’s clearly not a core piece.  That’s why they are terrible.  Can’t be paying players like they are core pieces, when they are only support guys.  They have Eichel and (maybe?) Dahlin as core pieces.  They should try to move the rest.  

To be fair, we did pay Eriksson money to be a core piece and he hasn't even been a regular all year. Teams can handle overpaying a player or two, but they need the depth and surrounding talent to make it happen.

Buffalo needs to go on a full rebuild. 

Sell any and all assets to get draft picks and young Tier A and B prospects.

Keep Eichel and Dahlin and build around them.

But most importantly, steal Judd Bracket (give him whatever he wants) from the Canucks to improve their scouting department.

As for who VAN should target...

Sam Reinhart (3.65M) and Ristolainen (5.4M)

But it would take a lot to get them plus we would have to move a lot out to get under the cap.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sell any and all assets to get draft picks and young Tier A and B prospects.

Keep Eichel and Dahlin and build around them.

But most importantly, steal Judd Bracket (give him whatever he wants) from the Canucks to improve their scouting department.

As for who VAN should target...

Sam Reinhart (3.65M) and Ristolainen (5.4M)

But it would take a lot to get them plus we would have to move a lot out to get under the cap.

Love to get those two players, but (sadly) JB has Loui, Sutter, Baer, and other dead cap space so it’s a no go to improving our depth with these young guys.  How much do we have in dead cap - 20 million?  I don’t know, but add up the bad UFA contacts and a couple reups, and we are in cap trouble we shouldn’t be in. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Blow that mofo up.......

nuclear explosion GIF

We've had more than our share of lean years.  I love seeing other teams implode for a change......Det, NJ, Ana, LA, SJ, Ott......blow'em all up!  Or just stay bad for a long time, I don't care lol.....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not defending it at all, but you score 40g in a contract year at 26yo with a solid history of goal production backing that up then I guarantee some GM in the league is DEFINITELY going to pay you.  As per usual, GM's are their own worst enemy in the salary-escalation wars.  Sadly, this isn't even close to the worst contract in the league imo......but I don't think we want to go down that road here.......lol......

Let the player walk then.  That 9 million is saved cap is more valuable.  Skinner was clearly not worth that contract.  

I think if I was Reinhart, I'd probably tell the team that I wouldn't resign with them next summer, so trade me!

Saying blow the team up is easier said than done. Eichel, Reinhart and Dahlin are about the only guys worth what they are being paid. That's not a good position to be in to make trades.

Skinner at 9 million??? 6.5 - 7 per season was a reach for him, but I also understand the position that the team was in going into negotiations with him. Proven ability to score 35 - 40 goals per season is hard to find in the league.

Looking through their lineup, other than the 3 guys I've mentioned, who would you want to trade for?

Or, is this a case of everyone is so unhappy in Buffalo, that they are under performing in protest?

I think the ONLY thing they can do at this point is tell everyone who I didn't list, to be ready to be moved at the deadline. Tell Johansson and Frolik to submit their list of teams and retain wherever necessary to get picks / prospects for next season. 

Edited by VegasCanuck
Additional

Boeser for reinhart straight up.... do it now buys us a little wiggle room with the salary cap to upgrade on stetcher at deadline say a package for a guy like vantanen might be pricey but we become a much more well rounded team with this line up 

miller-pettersson-reinhart 

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Sutter-gaudette-Leivo/MacEwan

rousell-beagle-Ferland/Eriksson 

Tanev - Hughes

Edler - vantanen

myers- benn 

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Boeser for reinhart straight up.... do it now buys us a little wiggle room with the salary cap to upgrade on stetcher at deadline say a package for a guy like vantanen might be pricey but we become a much more well rounded team with this line up 

miller-pettersson-reinhart 

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Sutter-gaudette-Leivo/MacEwan

rousell-beagle-Ferland/Eriksson 

Tanev - Hughes

Edler - vantanen

myers- benn 

Boeser and Stecher for Reinhart and Ristolainen.

Miller-Pettersson-Reinhart

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Ferland-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Markstrom

Demko

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Boeser and Stecher for Reinhart and Ristolainen.

Miller-Pettersson-Reinhart

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Ferland-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Markstrom

Demko

Reinhart = Boeser and Risto = Boeser. You're not gonna tell Buffalo otherwise.

We'd have to add a lot.