The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

He would be a good addition to fit in with Bo & Pearson. Always liked his game.

As long as the price is right I would do it.

We have a good team and I believe anything can happen in the playoffs. You make the playoffs and you have a chance at the cup.

We already have a glut of forwards and Ferland and Levio presumably returning. Not that I'd be opposed to adding him (assuming low acquisition cost) but we'd need to move some extra bodies out IMO to even think about adding another depth F.

• Upvote 3

Just now, aGENT said:

We already have a glut of forwards and Ferland and Levio presumably returning. Not that I'd be opposed to adding him (assuming low acquisition cost) but we'd need to move some extra bodies out IMO to even think about adding another depth F.

Per LeBrun the plan is to hope on Ferland's return and it's only if he can't return that they will try and bring in Simmonds.  If Ferland can't return he'll be on LTIR and they can use that cap space to add Simmonds if NJD retains. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Considering Simmonds is a UFA this summer, this makes sense, especially if it's based on Ferland being unable to go.  As much as I would like to see Bailey and MacEwen get a chance, if getting Simmonds is because Ferland can't go, then I'm for it.  Simmonds has declined since last season but he's a cagey veteran and is still a tough player to line-up against.  He might not be as effective as Ferland but then Ferland has to be healthy to have an effect at all.

If the Canucks can exchange Baertschi for Simmonds, then I think that works out for all parties.  If I'm not mistaken, combined with Ferland on LTIR, then NJD wouldn't need to retain.  Who knows, maybe Hischier wouldn't mind playing with a fellow Swiss player.  The Devils aren't really in dire straits with their cap so they could afford this.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

he was essentially a 20 range goal scorer for 9 consecutive seasons until this time last year, including in Philly last year....

I'd take him

Of course it would come down to what they expect to get for him - can't be much wadr - but take Baertschi the othere way and perhaps there's a worthwhile return in it.

Lockwood plus Baer work? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Per LeBrun the plan is to hope on Ferland's return and it's only if he can't return that they will try and bring in Simmonds.  If Ferland can't return he'll be on LTIR and they can use that cap space to add Simmonds if NJD retains. 

Still a lot of bodies even without Ferland.

On a positive note, I'm very much for trimming some fat and shipping out some bodies/contracts like Schaller, Baer etc if possible.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Still a lot of bodies even without Ferland.

On a positive note, I'm very much for trimming some fat and shipping out some bodies/contracts like Schaller, Baer etc if possible.

Dumping those guys and their contracts would be great, but IMO a guy like Baer will need to be attached to a decent prospect (Lockwood?) to move.