The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, Chris12345 said:

And Loui or someone else gets bumped which makes the team deeper.

I just don't think he's a difference maker but who knows.

I was wrong before.

I think the difference will show when Brock's back and we have a full lineup. Motte/Leivo will be back in that time too.

People are gonna take it one way or another but I am gonna wait till then.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Ah I didnt see it yet. I guess its not too bad if he re-signs but if he doesnt... then it would be a terrible trade in a season that we ain't going going for the cup

They're going for the Cup every single season.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, rychicken said:

Now JB has 161 hours to upgrade the defence

How and with what? By putting all those players on LTIR, I don't think they can be traded.

Just looked at next season's cap, 18 mil of cap space that's with a 5% increase from the players

Players with expiring contracts;

Tanev

Markstrom

Stecher

Tofoli

Virtanen

Leivo

Gaudette

MacEwen

Those are just the more notable guys and they will cost a lot more than 18 mil even with a discount

And then there is Demko, Pettersson and Hughes

If Ferland was healthy when they signed him, IMO a mistake due to his major concussion history, If they had drafted Tkchuk instead of Juloevi, then they didn't need to sign Ferland If, if , if. it seems a lot of moves now are due to poor ones made before.

This is the team, it doesn't look bad at all except it is old, as old as the last good team that was here just before it's decline, the team that Benning said needed to get younger.

If they make the playoffs they will be playing a team that has been given incentive to load up and those teams are younger and deeper with experience together. Sure hope nothing happens to Markstrom now.

• Wat 1

I didn't think we had enough to get Toffoli, dude is a really good player. But damn I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for Madden to be a player. I'm on the fence on this one, hoping this gamble pays off and hope he signs. Otherwise, I will be very sad to lose Madden for nothing...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Must of been their confidence at C already and the fact that Hog/Pod have him beat at wing in the top 6.

Also has to pack on weight. He ain't no Petey. Vancouver would be hard for him to crack since he would have to be top 6 or nothing. Need grit in that bottom 6 no more buttery soft guys.

Imagine a guy Maddens size during the Kings' 2 cup wins.  He'd have been murdered in the playoffs.  Skill is more important than size, but the Kings won 2 cups based on beating players on more than the scoreboard and players like Pearson and Toffoli playing a hard, tough and big game helped achieve that.  Madden might turn out to be an amazing player, I actually like him a lot.  But I just look at the last 8 cup winners and really, that heavy game is essential.

With Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson etc etc etc already slotted in to the centre position for the next 5 years or more he was either a winger or trade bait unless he forced his way in.  I love Madden I just couldn't and cannot see that happening.  Nor could I see him being as effective as we'd need in the playoffs

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

How and with what? By putting all those players on LTIR, I don't think they can be traded.

Just looked at next season's cap, 18 mil of cap space that's with a 5% increase from the players

Players with expiring contracts;

Tanev

Markstrom

Stecher

Tofoli

Virtanen

Leivo

Gaudette

MacEwen

Those are just the more notable guys and they will cost a lot more than 18 mil even with a discount

And then there is Demko, Pettersson and Hughes

If Ferland was healthy when they signed him, IMO a mistake due to his major concussion history, If they had drafted Tkchuk instead of Juloevi, then they didn't need to sign Ferland If, if , if. it seems a lot of moves now are due to poor ones made before.

This is the team, it doesn't look bad at all except it is old, as old as the last good team that was here just before it's decline, the team that Benning said needed to get younger.

If they make the playoffs they will be playing a team that has been given incentive to load up and those teams are younger and deeper with experience together. Sure hope nothing happens to Markstrom now.

Players on the LTIR can be traded but it has to be disclosed (Evander Kane, Chris Pronger).

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I got a feeling we are getting Dillon!! Virtanen/Rafferty/Juolevi/Tryamkin

FTFY

We don't need to be spenders I believe beyond what has already occurred in the last year

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, samurai said:

Stay calm and enjoy the push for a playoff spot.  The canucks goal is the playoffs - its kind of like living day to day.

That's great, but I don't have to care about that goal. If we aren't able to re-sign the players we need to or Toffoli walks this is a disaster. First round exit or not. This team goes nowhere with this defense. If they were going to do something it should have been packaging Stecher for an upgrade on D.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Imagine a guy Maddens size during the Kings' 2 cup wins.  He'd have been murdered in the playoffs.  Skill is more important than size, but the Kings won 2 cups based on beating players on more than the scoreboard and players like Pearson and Toffoli playing a hard, tough and big game helped achieve that.  Madden might turn out to be an amazing player, I actually like him a lot.  But I just look at the last 8 cup winners and really, that heavy game is essential.

With Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson etc etc etc already slotted in to the centre position for the next 5 years or more he was either a winger or trade bait unless he forced his way in.  I love Madden I just couldn't and cannot see that happening.  Nor could I see him being as effective as we'd need in the playoffs

Yep

• Like 1