The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I love Stech, but unfortunately he’s the odd man out on D. Especially since we have upcoming promising prospects like Juolevi, Rafferty, Woo etc. Cap room is a problem too. 

Wouldn’t mind us recouping some picks since we gave up our first & second rounder.

I’m sure JB is trying to trade Stecher, but the kid has no value.  He’s a coming RFA who’s QO will be way more than he’s worth.  He walks as a UFA July 1, because we will not Qualify him.  No team will Qualify Stecher.  So that makes him a 20 game rental.  What playoff team wants Stecher?  

• Upvote 2

Anyone know the figure for Stech's QO? If its like Hutton last year then his value is basically at a rental level. I'm sure a team looking to round out the bottom of their D-core would have interest. 

For us, we'd have to get an NHL player back, or why do it? (even if don't end up qualifying him) Benning isn't going to make the team worse now that they've spent futures on Miller & Toffoli.

I like Stecher, but he's an understandable guy to get squeezed out with Rafferty coming up behind him. I also wonder if they should look at moving Benn if they could ink Fantenberg to a cheaper number. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Anyone know the figure for Stech's QO? If its like Hutton last year then his value is basically at a rental level. I'm sure a team looking to round out the bottom of their D-core would have interest. 

For us, we'd have to get an NHL player back, or why do it? (even if don't end up qualifying him) Benning isn't going to make the team worse now that they've spent futures on Miller & Toffoli.

I like Stecher, but he's an understandable guy to get squeezed out with Rafferty coming up behind him. I also wonder if they should look at moving Benn if they could ink Fantenberg to a cheaper number. 

I think the speculation is it should be similar to Hutton’s. So the idea is at the moment he’s most likely gone after this year. As there’s bigger needs to allocate our money towards than a 3.5 mill bottom pairing dman. We got Rafferty or Juolevi that could fill that role next year.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

2.325M  

It’s 100% of the base salary (without bonus) of the final season for salaries above 1M.  

CapFriendly has a calculator:   https://www.capfriendly.com/qualifying-offer-calculator

He has arbitration rights and filed last time.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

my guess is something around Stecher for Kapanen, we add something I would assume. Or, Tanev which I agree selling him on him would be smart for Barrie.

Tanev for Barrie even the trade out however it is needed would upset most CDC people but it still leaves our D looking decent.

Edler Barrie

Hughes Myers- we did sign this giant twig to play in our top 4 after all.

Benn Rafferty/Tryamkin

Would also trade Fantenberg for a mid round pick, think he could maybe fetch that with these returns this TDL

I don't think Kapanen would be a player Benning and Green would be overly interested in.  He's a perfect example of the type of 'soft skill' player that they're trying to eliminate from their team (and mostly have).  Definitely not the type of player to excel in the post-season.

I love the effort Stecher puts in. He really tries out there, and it shows.

He also has good overall skill. He is defensively responsible (minus pucks off the face), skates fairly well and can actually contribute to scoring when on his game.

But that's where it ends. He doesn't have a role. He isn't a scorer. He isn't a super defensive guy like Tanev. He isn't a physical presence. He just....is.

This team needs role players. Players which allow Green to say: I need _____ from my team right now, so I will put out ______. Stecher doesn't give you this, and I think it is clear he probably never will.

That, combined with his RFA status for our cap-strapped team and what appears to be lost confidence by Green leads me to expect he is all but gone from this team if we either get a role d back, or if we feel we have a suitable replacement in Tryamkin or Rafferty.

I feel these rumors DO have teeth. But if so, I feel for the guy. He grew up watching the Canucks, tries his heart out and seems like a good guy, but the fit just doesn't really seem to be there.

• Cheers 4

Stetcher is like the defense version of who Granlund was for us. It will suck to see him go as I'm a big fan of his however hes the most replaceable guy and we can save a couple mill on the cap in doing so. 

Hes kinda in the Hutton situation where he wont be worth his next re up. If we could bring him back for 1.5m I'd do that all day long though. And I think for this reason he has more value to the canucks in keeping him through this postseason and letting him walk in the offseason than he would return in trade.

I will say that even though Stecher is probably the strongest candidate for being traded on defense, he’s definitely respected. 

Reading the posts here makes me proud to be a member of the CDC. The respect, knowledge, and levelheadedness that many have here is a breath of fresh air compared to the vile vitriol on display on Twitter and Instagram to Troy. That is the bottom of the barrel. 

• Cheers 4

Would they really be able to upgrade from him the rest of the season though? I mean things can happen leading to and in the playoffs. They might wish they had a player with some nhl experience vs a callup. Would the trade be worth the return for someone who is a bottom pairing guy? :huh: 

14 minutes ago, beni said:

Would they really be able to upgrade from him the rest of the season though? I mean things can happen leading to and in the playoffs. They might wish they had a player with some nhl experience vs a callup. Would the trade be worth the return for someone who is a bottom pairing guy? :huh: 

We can probably sign Bogosian cheap in a day.

Both Fantenburg and Benn are NHL'ers.

Then we'd still have a likely returning Tryamkin (also has NHL experience) and then any of Brisebois, Sautner and Rafferty (who also all have a few NHL games under their belts) and OJ.

If we don't plan to re-sign Stecher (it doesn't look like it) we should certainly be exploring our options given the high returns we're seeing for the TDL.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m sure JB is trying to trade Stecher, but the kid has no value.  He’s a coming RFA who’s QO will be way more than he’s worth.  He walks as a UFA July 1, because we will not Qualify him.  No team will Qualify Stecher.  So that makes him a 20 game rental.  What playoff team wants Stecher?  

His qualifying offer isn’t an issue at all and he is well worth it.

A possible arb award is an entirely different thing.  Several years playing 20 minutes a game before this season gives him a good case to be paid as a top 4 guy.

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I don't think Kapanen would be a player Benning and Green would be overly interested in.  He's a perfect example of the type of 'soft skill' player that they're trying to eliminate from their team (and mostly have).  Definitely not the type of player to excel in the post-season.

He would help our PK and be a scoring threat while on it. could play up and down the line up kind of like Honey Badger. Canucks still have soft players, all teams do. So adding someone younger with term who can help and bring speed is a player to consider. 

I would like us to get some more size and toughness who can also bring scoring like J. Anderson but we would have to pay more for him because of that complete package

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I like Kap. One of the few skilled Leafs who actually wins a board battle. I'd like him in the top six but I don't think Stetch alone would do it. Tanev and Stetch? Maybe.

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like Kap. One of the few skilled Leafs who actually wins a board battle. I'd like him in the top six but I don't think Stetch alone would do it. Tanev and Stetch? Maybe.

that package should net us Tor 2021 1st as well, maybe a 2nd that turns into a 1st if Tanev re signs. Tanev would command a superb return if JB had mega balls and cashed in on his fluke of a healthy season

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

that package should net us Tor 2021 1st as well, maybe a 2nd that turns into a 1st if Tanev re signs. Tanev would command a superb return if JB had mega balls and cashed in on his fluke of a healthy season

I can agree with that. I need to factor in that Kapanen hasn't had a great season. Then go after Barrie in the offseason to replenish the right side depth?

Edited by rekker

On 2/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, Alflives said:

We lost Hutton for absolutely no return (he is an NHL D); don’t want to see that repeat and have Stetcher walk for no return at all. If we don’t need him JB should try to at least get a pick.

6 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

We lost Hutton for absolutely no return (he is an NHL D); don’t want to see that repeat and have Stetcher walk for no return at all. If we don’t need him JB should try to at least get a pick.

I'm pretty sure Hutton was shopped. No one wanted him.

• Upvote 2