The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just heard Elliot Friedman troll us.  He said if the Canucks want Simmonds it’s going to cost Juiolevi.  

Not for Simmonds, I hope. If they're trading Juolevi, I hope they get an NHL Dman back who can help this team, otherwise, keep him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

NJD is undecided on trading Simmonds per LeBrun.  Sounds like the return will have be worth it or they’ll just keep him.  It’s not the Canucks that have the upper hand in the trade - they are the ones who want to bring in toughness.  NJD doesn’t have to do anything.

Then I guess Jersey keeps Simmonds.  Not a chance any team gives up a sure thing top four D man prospect for Simmonds.  Friedman knows that too.  He knows his printing this idea is trolling.  Kind of shocked a Canuck’s fan would support it.  Interesting.  

3 hours ago, rekker said:

If JB trades Woo for Simmonds I will lose my $&!#. Just, no.

Agree they would have to take some salary back and then maybe add for me to let Woo go. Maybe Woo and Stetcher for Simmons 30% retained and a 2nd

8 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD is undecided on trading Simmonds per LeBrun.  Sounds like the return will have be worth it or they’ll just keep him.  It’s not the Canucks that have the upper hand in the trade - they are the ones who want to bring in toughness.  NJD doesn’t have to do anything.

Just gamesmanship... we don’t HAVE to get Simmonds, there are a lot of “tough” options out there aside from him (like Grant).  The only appeal of Simmonds would be that he is cheap.

He is a pending UFA on a non playoff team.  He has zero value to them and they aren’t getting a grade A prospect for him.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Agree they would have to take some salary back and then maybe add for me to let Woo go. Maybe Woo and Stetcher for Simmons 30% retained and a 2nd

It's just a non-starter for me. But mostly because I have no interest in adding an old, injury proned Simmons to the roster. Let Zack run with the job. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I don’t agree he’s expensive and a UFA, think of past deadlines Canucks fans have been saying trade guys like that no matter what the return is, likely won’t re-sign in NJ. This is just posturing to get the best possible return.  In the end he will be dealt, whether it’s the Canucks or not. 

Just now, Provost said:

Just gamesmanship... we don’t have to get Simmonds, there are a lot of “tough” options.  The only appeal of Simmonds would be that he is cheap.

He is a pending UFA on a non playoff team.  He has zero value to them and they aren’t getting a grade A prospect for him.

The whole thing is a farce. Simmonds of five years ago? Sure. For now though I will take Zack and the enthusiasm he brings.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's just a non-starter for me. But mostly because I have no interest in adding an old, injury proned Simmons to the roster. Let Zack run with the job. 

Yup, the only way this makes sense is if we're sending a cap dump back. Baer and a prospect for expiring Simmonds, sure.

Legit assets? No cap dump going back? HELL NO. They can keep him.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we trade Stecher now, would Rafferty be the guy coming up? 

Initially yes. See what we've got in him. Not ready? Give Chatfield a look. Not ready? Benn and/or Fantenberg hold the fort until Tryamkin hopefully returns. Worst case scenario is Tryamkin doesn't return this season (or at all), Rafferty/Chatfield are duds, and Benn/Fantenberg look out of place on the right side (despite hearing all summer that they can play the right side). Lots would have to go wrong to make us wish we still had Stecher's 15 mins of ice time back.

With all this said, I'm perfectly fine with keeping Stecher for this playoff drive as well. But he's as good as gone next season unless he takes a pay-cut to stay.

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Would cost more than Woo just to get rid of LE but I’d love that deal, we should be looking for ways to get out of some of these contracts - LE Baertschi Sutter Beagle 

We have tonnes of cap space right now. Once we pay Loui his $5m next July he becomes far more tradeable with a sweetener. 

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Yeah we did the same thing with Hamhuis, how did that work out.  

I fink Buffalo should be the team to target for RHD they have Ristolainen, Montour, Miller and Jokiharju on the roster. Bogosian and a couple more rhd prospects.

Not much outside Dahlin and McCabe as LHD.

Baer+Goldy+Stecher for Ristolainen or Jokiharju preferring Ristolainen.

With goldy/baer finishing the year with Utica on loan.

He's Big Fast and plays offensively with a physical edge, yes please!

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

All these rumours floating around. I'm scared. Can someone lock up JB till noon Monday? He can be like a scorned housewife at the oulet mall at times. 

I’m scared too! With Gaudette’s and Juolevi’s names floating around and the only rumoured player to us is a very washed up Wayne Simmonds!

• Cheers 1