The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

30 minutes ago, lmm said:

You both know that the other one might be right?

It is possible that aGENT is correct and that the rest of us showing concern are being foolish.

It seems that aGENT wear their ROSE COLOURED GLASS' so tight to their head that they can't made a reasoned response without scathing condesention.

Fred might also be right, maybe we asscend to the great heights of near playoffs then tumble to the basement again and Brackett is the next big thing.

There is certainly enough history within the organisation to make such a scenerio a reasoned possiblity.

Past regimes has erred on Larionov, Jagr, Messier (twice) Bure, Gretzky, Laforge, MacIlhargy (x3), Pat White, and Jason Herter.

Sometimes trades have made mistakes not so bad, Like aGENT says using Pearson as an example, Gillis turned Pat white into Erhoff, but that does not make Pat White a good pick.

Sure Benning has made some good picks, as have regimes before him. The problem is that those regimes before have started in a good direction and them imploded for no good reason.  Trouble with Linden followed by trouble with Brackett suggests that this might be more than mellodrama. It might be the past coming back to haunt us again.

Maybe things all work out, maybe this is the tipping point of the asyss.

maybe there is a point in the middle that will work out, or not.

2 final points

one is an obervation, the othert a question.

1. It seems this team needs a president, Benning does not seem to want more responsibility, he seems to want less. Maybe he has the next great operations format, but there does seem to be a void at the mid-top of management.

2. does anyone have info for or against Chris Gear?

This thread could be renamed the Brackett vs Gear thread witha side order of Wiesbrod.

It seems many believe Brackett is our guy and Gear is a nobody, and thern there is the other side who believe a "Capologist" is the missing link and that Brackett will not be missed because we have that angle covered.

But what about Chris Gear? I have read his bio, but does anybody have anything else to say about him?

All aGENT is doing is pointing out how big of a sewing circle full of drama queens people on here are and that they shouldn't be so gullible to fall for our media's usual M.O. of fabricating grand dramas from scraps of information and conjecture.

There's very little evidence of anything other than that Benning likes to scout and our head scout may, or may not, want additional say and autonomy than he'll likely get at the Canucks. The rest reads is a bunch of garbage that makes daytime soap writers look like enthralling Pulitzer winners.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I don't for a moment believe that this is melodramatic nonsense, the same story is being sauced by too many individual parties. The FACT is we have been successful with the amateur draft for a number of year. I don't care who's on top you simply do not start to dissemble that team, it's worked, so, "as you were" and get back to it. Take your silly spats over power and glory that need  an arbitrator  and that person is Aquilini. He pays the wages he's the guy in charge of these infants. Sorry to say the only way this will be resolved as we stand is Brackett leaves and our amateur scouting goes down the tube and who ever Brackett reservices with ( and he will ) suddenly become very good. That's a heck or a price to pay :mad:

Brackett has been with the Canucks since 2008.  Granted, he was learning his craft but a long time passed when the Canucks were whiffing at the draft table.  Who says that Brackett can walk on water?  Is there any coincidence that he and the Canucks started drafting much better AFTER Benning was hired.  Perhaps Benning, the Master, son of a scout, taught him everything he knew and now it is time for the apprentice to leave.

Honestly, Brackett has more of a future working with a GM who isn't strong on drafting (now that he knows his craft well).  

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, lmm said:

You both know that the other one might be right?

It is possible that aGENT is correct and that the rest of us showing concern are being foolish.

It seems that aGENT wear their ROSE COLOURED GLASS' so tight to their head that they can't made a reasoned response without scathing condesention.

Fred might also be right, maybe we asscend to the great heights of near playoffs then tumble to the basement again and Brackett is the next big thing.

... and most rational people can be between the two ridiculous extremes.

It is absolutely right to have concerns that our best performing department has been losing key members and is likely to lose the head of the department. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.  Find a way to keep it together.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth by some folks here the moment someone expresses any concern is moronic.  As are their straw man arguments suggesting that anyone expressing concerns is a drama queen.

No poster on here has the access or inside knowledge that even the worst local NHL beat reporter does.  The reporters speculate and fill time... but when they say they heard something from a team source... they heard it... it is easy to differentiate between the two. The hubris of someone sitting in their basement deciding they know better is just that... misplaced ego.

Benning is GM and gets to pick his guys.  Brackett can also look for greener pastures.  I have led an HR department that has thousands of employees under its umbrella.  I have seen that leaders who find good people and them give them more autonomy to do their jobs fare better at retaining good talent than those who micromanage.  The best folks will move to where they have the most freedom.  I have also seen (and made the mistake myself on more than one occasion), that it is harder to delegate in the areas where you have the most expertise.... like Benning has in scouting.

We won’t likely fall apart without Brackett, but we won’t be as good.  He has value as will be seen when he immediately gets snapped up by another organization.  I do note that Agent has always historically put our drafting success on BOTH Brackett and Benning.... but now losing 50% of that tandem is suddenly not going to have any impact and anyone suggesting so is foolish.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Contracts are one thing that Benning had been criticized for (and rightly so imo).  I think that having Gear to work on contracts is a good thing and the last while, the contracts have looked much better.

Is Bennings strength amateur scouting?  Of course, wouldn't it be natural for him to take a larger role here?  Damn right.  And a smaller role with something he is not so good at.

My take is that Benning has had some good advice on how to build the front office and is acting on it.  Brackett unfortunately, is strong on scouting too obviously but if Benning is structuring the front office the way he is (and should) then Brackett is on the outside looking in.  It's not necessarily personal, it's business.

to me this seems like a top-down/hands-off style (Jim) conflicting with someone who maybe wants things more flat (Judd). 

Whatever happens though the panic is over the top. For all we know, we have the next "Judd" in waiting. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I do note that Agent has always historically put our drafting success on BOTH Brackett and Benning.... but now losing 50% of that tandem is suddenly not going to have any impact and anyone suggesting so is foolish.

Agent has made no such claims. My only 'claim' is that our media are a bunch of overly dramatic fabricators who pray on the gullible who enjoy a good yarn over boring common sense and middling reality. 

I'm not talking any 'extreme' position. 

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

If i could vote on this I would want Judd Bracket as the teams new GM for the 2021 season! 

So you want to promote a guy with zero experience in either a GM or assistant GM role to take over and make rookie mistakes?  Brackett's good in his role and deserves a promotion, but not to be the GM on a team that should be trying to win now.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agent has made no such claims. My only 'claim' is that our media are a bunch of overly dramatic fabricators who pray on the gullible who enjoy a good yarn over boring common sense and middling reality. 

I'm not talking any 'extreme' position. 

It doesn’t take complicated search to see it.

Vietually every time you referenced our scouting before this thread you used the term “Benning/Brackett” putting equal importance on them.

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

It doesn’t take complicated search to see it.

Vietually every time you referenced our scouting before this thread you used the term “Benning/Brackett” putting equal importance on them.

And? Where did I post IF Brackett leaves it isn't a loss?

Edited by aGENT

much of what's said it good, common sense. Most good journalists won't put their name to an article unless they have confirmation from at least two sources, they publish rumour they ain't around long. This Trumpian suggestion that all news is fake news isn't good but I suppose that's where we are in todays society. When Elliot Freeman added his name I took notice. It's sad that thing appear to have become so contentious is not good. Information comes not just from Vcr but throughout the sports world. If we assume Brackett is gone  I tend to think his reputation will be shown in how quick he's re-hired. I'm shocked if they have him around for the draft 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

What isn't arguable is that Benning is the GM who runs the franchise. He hires and fires and sets the culture; he tells scouts what to look for and expects them to do so; and, he will live and die with our success. We are succeeding, and if there is any dissonance then they can leave or expect to be let go ala Linden. 

What isn't arguable is that Benning is the GM.

full stopo.

Who runs the franchise? has been up for debate since the Torts hiring

Generally speaking the GM does not fire the President, but this is Canuckville, maybe its actually run by Christian Aquelini, (dressing room attendant)

Benning will not live or die with our success, but he may get fired and end up a scout or head scout for another franchise.

We are not succeeding, we are trending in the right direction. Name another team that is succeeding with 4 straight playoff misses?

If there is any dissonance then they can leave... that one I also agree with, but if that is Jim's best problem solving tool, I don't have much hope for the long term success.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1NNVC_enCA476CA478&q=define+totalitarianism&forcedict=totalitarianism&dictcorpus=en-US&expnd=1

Is this your road to success? cool

• Like 1

I think, not going into a panic over losing a member of staff equals totalitarianism, is a bit much. 
Who here really knows anything about, what’s going on or not? A few tweets from a couple of hacks, and a ‘picture’ of bad management is emerging? Surely not....

Maybe Brackett has other ambitions than to stay with Canucks forever.... Doesn’t need to have anything to do with Benning.

Maybe Brackett already told Benning 6 months ago, that this would be his final year with the Canucks Organisation as he has had other offers, he would likely like to pursue? And being a gentleman, Benning did not take a hissy fit and threw him in the street?

Could also be that Benning isn’t entirely satisfied with the info he’s been getting from Brackett and off the scene they are at loggerheads?
Or maybe Brackett feels our drafting would be better, had they followed his ideas and wants a more hands on?

Or maybe there is indeed someone within the organisation, who’s had a hand in a lot of the scouting of talent and is pushing for a promotion?

Or maybe Benning just doesn’t like Bracketts deodorant at the draft table and told him it was the Canucks or the deodorant???  

Could be 1000s of reasons for Brackett leaving, if indeed he does leave. 
Fact is not a single poster, blogger, tweeter or paper hack here knows anything except hearsay.... 

Benning is in charge, and as the man in charge, he deserves the respect for everything that happens within the organisation, just like he has to take the flack for anything that goes wrong, and rightfully so... 

Posters here seem to jump to conclusions that fits their narrative of Benning. 
How about we lay off Benning until we see if it is bad for the organisation, what happens next. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

- Knowing one or a few instances that someone was correct with their draft opinion does not mean that they are necessarily good at drafting. The information that we need to know is how many times they were wrong with their draft input. In this respect only insiders know. J.B. would have insider info as to how many times scouts missed on their draft choices and this is something fans are not privy to. A scout could have been lucky suggesting Pettersson to management for the 5th overall pick and but his track record overall could be mediocre. 

- What worries me about this Judd Bracket situation is not that he is leaving but the potential indication that there is something wrong with the way J.B. leads this organization. The responsibility to hold J.B. accountable resides with the owners.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Like I've said, he's created a winning culture and direction with this franchise, and if any single member looks at where we're at and doesn't want to be a part of it and thinks they deserve more or know better then they can see themselves out. Buy-in or bye bye.

Wow that's very expansive of you, democratic. If we don't follow your guidelines bye bye. That's the very essence of self totalitarianism. My read or any other posters read regarding the state of the franchise is just as valid. Here's the difference no one else tells other to take off if they don't fall in line with their beliefs. It's nice to know narcissism is alive and flourishing :lol: have a nice day :rolleyes:  

Edited by Fred65
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Wow that's very expansive of you, democratic. If we don't follow your guidelines bye bye. That's the very essence of self totalitarianism. My read or any other posters read regarding the state of the franchise is just as valid. Here's the difference no one else tells other to take off if they don't fall in line with their beliefs. It's nice to know narcissism is alive and flourishing :lol: have a nice day :rolleyes:  

Your reading comprehension is lacking. He's talking about the culture of the team, not the forums. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Would anyone fire both Benning and Weisbrod just to keep Brackett and give him AGM and then find a new GM. Just wondering

I'd fire Weisbrod and find a president of hockey ops to put Benning on a stricter leash.

Benning is a good scout but I think he should let Judd and the amateur scouting department to do their work and then they can have healthy debates on who to draft. To be a good leader, you gotta listen to your team mates and let them do what they are good at.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Again, this just sounds like (if any of it is even true) Judd wants a less scouting involved management to work under. I'm sure he can find a better fit elsewhere in that case. This is not a soap opera.

• Cheers 2