The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

1 hour ago, khay said:

There sure ain't going to be an asterisk when the team and the players' names get etched onto the cup. 

I think its really the "traditionalists" that are moaning about it before its even begun. Its a difference of 9 games vs a regular season, to piss all over a cup winner for that is a bit ridiculous imo, particularly when you are OK with Chicago winning on a 48 game season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, John_Guest said:

I suspect these won't be like a regular rough and tumble playoff series. I'm thinking it might be more women's rules hockey. The "social distancing" playoffs.

This current version of the Canucks might do surprisingly well in something like that.

You don’t know hockey players if you think that.

As soon as the puck drops and the cup is on the line these guys will go all out.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its really the "traditionalists" that are moaning about it before its even begun. Its a difference of 9 games vs a regular season, to piss all over a cup winner for that is a bit ridiculous imo, particularly when you are OK with Chicago winning on a 48 game season. 

The funny thing is, we haven't even won it yet. Heck, whether there will or will not be playoffs isn't even determined! And yet, these people are already complaining! 

"I don't want the Canucks to win because it's a different playoffs format."

"Well then, let's cancel the playoffs."

"But but, I want hockey back."

The only thing that will satisfy them is the hockey to be back, but the Canucks don't win so that they can bash other teams' fans for winning a cup with an "asterisk." 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As soon as the puck drops and the cup is on the line these guys will go all out.

Imagine Marchand out there in fine form.  He would drive players wild.

Of course, every player would have cleared quarantine and be as safe as a person can be.  The thing is, not every player will pass....or coach.....

Imagine the SCF without Hughson because he failed quarantine and we have to go with Randorf instead :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Imagine Marchand out there in fine form.  He would drive players wild.

Of course, every player would have cleared quarantine and be as safe as a person can be.  The thing is, not every player will pass....or coach.....

Imagine the SCF without Hughson because he failed quarantine and we have to go with Randorf instead :lol:

I wonder what will hppen if there is an outbreak of any kind amongst the teams in one of the host cities?  Three people tested positive in the UFC fight, absolutely plausible it could happen in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Miller/Petey

Bo

Sutter

Beagle

Thats some serious C depth if everyone's healthy. Minni counters with:

Staal

Erikson Ek

and..... ?

we should dominate on the dot. I see no way for Minni to dominate us physically either. Maybe Greenway but Nurse tuned him up so I'm not all that concerned. 

On paper we look better but Minnesota has shown that they aren't a team to overlook.  The Wild really seemed to buy in into Dean Evason, who knows perhaps they catch lightning in a bottle and run with it.  

Are they a serious concern, no, but certainly cannot overlook them still a good team on that end.  

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder what will hppen if there is an outbreak of any kind amongst the teams in one of the host cities?  Three people tested positive in the UFC fight, absolutely plausible it could happen in the NHL.

Yep, this venture is not without risk to be sure.  There are a lot of people involved and the more people, the longer the odds of success.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Three people tested positive after the fight? Or before they even had their fight?

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Really? Why don't the women do that? "Go all out" as soon as the puck drops, as you describe?

Careful now. gAv5mI9.png

11 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Really? Why don't the women do that? "Go all out" as soon as the puck drops, as you describe?

Careful now. gAv5mI9.png

Body checks are penalties in the women’s game, but you just have to watch any game between Canada and the USA and you’ll see that the women definitely “go all out.” 

And sometimes, they don’t let the stricter rules stop them from mixing it up as good (or bad, depending on your perspective) as the men

699E2161-5152-4409-B528-4864C1BDB8B8.gif.463a7e683aa4355d382760a1f57b7bb2.gif

A00C4B31-85E1-45BC-8190-5542D66C4C51.gif.482eb8ca4a402ef72528415b31c608d4.gif

42E21839-006C-4012-9598-19DC1433397E.gif.b1e9d8b0f30088637544f0065b4b62d9.gif

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The NHL Players’ Association’s executive committee authorized moving forward in talks with the league on returning to play.

Hmmmmm . Getting closer to hearing some news....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhlpa-vote-first-many-big-steps-nhl-can-return-play/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/23/nhl-players-association-approves-going-forward-with-24-team-playoff-talks.html

Edited by bpow
more info

25 minutes ago, bpow said:

The NHL Players’ Association’s executive committee authorized moving forward in talks with the league on returning to play.

Hmmmmm . Getting closer to hearing some news....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/23/nhl-players-association-approves-going-forward-with-24-team-playoff-talks.html

Hearing news, at least they are talking.  There would be a lot to talk about.  Need to keep the idled masses occupied.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

They were one of the better teams through the second half, as you’ve pointed out elsewhere. 

Does their lack of delivering hits correlate with strong puck possession stats? 

Will advanced stats show that they weren’t hitting as often because they usually had the puck instead of chasing opponents for it? 

The Wild looked to me like a smart, efficient team that used positioning and strength for puck retrieval, not hitting; the trademark of the poise of a veteran team. 

Thoughts? 

I think it's more that they are not build that way and rely more on stick work and smart positioning to get the puck back. 

Sportlogiq's video tracking software just crowned Koivu as the league's best puck battler this season.  He has 25 hits on the season.  Advanced stats considers their D-corps elite.  Heat maps show their front of the net to be ice blue where they just keep shots to the perimeter. 

The Wild might not be overly physical but they don't shy from contact.  They typically get their goals from driving to the net.  Parise is the typical Wild player - hard working and taking a beating at the net.

The Wild were more of a dump and chase team under Boudreau.  Evason wants them to hold on and carry the puck more though.

Fiala's emergence, progress of their young players, more reliable goaltending and overall buy-in and team unity is more the reason why they've somewhat overcome their poor start to the season.  It was still peaks and valleys but nothing as bad as their 1st month.

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Three people tested positive after the fight? Or before they even had their fight?

I'm sure you know it was pre-fight.  It doesn't change the fact that it's still there waiting and an outbreak could easily happen.......especially if games are in the US

I think people here are giving the Wild a bit too much benefit of the doubt. Who cares if the Wild were hot before the season ended? It's not like that momentum is going to continue after a 2 month hiatus. It's the same silly logic that a team will start a season well because they ended the last season hot. We've never had a team with both Boeser and Toffoli, we may be one of the most stacked teams on wing in the league. A playoff starting Canucks team looks like:

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Virtanen Gaudette Sutter

Ferland/Motte Beagle Roussel

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Benn Myers

Markstrom

We are pushing legitimate 3rd line wingers into our 4th line.

Their PK is atrocious, we should be eating them alive during special teams. If anything this playoff replicates the beginning of the season more than the latter. With our key players being younger, they should be better able to shake off the rust. Their key players, Staal, Suter, and Parise looked awful to start the season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I think people here are giving the Wild a bit too much benefit of the doubt. Who cares if the Wild were hot before the season ended? It's not like that momentum is going to continue after a 2 month hiatus. It's the same silly logic that a team will start a season well because they ended the last season hot. We've never had a team with both Boeser and Toffoli, we may be one of the most stacked teams on wing in the league. A playoff starting Canucks team looks like:

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Virtanen Gaudette Sutter

Ferland/Motte Beagle Roussel

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Benn Myers

Markstrom

We are pushing legitimate 3rd line wingers into our 4th line.

Their PK is atrocious, we should be eating them alive during special teams. If anything this playoff replicates the beginning of the season more than the latter. With our key players being younger, they should be better able to shake off the rust. Their key players, Staal, Suter, and Parise looked awful to start the season. 

+10 for optimism alone... 

Should have a good chance of doing well.... 

Bring it on.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm sure you know it was pre-fight.  It doesn't change the fact that it's still there waiting and an outbreak could easily happen.......especially if games are in the US

Every player will likely quarantine and then be tested before they start.

With controlled environments and regular testing the risk of a spread is much lower.

Could they still get infected? Of course but that’s the risk they have to weigh when deciding to continue play.

I think by the time the plan is unveiled there’s going to be so many precautions included to put the players minds at ease and allow them to just play.

Edited by DeNiro