The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

The boys better come back in shape.

I got 

Miller-Pete-Toff

Pearson-Bo-Boes

Motte-Gaudette-Virt

Roussel-Sutter-Beagle

*Ferland, and Leivo can replace Motte, and Roussel if healthy.

Edley-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stetcher

Marky Mark

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Doesn't look like Boucher will be part of the black aces group coming up for the play in.

Too bad he could never make the jump to the NHL.. never brought anything else to the table and didn't play with enough intensity when he was called up... 
Utica loves the guy though, and he was an absolute beauty in the AHL, scoring that much in one of the hardest league in the world is nothing to be ashamed about. 
Best of luck with your future Reid!

• Cheers 3

On 6/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Just reading the title of this posting had me wondering

What if a player choses not to return while the virus is still active, maybe it won't be a full healthy roster?

1- will he be protected by players assoc. if he stay home ,with pay?

2- will he be suspended without pay?

I never read any discussion on this, has it been brought up?

The regular season is over and players are only paid over the regular season.  In the post-season there is what the CBA calls a "player fund" that gets distributed based on results.  The CBA foresees prize money of 16M total this year and the NHLPA has to agree on a distribution key among the different participating teams. 

Players will have the option to opt out.  Players opting out won't be entitled to a share of the player fund but there are no other financial consequence per LeBrun.  Players who agree to play have to abide by the protocol which looks to be very strict. 

23 hours ago, Lackhalak said:

F

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Sutter

Motte - Graovac - MacEwan

Eriksson -     -     - Bailey 

Baertschi -     -     - Lind

(Leivo)

D

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Stetcher

Juolevi - Myers

Benn - Rafferty

Fantenberg - Chatfield

Sautner - 

Briesbois - 

G

Markstrom

Demko

Domingue

Dipietro

This is what i believe the depth chart should be going into the playoffs. I think Juolevi is arguably the 3rd best LD on the team (regular team and black aces)

Take out Beagle, move Sutter to the C position and put MacEwan to the wing. 

With Virtanen, Ferland, Roussel and MacEwan in the lineup, nobody is touching petey, quinn 

2 hours ago, mll said:

The regular season is over and players are only paid over the regular season.  In the post-season there is what the CBA calls a "player fund" that gets distributed based on results.  The CBA foresees prize money of 16M total this year and the NHLPA has to agree on a distribution key among the different participating teams. 

Players will have the option to opt out.  Players opting out won't be entitled to a share of the player fund but there are no other financial consequence per LeBrun.  Players who agree to play have to abide by the protocol which looks to be very strict. 

Thanks, Would it be worth the risk for an unsigned player to risk injury, before signing a new contract?

How many unsigned players are we alone counting on taking this risk?

Doesn't that include Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom, Stetcher. Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, Motte, Fantenberg, Chatfield, Brisebois, Graovac, Bailey, Sautner,?

If the Play-ins start, can we expect these players to play and be available ?

On 6/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Thanks, Would it be worth the risk for an unsigned player to risk injury, before signing a new contract?

How many unsigned players are we alone counting on taking this risk?

Doesn't that include Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom, Stetcher. Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, Motte, Fantenberg, Chatfield, Brisebois, Graovac, Bailey, Sautner,?

If the Play-ins start, can we expect these players to play and be available ?

It's the opportunity to showcase themselves and also the chance to play for a Cup.  Not sure UFAs would see it differently than other seasons in respect to injuries.  

Edited by mll

On 6/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

Too bad he could never make the jump to the NHL.. never brought anything else to the table and didn't play with enough intensity when he was called up... 
Utica loves the guy though, and he was an absolute beauty in the AHL, scoring that much in one of the hardest league in the world is nothing to be ashamed about. 
Best of luck with your future Reid!

Yeah I'm watching the AHL season over during this little pandemic and he's consistently one of the better players showing up every night. When he's given time and space he can really create but in the NHL there's just such a limited amount of it that I think he'd need to play with some really good playmakers to shine a bit more. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 1:33 PM, stawns said:

well ferland is a consistent 15-20 goal guy and a proven playoff guy, it'd be tough to leave him out of the mix.

Guy has to get into shape.  Hasn't played a real game in like something six months.  Remember Mats Sundin sucking up all the oxygen going back to the bench?:P  Will know how far off he is once these 'play in' games start.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guy has to get into shape.  Hasn't played a real game in like something six months.  Remember Mats Sundin sucking up all the oxygen going back to the bench?:P  Will know how far off he is once these 'play in' games start.

But no one has played a game in over 3 months, it's an even playing field at this point

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Wilds just before the season pause, were playing more of a balanced line and had good run late. An effective strategy for Vancouver would be to counter each line employing the same balanced line up. My line up would be:

Zack Parise(Rating:76.3)  – Joel Eriksson Ek(Rating: 71.6) – Luke Kunin(Rating: 72.5)

Ryan Sutter(Rating:76.3) – Jared Spureon(Rating:76.1)

VS

Jake Virtanen(Rating: 72.0)  - Elias Pettersson(Rating: 77.7) – J.T Miller(Rating:78.5)

Chris Tanev(71.0)  - Tyler Myers(Rating:72.6)

Marcus Foligno(Rating:71.7) – Alex Galchenyuk(Rating:70.8) – Mats Zuccarello(Rating:71.8)

Jonas Brodin(Rating:73.7) – Mathew Dumba(Rating:74.5)

VS

Michael Ferland(Rating:71.7) – Bo Horvat(Rating:74.8) – Brock Boeser(Rating: 74.1)

AlexanderEdler(Rating:74.2) – Quinn Hughes(Ratin:75.2)

Jordan Greenway(Ratin:71.2) – Eric Staal(Rating:74.2) – Kevin Fiala(Rating:78.3)

Ryan Sutter(Rating:76.3) – Jared Spureon(Rating:76.1)

VS

Tyler Motte(Rating:68.8) – Jay Beagle – Brandon Sutter(Rating:70.1)

AlexanderEdler(Rating:74.2) – Chris Tanev(71.0)

Ryan Donato(Rating:72.1) – Mikko Koivu(Rating:71.8) – Ryan Hartman(Rating:71.2)

Brad Hunt(Rating:73.7) – Greg Pateryn(Rating:70.5)

VS

Tanner Pearson(Rating:73.7) – Adam Gaudette(Rating:70.2) – Tyler Toffoli(Rating:75.9)

Jordi Benn  - Troy Stecher(Rating:71.9)

On 6/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, stawns said:

well ferland is a consistent 15-20 goal guy and a proven playoff guy, it'd be tough to leave him out of the mix.

Other than his first round physical dominance vs our charmin-soft 2015 team, Ferland has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs. Here's hoping that that changes in his stint with us, but it's not looking very good so far. Let's see if he even suits up and gets past his first shift.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:56 AM, Lackhalak said:

F

(Leivo)

D

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Stetcher

Juolevi - Myers

Benn - Rafferty

Fantenberg - Chatfield

Sautner - 

Briesbois - 

G

Markstrom

Demko

Domingue

Dipietro

This is what i believe the depth chart should be going into the playoffs. I think Juolevi is arguably the 3rd best LD on the team (regular team and black aces)

I do think OJ  is the 3rd best ld option.

Though Fantenberg brings more grit and has more experience in the NHL, OJ never playing in the NHL and suddenly being thrown to the wilds bigger forwards in the play-ins would be a clutterbuck:bigblush:

Macewan with his big body and knowing how *to use it on 4th rw over Sutter. 

Keep Sutter healthy in case Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Beagle miss time.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Sutter, Motte, Leivo.

FWIW

Leivo was brought in to be  2/3 Winger.

Who does Leivo push out of the top 6?

Unfortunately for Josh, no one.

Is he better than Virtanen? Jake over Josh 

Is he better at 3c than Gaudette? Adam over Josh

Is Leivo a better 3LW than a healthy Ferland?

Michael over Josh 

Does Leivo bring more to the 4th line right or left wings than Rooster or Big Mac?

Leivo will be a black ace along with Sutter,Motte,Baertschi,Eriksson,Graovac etc

I'm quite curious as to who the Canucks can bring in for D depth? 

Any Comets? College or Euro leagues making the jump?

Edited by GhostsOf1994
How*
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

[...]

I'm quite curious as to who the Canucks can bring in for D depth? 

Any Comets? College or Euro leagues making the jump?

When Benning acquired Sutter he said he's someone you win with in the playoffs.  Very much doubt Green would scratch him over less experienced players like MacEwen, Gaudette.

Canucks invited the following players to camp in addition to the players already on the roster.  Still unclear how many players teams will be allowed to bring into the bubble.  Initially they were talking of 28 skaters + unlimited number of goalies.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/15/2020 at 6:33 PM, lmm said:

It is impropper to objectify players and their families.

so, not aloud to say, "I think Kesler is haut"

not aloud to say, "Do you think Petey's mother is Haut?"

Not aloud to say, " Tanners wife is a mutt", thats why Leipsic is not aloud on this board, or even in the league.

It does not matter whether its true or not, it is verboten to objectify players or their family.

Do I even need to continue ?

Probably, because I can hear your excuses as to why, "This is different"

You seem to think that because you are fans, that gives you the right to assess the value of a deceased family member to he benefit of your favorite team.

You don't.

It does not matter if you think they are "warriors" or if you RIPed in another thread

doesn't matter whether you are a fan, or a season ticket holder, you do not have the right to put value on players family.

This makes no sense at all.

I guess the Masterton trophy is objectifying a player's struggles too then. They give them a freaking trophy, which in your view is assessing a value.

Lmm, leave the SJW for other people. This doesn't suit you.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This makes no sense at all.

I guess the Masterton trophy is objectifying a player's struggles too then. They give them a freaking trophy, which in your view is assessing a value.

Lmm, leave the SJW for other people. This doesn't suit you.

Hey Dazz, you are a little late to the party. Shayster and I have decided to give this topic a rest.

Fell free to continue on your own

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, Lackhalak said:

F

(Leivo)

D

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Stetcher

Juolevi - Myers

Benn - Rafferty

Fantenberg - Chatfield

Sautner - 

Briesbois - 

G

Markstrom

Demko

Domingue

Dipietro

OJ should be Edlers replacement- that’s what all Canuck fans are hoping for.   That said he really isn’t even close to the top four (yet), probably five.  Brisbois is more seasoned and has a better playoff game.   Fatenburgers and Benn are for sure way above him at this point too.   Just because he’s supposed to be doesn’t mean he actually is.  Even this year Rafferty came in and stole some of his thunder (this was supposed to be the year OJ finally got games - but he did not).     I’m on the fence right now with OJ and I’ve supported him along the way ... even though I hated the pick right from the starts..how many goals did MT score in the playoffs again? MT wasn’t even supposed to be available but he was.... OJ just as likely to be this teams version of Corrado  or whomever as his is to ever manage a bottom pairing spot.    Defenseman don’t break out as early and his first two seasons let’s say are a wash.   That means next season it’s do or die ... and as far as I’m concerned at this point it’s a coin toss.  Hope your right ... our team needs him to do it and he’s been given all the privileges of getting picked so high included tons of PP time (where as Brisbois has had to claw and nail every inch he can get).    Yet Rafferty comes in from college and one ups him.   As has  Brisbois for the most part since he’s arrived.    One more season tops and we will know what side of the fence OJ falls onto.  Already he’s considered a top 25 draft bust the past 20 years .... some portions of the fan base (including me actually) just won’t give up despite the evidence piling up he might never make it pass a few tryouts ...tryouts were supposed to be this year but never happened..

Last part of the L side should be at this point after this years play with the new guys :

Fattenberg 

Benn

Brisbois

OJ/Sautner interchangeable 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1