The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Glass half full - Canucks win or lose

Rate this topic

grandmaster

Just now, Fanuck said:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a win/win but it wouldn't hurt as much not qualifying knowing there's at least a shot at the lottery pick.  That said, it would still be bittersweet. 

These unusual circumstances remove the sting. That’s all I’m saying. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would like to begin by saying that the objective of a team is to win games, make the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup. I hate those that feel teams should purposely tank for better picks and prospects. 

I want the Canucks to make these playoffs and fight their way through it all.

I also want to say that, should we lose to the Wild, we have some positives and should not be too upset.

We will get a 12.5% chance of obtaining a generational talent. He will by all accounts be NHL ready for next season and will undoubtedly be in our top 6. This can allow some flexibility to trade one of our top 6 players for a top 4 defenceman or assist in that all too talked about cap space.

We will then give up that Miller trade 1st pick the following year when the Canucks ought to be better, therefore not losing out on a higher level prospect (because we will logically finish higher in the standings).

I am well aware that our draft lottery has never been fruitful but you never know. 

If we qualify, are our chances of winning the Cup that much lower (given that we're fairly healthy)?  I'll trade the next FIFTY first round picks for a Cup win.:P  

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If we qualify, are our chances of winning the Cup that much lower (given that we're fairly healthy)?  I'll trade the next FIFTY first round picks for a Cup win.:P  

The chances of winning a cup are significantly lower. I'd prefer a cup obviously but let's not get carried away.

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The chances of winning a cup are significantly lower. I'd prefer a cup obviously but let's not get carried away.

12.5% chance of getting him ain't that great either.  Less than the number you want to show up throwing a six-sided die.  Make the chances a fair bit higher; and I'll have to sweat on my answer.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah  -  that's an 87.5% chance one of 7 other losing teams win the lottery.  Not good odds for us at all. 

Totally....and we have a mathematical chance of 93.7% of not winning a cup.

Like I say I want a cup but let's not get carried away. We aren't favorites.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah  -  that's an 87.5% chance one of 7 other losing teams win the lottery.  Not good odds for us at all. 

Heck I think the odds were around that for a team winning the Cup after going ahead 2-0 in the Finals.  We all know how that story ended.:(:(:(

• Cheers 1

Tough to gauge what to want for this year.  As much as it's a deep draft and there's a chance we end up with #1, I can't say I'm certain about how deep this draft actually is and whether there would be impact pieces available if we don't get that top pick (e.g. we'd probably luck out if we found another Boeser-level prospect in the mid-10's to 20's if we advance in the PO's, esp. with Brackett now gone).

Definitely glass half full for current player development through the playoff grind, half full (full-full if we get #1), but if it's a mid-late 1st and BPA isn't that good I wonder if entertaining the option of flipping the pick to move Loui should be considered (that'd be a half-full for me).

I have to be honest. I disagree with this concept.  
First, the word generational to describe the first overall is frustrating to me. A generation is not a year...Is Crosby generational?  How about McDavid, McKinnon, Ovechkin, Kane. I’ve heard guys like Mathews, Pettersson and hell even Nail Yakupov was supposed to be generational. Maybe Laf is that good, but more likely just a very good player. Winning breeds winners, losers breed losing. 

As far as the draft pick goes, the plan all year was to make the playoffs, get some experience and give our first round pick away. I am truly afraid to see what could happen if next years draft pick is up for grabs with no lotto protection. 
We will not win the #1 pick. The lottery is held behind closed doors for a reason. Vancouver has never gotten a break like that and my guess is we never will. Look at our best players of all time. The Sedins took a whirlwind of trades to grab, other than that it’s a collection of good drafting (Linden, Bo, Petterson and Hughes) players hitting their stride here instead of elsewhere (think Bertuzzi) and not dumb luck like Edmonton. Give this years pick away, make it as bad a pick as we can get and roll into next season ready to WIN. A loss is always a loss and looking to the consolation prize should be reserved for the Leafs and Oilers fans who might actually win it. 

If the nux lose to Minny ya there's a 12.5% chance at first overall.  That's very low odds.

The issue is where would the nux pick if they don't win the lottery?  I think it is likely somewhere around 12.  So who does that bring?  Is that pick possibly someone as good as Podkolzin or is it a McCann type?  Hard to know.

But when making a glass is half full thread I would suggest that this is what is in the glass - not Lafreniere.

The chances of us winning the lottery is basically zero.  I think we’ve been through this scenario many times before and come away very disappointed every time.  Luckily for us Benning is a draft guru and was able to snatch 2 franchise players including yours truly outside of the top 4. 

I’d rather we go all out and try and win a few rounds. If we lose to Minnesota then most likely we will have a pick outside of the top 10.  

• Upvote 1

I hope we beat Minny and go deep. I also think the term generational talent is thrown around way too much. There can’t be one every draft. In my opinion there’s been probably six the last 50 years. Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, and maybe Mcdavid. Anyways, go Nucks! Can’t wait for Sunday night. 

• Vintage 1

I’m onboard with this line of thinking. 
12,5% chance of 1st OA is hopefully a lot better than the odds we’ll get next season....

So sit back and enjoy the hockey. The team is young and evolving. Is it the finished article? Nope, not at all. 
Another couple of seasons before our window really starts to open, and we can make a proper push for the cup. 

( the time all the big contracts people are bitching about disappears)...

Until then its about trying to get the youngsters a taste of play off hockey. 

Bring it on and lets see, what happens. 
win/win

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

If the nux lose to Minny ya there's a 12.5% chance at first overall.  That's very low odds.

The issue is where would the nux pick if they don't win the lottery?  I think it is likely somewhere around 12.  So who does that bring?  Is that pick possibly someone as good as Podkolzin or is it a McCann type?  Hard to know.

But when making a glass is half full thread I would suggest that this is what is in the glass - not Lafreniere.

Ya, I think that I'd rather have a single malt in my half full glass than lite beer.  :lol:

• Like 1