The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I would add: consider taking 2 D out or one at least and putting in Juolevi or Rafferty or both.  Edler and Myers were awful, sit them. (They took critical penalties and generally were walked all over by forecheckers.) With Virt and Mac in, together with quicker, new D: we should do better at breaking through the Minnesota's system of filling up the middle of the ice.

In the long run: the rebuild is not even close to being over, someone has to tell Benning this. It was add-on vet players and our own vets like Edler that killed us. Would have been better off saving the money and playing Rafferty, Juolevi, and Big Mac.

We don't win without Myers/Edler. D was far from the issue last night. They gave up 2 goals, one of which was more on Marky. After the 1st ten minutes both teams played tight playoff hockey.

Throwing out two rookie D would be like being thrown into a pit of starving wolves. We'd guaranteed lose in 3 at that point. Not only that but it would destroy OJ/Raff's confidence. I would want Green fired immediately if he did that.

The actual problem and reason we lost is that our forwards didn't go to the hard areas as much as the Wild. You cause chaos you create pressure which leads to PPs, goals and opens up the ice for guys like Petey/Hughes. That's why I was advocating Mac/Virtanen inserted and stating that there's needs to be a serious emphasis on playing below the hash marks.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VaNux said:

Personally, I think this is more of a knee jerk, o e extreme to another lineup suggestion 

Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Even keel, and make changes on purpose for a purpose. 

I do think having more purpose driven lines, with like players together would make sense. As an example Motte and beags have been a spark plug line when rous joined them, but had their energy sapped with Sutter there. This is what I think would be the best lineup for next game 

Miller - petey - boes 

Pears - bo - toffoli 

Ferk - gaud - virt 

Rous - beag - Motte 

First line hi Rev, second and third take it to the net and overwhelm, 4th spark plug 

Imo 

That third line looks good and should do much more than yesterday.

Rous didn't do much yesterday and Sutter provides defensive presence. I'd say Roussel comes out and the 4th line is kept intact.

Pretty clinical game by the Wild. Canucks couldn't muster anything offensively. 

Toffoli and Pearson were looking slow and rusty. 

Boeser's increased speed is very noticeable but had trouble handling the puck. 

Miller and Petterson had a couple ok plays but were otherwise shut down. 

Horvat had nothing. 

4th line did nothing. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

That third line looks good and should do much more than yesterday.

Rous didn't do much yesterday and Sutter provides defensive presence. I'd say Roussel comes out and the 4th line is kept intact.

I totally hear what people are saying with rous yesterday. 

My opinion is that Sutters style of play changed the dynamic of that line. Not that he was bad or anything, I just noticed s few times things were starting to Rev up a bit and he slowed it down. 

Wild pressure all over the ice no space. 
playing with speed and structure.

Our veteran d Were exposed as slow And even slower with the puck.

there didn’t appear to be any structure in  Any aspect of the canucks game.

no real break out no net  front presence No d zone coverage. 
Once again Playing from the Perimeter leads to another easy shutout against. 
the d zone is just a comedy of errors.

i guess we’ll see but it sure didn’t look like Green and the coaching staff a

had any Effective answers to the wilds game. 

(the one) pp And pk looked equally ineffective. 
Overall I’d say they Nucks were a disappointment.

que the excuses. Refs youth 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm curious if Bo could be that center who could re-create some semblance of That 70's Line, which was known for effective puck retrieval and second chance attempts

A lot of people have wondered that, but Green doesn't seem to want to try it. I think Carter in his day had a better shot than Bo but, points-wise they are about the same as Carters time in LA. 

It might have more to do with having a Petey line he prefers more, so he keeps TT up there. 

I wouldn't mind seeing this next game tho: 

Miller-Petey-Jake

Pearson-Bo-TT 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, rotiman187 said:

Lol at people blaming markstrom. How do you expect to win the game when you cant even score a goal. 

Marky played more than well enough to win. 2GA should be just fine, none 5 on 5. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

A total of six power plays each handed out to Jets and Flames today. If we get into that kind of reffing, the series is ours.

The Wild went 2/4 in game one. I’m not so sure you want to get into a game where each time is getting a ton of power plays. 

• Huggy Bear 1

i am a fan of green, but really think we need a more experienced coach to lead us to victory, green can be a assistant and learn off of the experience coach whos been threw it all and won a cup .

i feel that would benefit green most than throwing him into the wolves with the rest of our inexperienced YOUNG players

1 hour ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Exactly. I'd love to see Dumba or Staal cross check Petey and shove him into the ground over and over with Ferland there.

Great way to get your face pounded in. 

Green wants a tough team but puts them all on one line so that line is ineffective and gets penalty after penalty. 

He wants the good players to get to the net but won't arm them with the weapons to get there. 

Staal plays with Greenway.  Before the break Getzlaf went to fight him and ended up on the ice.  Greenway did not have a hit last night per the game stats.  He is a beast when he plays physical but does not do it consistently - not sure they should poke the bear if he's playing tame.

The Wild lines under Evason are very balanced - defensive forward, size and scoring on all lines.  Evason says he doesn't really worry about line matchups, for him it's more important to get their D-pairings against who they want.

The Wild lines/pairings are the same as at the end of the regular season.  Green had ample time to game plan. Will be interesting to see if he adjusts or just considers this game a warmup game.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Staal plays with Greenway.  Before the break Getzlaf went to fight him and ended up on the ice.  Greenway did not have a hit last night per the game stats.  He is a beast when he plays physical but does not do it consistently - not sure they should poke the bear if he's playing tame.

The Wild lines under Evason are very balanced - defensive forward, size and scoring on all lines.  Evason says he doesn't really worry about line matchups, for him it's more important to get their D-pairings against who they want.

The Wild lines/pairings are the same as at the end of the regular season.  Green had ample time to game plan. Will be interesting to see if he adjusts or just considers this game a warmup game.

I read that and it only confirms what my proposition was. 

Greenway is doing what we need for Petey.