The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 06, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Its been 6 years already. At some point you need to see what the next guy up can do like Lind, Zack, Pods, Hogs etc. Honestly, if Jake wasn't a BC boy, the fans wouldn't as patient as they are. Ironic, a lot of people have all the patience in the world for Jake and yet a few weeks ago, people were all ready to drive Boeser out of town hahahah

To be fair, I think he has shown he can be a gamer in the regular season this year. I think he's progressing and I projected him into a bigger role next year. I was simply commenting his game in the playoffs thus far. People seem to believe he has made a major impact so far and I simply disagree. I think the deeper we go here, he will step up soon and might even dominate a series (get in the head of one of the star opponents and put up some offense), but he hasn't done that yet. He's just quietly done his assignment that Green has set out for him.

I also don't think people were ready to drive Boeser out of town (although there may have been a poster or two), but I think people accepted the consideration of planning process that may have included moving him to bolster other areas of the lineup while supposedly replacing his role by re-signing Toffoli. Boeser has upped his game in the playoffs and is showing that he's a keeper though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Unless he plays a lot of games next year, but most likely he doesn't, Lind won't need to be protected. McEwen (assuming he gets a full time role as per Benning) probably will.

Lind will be eligible to be picked. I also think it's going to MacEwen considering his size, but Motte does play an important role and really seems to boost the team. When he was out injured, our team seemed to be missing something and we didn't really have a replacement. He's simply a player I would hate to play against. I almost feel more comfortable losing Demko.

Canucks get the first goal and it puts Minny back on their heals. You have to play a different game when you are down. It took some of the physical pressure off the Canucks and allowed the Canucks to play more conservative. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks get the first goal and it puts Minny back on their heals. You have to play a different game when you are down. It took some of the physical pressure off the Canucks and allowed the Canucks to play more conservative. 

So far, the team who has scored first, has won the game.  

Another factor is nerves.  I think the Canucks were nervous in the first game and had poor flow.  Passes weren't connecting etc. and their play in the offensive one was very much on the perimeter.  Now that they seem to have settled out, things may be different.  

Game 2 saw a very early goal, then the Wild tied it up near the end of the first period and the Canucks went ahead for good early in the 2nd.  The difficulty for the Canucks came at the end of the game as they were trying to preserve the lead.

There were no goals until the 2nd half of the 2nd period in Game 3.  The difference was that the Canucks didn't let up at the end of the game.

All games have had lots of penalties and so far the PK has been very good.  I think it's going to take discipline in Game 4 to assure the Wild doesn't score on the PP.  The difference over all as I see it is offense and goal tending.  The Canucks also need to continue getting to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone.

• Cheers 1

Note to everyone....two goals were scored off the rush last game....to beat the tight box, you have to beat them off the rush.

if they set up the rush more often than not....the Canucks will win.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you and I may be in the minority here. I love the physical play from Myers, but IMO he's taking it too far and taking a ton of penalties. If he could just push it a little less and not take the penalties, we'd be much better off. We can't count on our PK being 7 for 7 against better teams. I doubt we'd fair as well against St. Louis or Colorado with the same number of penalty kills.

If you really want to see a kinder gentler Myers in the playoffs, yes I am pretty sure you are in the minority. He is playing solid playoff hockey, and the type of penalties he is taking, for strong physical play, teams almost always kill off. 

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

The "rush" depends primarily on your opponent jumping their D into your zone. If the Canucks open the scoring it opens up the Wild for a "rush" The Boeser goal was all important and having Boeser taken away from the wall and making him the replacement for Tofolli as a net presence was a good move IMO. Boeser had been playing the half wall prior.

So are we still firing Travis because his 'systems' suck and he has no ability to react and adapt to opposition coaching?

Like I said after game one, the players need to execute and pay the price to get to the front of the net. Since they started doing that, we won the last 2 games.

FIRE GREEN! :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

Most of the beef with TG for me is his lineup decisions in game 1. How he decided M.Ferland, who was coming back from a long layoff and concussion history Was a better option than Jake is mind boggling. Michael Ferland had no real impact in game 1 and after a fight where he was getting rag dolled no one thought to be cautious and sit him out in game 2. He was plugged back in and was immediately feeling the ill effects of the last game. now he is out indefinitely.  what grinds peoples gears Is that the best lineup to win game 1 was not the one green iced. What grinds peoples gears is that Green makes these questionable decisions in the wake of all the facts available to him. 

but admittedly the boys play hard for him which is all that matters 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

10 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Most of the beef with TG for me is his lineup decisions in game 1. How he decided M.Ferland, who was coming back from a long layoff and concussion history Was a better option than Jake is mind boggling. Michael Ferland had no real impact in game 1 and after a fight where he was getting rag dolled no one thought to be cautious and sit him out in game 2. He was plugged back in and was immediately feeling the ill effects of the last game. now he is out indefinitely.  what grinds peoples gears Is that the best lineup to win game 1 was not the one green iced. What grinds peoples gears is that Green makes these questionable decisions in the wake of all the facts available to him. 

but admittedly the boys play hard for him which is all that matters 

Yup...the hockey gods have now made it easy for him.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

So are we still firing Travis because his 'systems' suck and he has no ability to react and adapt to opposition coaching?

Like I said after game one, the players need to execute and pay the price to get to the front of the net. Since they started doing that, we won the last 2 games.

FIRE GREEN! :rolleyes:

I still maintain we need better assistants. Said it at the end of last season, the biggest gift JB can give Green is to fire the two assistant coaches on the bench. 

• Thanks 1

I don't mind Myers' play at all, he has bite and we need him to play with an edge. He's being penalized for being too big. Same thing Chara deals with except we can all agree any team would be lucky to have Chara. Sure he's better defensively but Myers is a 2way guy. Keep it up Mysey, make their players pay the price for going to the front of the net. #Beast

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I still maintain we need better assistants. Said it at the end of last season, the biggest gift JB can give Green is to fire the two assistant coaches on the bench. 

Agreed. Im a big proponent of firing Baumgartner

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The core will be protected. On the bubble are Motte, Lind and MacEwen IMO for the last spot (if we go with 7 forwards and don't make any moves). I agree that it's unlikely that we protect him, but he's certainly in the conversation. He's just not someone I'd like to play against.

I should add that Hoglander and Podkolzin don't really replace what Motte does. They would potentially push Lind on the block though.

Podz game is all possession.  Out of anyone his draft year he was the very best about getting the puck back.   He’s a possesion machine not unlike Peter Forsberg without the tools (yet) to be a difference maker in the offensive zone.   His floor is higher then Mottes ceiling which is nice.   Lind is a wild card - next season I’m sure the team will check him out in the NHL before making their final decisions ...

We aren't as tough as the Wild but we've done a great job pushing back against this wannabe bully, with Meyers doing what he has to do to lead the way.  Reffing was fair in our wins. That's the way it goes. Game 1 was San Jose revisited. 

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I invite you to elaborate as well.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. Virtanen simply hasn't been that player yet. He will be. He simply needed to be reined in for whatever reason and he's played disciplined hockey in his limited minutes, but I don't see what others are seeing in him being a major reason for our success that last two games (just because he's in the lineup?). He's thrown 3 hits in 2 games, whereas the guy that IMO beat him out was Ferland who had 5 hits in 2 games.  If Jake was everything you're saying, you'd think he'd be playing more than his average of 9 minutes per game with 2.5 of that on the PP.

I agree that Gaudette didn't look great in game 1, but most of the team didn't. Gaudette may have only been taken out due to a minor knock and if he got a second chance like most of the team did to bounce back, he may have a better performance like everyone else. I'm not worried about Gaudette handling the physicality as he's never been afraid of going to the boards. People would've complained as well if Gaudette was sat instead as well. That's the beauty of having an abundance of good depth. You're going to be sitting out someone good no matter what decision is made.

At the end of the day, the difference didn't come down to Jake or Gaud. It may have been playoff jitters with 8 players playing in their first playoff games (including Marky, who has much improved with one of the best sv% after a rocky start). The PK is much improved, possibly stabilized with the return of a regular in LE. The team overall is buying into Green's system and has improved in each of these three games as a whole.

I think you re missing the big picture and the idea of playing as a "Team". We aren't getting pushed around and we are carrying the play. Why? because of players such as Jake, Meyers, Motte, Bo etc. 

Without them, we get knocked off the puck and the play gets dictated to us. 

The regular season is a little more forgiving and the playoffs, not so much. Smaller, skilled players have less time and space and the bigger players who can score those garbage goals are more valuable. 

We all seen what happens when these players are not present in 2011. I don't want to see a repeat of that. 

Jake has shown he can produce more when given the opportunity. This coach believes otherwise and so he is relegated to sitting on the bench or playing on the 3rd or 4th lines.

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Its been 6 years already. At some point you need to see what the next guy up can do like Lind, Zack, Pods, Hogs etc. Honestly, if Jake wasn't a BC boy, the fans wouldn't as patient as they are. Ironic, a lot of people have all the patience in the world for Jake and yet a few weeks ago, people were all ready to drive Boeser out of town hahahah

I think it's because of the Cam Neely effect for many. Even if it was 20yrs or so ago.