The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson was the Canucks’ least engaged and productive forward of the 2020 playoffs. He’s signed for another two seasons - @CambieKev

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

Man... who cares? So sick of people talking about Eriksson... big whoop one guy on the team didn't play well enough and got scratched.

We had such a magical run this off season. Why can't this Cambie Kev write about some of the good stories that came from this epic run which we beat the Cup Champs during...

Did Eriksson kick someones dog? He wasn't that bad when he played, our team is just too deep. If he accepts a trade to a cap floor team like Ottawa he'll have a better fit as a full time 3rd or 4th defensive forward and PKer

• Cheers 2

LE's playoff performance is not the issue/problem.

Did he produce anything?

No - not even an empty net goal.

In spite of LE - the team advanced through the two rounds he played, however.

He played one game in the Vegas series.

If there is cause for concern - if there is some point to spend your analysis on -  it's why the team lost to Vegas.

My take on that would start with Miller injured and on the wing, move to Sutter likewise and on the wing, look at their realistic chances vs Vegas with rookie and sophomore centers, one needing sheltering, in the 3rd round of the playoffs, vs a very good, deep, veteran opponent, and then combine those effects with playing as many games as they did in short order, having a top 4 D playing with one wing, your MVP getting injured, etc.

Quite the yawn-fest to dwell on L fn E, wadr.  LE only touched playoff ice because Ferland, Leivo, Toffoli... couldn't.

Now - it's the offseason - now is the time to whinge about LE.  It's all about his contract moving forward, not his stellar two way play and pk in the playinz. 

Yes, he needs to go/terminate.  Are other teams likely to see any value in him, even at 2.5 for 6 x 2?  I'm doubtful.   I think it's riding busses or the integral acknowledgement - 'yeah, I've made 7.75 per the past 4 years, and I'm a 15th/16th forward on my team'.  Hang em' up.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

On 9/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

We all know that Eriksson is a zero offensively these days.   

Ignoring his cap however, he is still an excellent defensive player and very rarely makes mistakes.

He’s obviously not worth his cap hit but he’s also a lot more useful than you think.   

Anyways, we’re unlikely to get rid of him this off season and so there’s no point complaining about the guy.

He's a decent option as a 4LW with PK duties playing 10 mins a game at 1 mil cap hit. However, I'd still rather play Motte.

On 9/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, 24K PureCool said:

In other news, water is wet.

Actually sir, by definition water is NOT wet!!!!

it is simply a liquid.  Once an object is placed in water, that said object then becomes wet! Until then, water is just a liquid.    

karen out......

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, apollo said:

Man... who cares? So sick of people talking about Eriksson... big whoop one guy on the team didn't play well enough and got scratched.

We had such a magical run this off season. Why can't this Cambie Kev write about some of the good stories that came from this epic run which we beat the Cup Champs during...

Did Eriksson kick someones dog? He wasn't that bad when he played, our team is just too deep. If he accepts a trade to a cap floor team like Ottawa he'll have a better fit as a full time 3rd or 4th defensive forward and PKer

I am coming around to the thought that the Canucks find one of those teams which are currently below the cap floor and buy some of their available space. It will be costly, but an extra $6 million in cap space will feel real good to have. I'm even good with a 1st going with Eriksson to some destination. Maybe even send an additional  undesirable contract and an extra asset (or two) for even greater savings.

regards,  G.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, Dazzle said:

He obviously wasn't a good fit from the very beginning. This signing is on Benning - and all the fans including myself who thought signing Eriksson would rejuvenate the Sedins.

Well put. And it is useful to remember how we felt about it at the time (before he played a game.)

I'm still not sure why he didn't work out with the twins: those two could improve the play of anyone.  A hint I guess.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, apollo said:

Eriksson doesn't belong anywhere near the 3rd line at this point in his career.  Even on a lottery pick team.  And that isn't us (and Green put him in the top six for shifts in the post-season).

On 9/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Who knew the decline would be so drastic?

Happens to all athletes eventually unfortunately.  Hansen was another example.  Good thing Benning was able to sense that & dealt him for SOMETHING.  A shame for Hansen though (played very solid for us in general; amazing for such a late round pick).

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Wrong, it was Jake Virtanen. Guy is the worst at everything. Eriksson is at least a shutdown defensive forward. He has value. Or at least that's my understanding from people on CDC and Twitter.

I know, right? Guy hasn't hit a single homer or run in even one field goal all season.....

regards,  G.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:27 AM, DarkIndianRises said:

We all know that Eriksson is a zero offensively these days.   

Ignoring his cap however, he is still an excellent defensive player and very rarely makes mistakes.

He’s obviously not worth his cap hit but he’s also a lot more useful than you think.   

Anyways, we’re unlikely to get rid of him this off season and so there’s no point complaining about the guy.

Hockey is more complicated than just offense and defense though. Eriksson is responsible defensively, but the fact that he needs to play defense all the time as a result of being unable to generate any zone exits or zone entries consistently, makes him more likely to give up goals than poor defenders who can avoid playing in the d-zone.

• Cheers 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, gameburn said:

Well put. And it is useful to remember how we felt about it at the time (before he played a game.)

I'm still not sure why he didn't work out with the twins: those two could improve the play of anyone.  A hint I guess.

Sedins worked well with guys with limited skill but who were at least putting in a decent effort and going to the dirty areas.  They couldn't perform miracles with a lazy floater who refuses to at least attempt to play like an NHLer.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Sedins worked well with guys with limited skill but who were at least putting in a decent effort and going to the dirty areas.  They couldn't perform miracles with a lazy floater who refuses to at least attempt to play like an NHLer.

His lack of effort in this last playoff run was hard to watch. He has the brains for the game, but not the will or energy.  And he's too old now too, which just makes the whole thing ridiculous.  I almost cannot remember what he played like when he first got here, but a couple of the commentators (not play by play guys) suggested that as much as 2 years ago LE could play a whole game and not work up a sweat.

I think he will be in Utica when the season starts; don't see what other choice the team has.  Give up a draft pick and throw in Virtanen to move him somewhere? Lol, there would be such a fan revolt.

• Cheers 1

Just now, gameburn said:

His lack of effort in this last playoff run was hard to watch. He has the brains for the game, but not the will or energy.  And he's too old now too, which just makes the whole thing ridiculous.  I almost cannot remember what he played like when he first got here, but a couple of the commentators (not play by play guys) suggested that as much as 2 years ago LE could play a whole game and not work up a sweat.

I think he will be in Utica when the season starts; don't see what other choice the team has.  Give up a draft pick and throw in Virtanen to move him somewhere? Lol, there would be such a fan revolt.

Think it was Biron.  I agree with his assessment.

• Cheers 1