The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Not sure if this has been asked before; but can someone tell me whether or not we really need Burrows?

Depends on your definition of "need".

We don't need him like we need oxygen, but we do need him like I'm going to need a beer after work today....

• Upvote 2

Yeah, not so easy to do with a fractured ankle or a broken jaw. Folks are sure quick to turn on injured players and forget what initiated their struggles. Ironic or predictable that Ballard, Raymond, Edler and Burrows have become the prime whipping boys on these boards over the past five years?

Yeah, a lot of fickle fans on here, recovery from injury takes time. It's good to see a healthy Burrows playing so well so early in the season!

Yeah, a lot of fickle fans on here, recovery from injury takes time. It's good to see a healthy Burrows playing so well so early in the season!

Remember when bieksa had his injuries? People here were constantly calling for his head. Then he shut them up. As will Burr

Do we plan on filling his skates with a magically appearing leprechaun who can kill penalties for us, bring the intangibles and score the 20 or so goals he is bound to get. Until we see someone else step up into a top 6 role then Yes we will need him. Don't write off Burr just yet!

Burr's a warrior for coming back as soon as he could be after the jaw but he couldn't really handle the puck with that display case bolted to his head. He had to tilt his head to the side to look down when the puck was anywhere near his skates.

20 goals is reasonable, especially if he keeps playing with Barbarino.

this thread is still going? wow what an embarrassment.

it has more or less become just a discussion about Burrows. More of a place for adoration than anything.

Was looking at some stats, interestingly enough if Burrows manages to play all 82 games this season he will finish with exactly 700 regular season games with the Canucks (good for franchise 8th overall).

The word "need" of course raises some real issues of semantics. The Canucks will find enough skaters to finish the season whether they have him or not.

The Bad-Burrows isn't in his 20's any more, is in my view unlikely to ever score 20 goals in a season again (perhaps 12-18,) will never be a favourites of the referees and at his age will probably suffer more from injuries then he did a few years ago.

The Good-he defends, hits, contributes to team scoring, works hard, kills penalties, is versatile enough to be fill in almost any situation, and still puts opposing players off their games. I've never been in the Canucks' dressing room but suspect he is a good veteran to have there and that in many ways-work ethic for example-he's a good role model. (Then again, there have been parts of his agitating game that perhaps have been less good as an example for younger players, though he's moved on from much of that.)

I think when reasonably healthy Burrows still makes a valuable contribution.

There's really not much use speculating at this time anyway. The Canucks will be paying him a fair bit over the next three years (though the amounts decrease from year to year,) are unlikely to get value by trading him at present after his tough season in 2013-2014 and certainly are not about to waive a player who can make his contributions. If he's having a decent or good year then it could be more interesting at the trade deadline.

The Bad-Burrows isn't in his 20's any more, is in my view unlikely to ever score 20 goals in a season again (perhaps 12-18,)

I disagree completely. I expect him to get 20 this season, even if he doesn't play much with the Sedins.

Except for last season's aberration, he's been a model of consistency for years. Once he got out of his monumental slump last year, he had 5 goals in 4 games. Does that sound like an indicator of a guy who has lost a big part of his game? Or just someone in a terrible slump who had it in his head, and just needed 1 to get him going?

To me, most certainly the latter, and he's already going this year.

Like Booth it really comes down to the contract. Booth on the third line getting paid 2 million is a great piece to a team (if he is healthy).

The only problem with Burrows is his contract and his term. He gets paid to produce at the price of a top 6 forward for the next 3 years. 4.5 million per year for the next three years is a big chuck of change. Benning mentioned after the Booth buyout that a 4.25 cap hit spending on a 3rd line player is too much and was a big reasoning for the buyout.

I fully expect 2nd line numbers (20g-25a) out of burrows this year. But do I expect him to be able to do the same next year as he’s turning 35? Possibly… But what about his last year at 36? Likely not…I don’t see him being able to remain in this top 6 role while still outplaying the youth that we have coming up through the pipes. It’s really not whether I think Burrows is still good anymore, it’s more about giving that opportunity to the next wave players we have coming up (only if they deserve it).

If the cap rises over the next two years and we have room to spend money on a contract like his, sure, keep him on the team as he’d be a great 3rd liner and a great leader for our youth. But if there is a way to more efficiently spend that money on another teams need. Than we should definitely be exploring that option, especially if we have a young cheaper contract producing similar if not better offensive numbers with in the top 6.

Burrows at 33 may be still a valuable piece to a team looking for a veteran at the trade deadline. I personally hope Burrows plays great this year and ups his value before trade deadline. But at his age his value will only decrease with each year that goes bye. I’d much rather get some sort of return for him, either in part of a package, or a straight up trade rather than have him lost in 3 years for nothing.

We really have to look at where we expect this team to be long term. What is this teams goals? How do we expect to get there. If the plan is in 3 years is to have a 35 year old (getting out performed by 20-23 year old) while costing the team a 4.5 million cap hit, than burrows is the answer. Personally I just don’t see that being the case.

Burrows at 33 may be still a valuable piece to a team looking for a veteran at the trade deadline.

Unless the team looking for such a guy already has him on the roster.

I expect Canucks to be in the playoff mix this year, and Burrows to be a big part of that. But if they falter or come up short, yeah, he will likely be gone at the deadline or offseason (depending on how close they are).