The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Heat Wave?

tapeboy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/vancouver-news/special-weather-statement-issued-for-metro-vancouver-due-to-heat-wave-3891056

"After a relatively cool start to the weekend, temperatures will be on the rise again today. The current guidance indicates that the day time temperatures will peak in the low-thirties through Monday at locations away from the immediate coast," states Environment Canada.

Right now they're predicting a high of 24 C across Vancouver, but that will vary from location to location. Further inland, places like Abbotsford are expected to hit 33 C.

While it's expected to bring the heat, it won't last long.

"The ridge associated with this warm spell will start shifting inland on Tuesday, ushering the hot air into the Interior," states the federal agency.

Forget “hot girl summer” or “hot boy summer.” With a heat wave starting on Father’s Day, 2021 is clearly going to be the year of “hot Dad summer.” :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

Heat warning for Metro Vancouver:

Heat Warning in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley

A dangerous long duration heat wave will affect B.C. beginning on Friday and lasting until Tuesday.

Threat: Daytime highs ranging from 34 to 38 degrees celsius combined with overnight lows of 18 to 20 degrees celsius. Humidex values during this period will reach the high 30's to possibly the low 40's.

Locations: Metro Vancouver NE, Metro Vancouver SE, Fraser Valley.

Timespan: Friday to Tuesday.

Remarks: An exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure will develop over British Columbia likely resulting in record breaking temperatures. The duration of this heat wave is concerning as there is little relief at night with elevated overnight temperatures. This record-breaking heat event will increase the potential for heat-related illnesses.

Drink plenty of water even before you feel thirsty and stay in a cool place.

Check on older family, friends and neighbours. Make sure they are cool and drinking water

Never leave people or pets inside a parked vehicle.

Watch for the symptoms of heat illness: dizziness/fainting; nausea/vomiting; rapid breathing and heartbeat; extreme thirst; decreased urination with unusually dark urine.

Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks in a cool place.

To get more information:
- Check the local news for health and safety updates.
- Check HealthLinkBC online resources about heat-related illness and how to protect yourself at www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/heat-related-illness.
- Call HealthLinkBC at 8-1-1 to ask about heat-related illness.

Environment Canada and local Medical Health Officers expect an increase in health and safety risks from heat and are advising the public to take precautions.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

Heat Warning in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

A dangerous long duration heat wave will affect B.C. beginning on Friday and lasting until Tuesday.

Threat: Daytime highs ranging from 29 to 37 degrees celsius combined with overnight lows of 18 to 20 degrees celsius. Humidex values during this period will reach the high 30's to possibly the low 40's.

Locations: Metro Vancouver - Central, Metro Vancouver SW, Metro Vancouver - North Shore, Greater Victoria, Howe Sound, Whistler, Sunshine Coast, Southern Gulf Islands, East Vancouver Island, Inland Vancouver Island.

Timespan: Friday to Tuesday.

Remarks: An exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure will develop over British Columbia likely resulting in record breaking temperatures. The duration of this heat wave is concerning as there is little relief at night with elevated overnight temperatures. This record-breaking heat event will increase the potential for heat-related illnesses.

Drink plenty of water even before you feel thirsty and stay in a cool place.

Check on older family, friends and neighbours. Make sure they are cool and drinking water

Never leave people or pets inside a parked vehicle.

Watch for the symptoms of heat illness: dizziness/fainting; nausea/vomiting; rapid breathing and heartbeat; extreme thirst; decreased urination with unusually dark urine.

Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks in a cool place.

To get more information:
- Check the local news for health and safety updates.
- Check HealthLinkBC online resources about heat-related illness and how to protect yourself at www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/heat-related-illness.
- Call HealthLinkBC at 8-1-1 to ask about heat-related illness.

Environment Canada and local Medical Health Officers expect an increase in health and safety risks from heat and are advising the public to take precautions.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

45 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Heat warning for Metro Vancouver:

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

25-30 degrees here, and we get a weather alert.  Was it Vegas last week where temps were around 50?  We live in the best spot.  We win.  Vegas can’t win at anything!   :frantic:  

Edited by Alflives

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well you know, we are pansies here - the first appearance of hot muggy air and we start to rot and die.  :lol:

Yep never really hot or cold in Van.

It was 38 yesterday at my place....went running during the workout. So nice couldn't pass it up.

I remember 103 F in Grade 6. 1962. Exciting because there was talk of canceling school. No A/C back in those days. Well that didn’t happen. We finished the school year and weren’t any worse for it. Don’t know what 103 F is in French. Probably around 39 C? 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I remember 103 F in Grade 6. 1962. Exciting because there was talk of canceling school. No A/C back in those days. Well that didn’t happen. We finished the school year and weren’t any worse for it. Don’t know what 103 F is in French. Probably around 39 C? 

Weren't no AC in my high school decades later.  To my knowledge, still isn't.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Apparently, one school district is cancelling classes due to the heat and no A/C.

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I remember some real hot days back then too.  We would fry eggs on the road for fun.  Winters were colder too.  Fraser would freeze over, and the cows would wander out on the ice.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember some real hot days back then too.  We would fry eggs on the road for fun.  Winters were colder too.  Fraser would freeze over, and the cows would wander out on the ice.  

Mmmmmm….road eggs! I remember when it was so cold in the winter here that we could milk a cow and get soft-serve ice cream. But then again my memory ain’t what it used to be.

5dz3cn.gif

• Haha 2

When I lived in Princeton in the 60's and early 70's it would often hit 100+. We had to work in the bush starting at 3am. On the flip side, it hit 52 below and for an entire month never went above 0 degrees F. I hope you all check on folks that are alone, older, just to make sure. This heat is not healthy.

1 minute ago, themcdeal said:

Its supposed to be 49 in Kamloops....this is freaking insane

Are people actually going to the beach in this weather? 

The hottest temp ever recorded in Canada is 45, which is crazy hot.  49 is insane.  That’s like 120 F.