The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Anyone else think part of the reason Benning and Linden make trips to Utica is to make Green feel connected. I think they see they have a possibly outstanding coach and just imagine the dynasty if he takes over from Willie in 5 years and Willie takes JB's seat. (assuming both were ready to move that is)

This could go on for 20 years.

Ahhhh isn't willy older then Benning?

Two completely different jobs

Benning will prob be a GM for another 20 years

Guest Dasein

A lot was made about the fact that Hunter Shinkaruk was a healthy scratch for the game back on March 11 in Chicago.

Since that game the Comets have played 8 games and all have been wins. In those 8 games since being scratched Shink has 6 goals, 1 assist and is a +8.

For comparison purposes in the 8 games prior to being scratched the Comets were 3 W – 5 L and Shink had 1 goal, 0 assists and was a -3.

A better judge of the character of a player is how they handle adversity rather than success. The little nudge of adversity that Travis Green gave Hunter Shinkaruk back on March 11 has shown that he was determined to succeed rather than sulk about being scratched. Good on Hunter for the way he responded.

The Zack Kassian treatment :bigblush:

I think if shink wants to make the team next year he has to take higgins spot from him.

Higgins spot already seems to be taken by Baertschi and Higgins is still on the team.

The Canucks are way too loaded at LW at the moment to even consider Shinkaruk playing even a few games with the big club next year barring catastrophic injuries.

Unless major moves are made Shinkaruk has little chance of playing for the Canucks next year especially out of camp.

I see at least one of Matthias or Richardson walking at season's end, and their spot going to Baertschi.

Hunter will probably be one of our first top-6 call-ups though. And then the following season both Burrows and Higgins are UFA (at least one of them will be let go, probably Burrows will re-sign for less), opening a spot for Shink.

I see at least one of Matthias or Richardson walking at season's end, and their spot going to Baertschi.

Hunter will probably be one of our first top-6 call-ups though. And then the following season both Burrows and Higgins are UFA (at least one of them will be let go, probably Burrows will re-sign for less), opening a spot for Shink.

You sir are right on the money.

When you look at guys like Mantha, they played a season in junior after they were drafted and then went to the AHL. In Hunter's case, he played a couple months, mostly hurt and then came into pro-hockey cold. As a result, he played mainly bottom 6 and didn't look great.

He's now up to speed in the pro game, at full "game fitness" and playing on the top line. This is the kid we drafted.

I think next year in the AHL will be good for both the Canucks and Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk is only now catching up on the development that he missed, so another year and he could potentially be a 30-40 goal scorer in the AHL. Plus, with Daniel, Baertschi and Burrows, there is no way that HS plays the top 6 minutes he needs to thrive.

It really begs the question who will be the 4th line LW.

I assume that Dorsett gets re-signed, and even though both he and Burr can play RW, the left side will still be packed with Danny, Higgins, Baertschi, and Kenins.

I agree that I can't see a spot for Matthias unless we make some major moves. Even then Shinkaruk has almost zero chance to break camp.

If I had to chose between Higgins or Matthias I would take Matthias. Higgins is not a 2LW. Matthias might not be either but he can spot in until a Sven B takes it away. Going into next year Sven B should be the 3LW to ease him into the lineup. Put him in on the top 6 could recreate his Calgary experience. Van fans and media haunts these guys. Darling or dog.

If I had to chose between Higgins or Matthias I would take Matthias. Higgins is not a 2LW. Matthias might not be either but he can spot in until a Sven B takes it away. Going into next year Sven B should be the 3LW to ease him into the lineup. Put him in on the top 6 could recreate his Calgary experience. Van fans and media haunts these guys. Darling or dog.

Matthias plays better at center. I feel the only way he gets re-signed is that he takes a center spot. Plus his agent would probably be fired if he doesn't get him a center spot. The only center spot he would realistically be able to take is 4th line. He has the second most goals on the team. Do you honestly think he will be re-signed to play on this team, keeping those thoughts in mind?

Higgins only has 1 more year on his contract, so he will probably be gone by the trade deadline next season. JB really likes his game, as well as the character and the leadership he brings to the team, so he might re-sign him for a bargain price.

Matthias is playing well; like a guy in his contract year. He will want +++ $ and probably at least a 3yr contract.

higgyfan;

It probably comes down to playoff performance. Matthias is younger and appears to have had a breakout season. His size and speed will make him a hot UFA. I can see a lot of teams wanting him. Higgins has had 2nd line duty all season with Vrbata and been inconsistent.

I think JB goes younger and moves Higgins.

Archived