The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Higgins only has 1 more year on his contract, so he will probably be gone by the trade deadline next season. JB really likes his game, as well as the character and the leadership he brings to the team, so he might re-sign him for a bargain price.

Matthias is playing well; like a guy in his contract year. He will want +++ $ and probably at least a 3yr contract.

Higgins has two years left after this one.

He already is a relative bargain.

higgyfan;

It probably comes down to playoff performance. Matthias is younger and appears to have had a breakout season. His size and speed will make him a hot UFA. I can see a lot of teams wanting him. Higgins has had 2nd line duty all season with Vrbata and been inconsistent.

I think JB goes younger and moves Higgins.

If Matty wants more than Higgy's 2.5 then I can't see that happening.

I thought Higgins would be gone next year regardless but after hearing JB's take I don't see it happening anymore. I think he wants to keep him at least another year. Maybe he is available at the 2017 deadline.

Higgins is not a 2nd liner, we all know that, but he's an excellent #7/8 F on a good team. I imagine he will be back on LW next year to keep our veteran depth. He does his job just fine.

Higgins spot already seems to be taken by Baertschi and Higgins is still on the team.

The Canucks are way too loaded at LW at the moment to even consider Shinkaruk playing even a few games with the big club next year barring catastrophic injuries.

Unless major moves are made Shinkaruk has little chance of playing for the Canucks next year especially out of camp.

We have a lot of depth at LW.

Danny Higgins, Mathias (really a center), Kenins, Baertsch. Vey plays LW at times, Dorsett and Burrows were both predominantly LW at one stage in their career.s. (edit, Dorsett LW?)

But who, other than Daniel, is playing up to the potential Shinkaruk was drafted to achieve? Maybe / probably Sven but at the AHL level??

My point is > it is just up to Hunter to elevate his training, his play. And we still have plenty of time to give him.

JB pumping Higgins 'tires' is not a big thing. He certainly not going to shot holes in his 'tires'. As Canuck Surfer points out the depth is increasing. Higgins is a great pro but he simply no longer fits into the Canuck time line. If I had to choose which vet I would keep of Higgins or Burrows it is Burrows. I do think at least 2 vet skaters will be gone by next fall.

JB pumping Higgins 'tires' is not a big thing. He certainly not going to shot holes in his 'tires'. As Canuck Surfer points out the depth is increasing. Higgins is a great pro but he simply no longer fits into the Canuck time line. If I had to choose which vet I would keep of Higgins or Burrows it is Burrows. I do think at least 2 vet skaters will be gone by next fall.

At 2m a year more, I don't think Burr should be compared to Higgins (although I'm not advocating Burr being traded either).

The 2nd line went through a massive slump, but are starting to click again. I don't see anyone jumping past Higgins for the 2nd line spot, as of yet; nor does WD, by the looks of it.

Like someone else has said, it will probably come down to playoff performance. Matthias' contract demands and training camp for a couple of prospects will also be important.

Getting back on topic...Baerts makes the team next season by attrition, but I think Shink will have the better career.

No one is mentioning he extended his 6 game point streak(8 points in that spand), looks like he is back.

It's Going to be interesting to see how him, Jensen, Gaunce, and even possibily Virtanen (hit men are going to game 7) produce in the playoffs

re: Higgyfan, Boudrias, Minister, Surfer

For cap reasons, the Canucks need to part company with a player or 2. There's the 3 UFA's: Matthias, Dorsett, Richardson and Sbisa to be signed. If not for the cap, I think that Benning would rather keep them all. Other candidates discussed have been Higgins, Burrows, Kassian, Lack etc (rumours all)

The thought is that one or more of the "other candidates" who are signed and have some term would be moved for draft picks which is an effective way of shedding cap while retaining assets for the future at the same time.

If this route is taken then who fills the vacant spot? Connect the dots from prospects who are ready to step up and we have some answers: Baertschi and Clendening, and Markstrom they are forced to bring up, trade or waive. Kenins, Biega and Corrado also make my list. There may be a 2 or 3 step substitution like Matthias for Higgins, Baertschi for Matthias for example.

Other players like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Pedan, Hutton are another year away imo.

Crabcakes;

IMHO so much of what happens before next October does depend on playoff performances by those you mentioned.

Matthias: is resigned IMO. If he can be coached into a slightly more physical player he will be a solid top 9.

Dorsett: also resigned as he is a heart and sole physical player that team mates feed off. I question how long his career will be with his style of game but another contract is warranted.

Richardson: Have loved this guy from the start. He has been forced into a top 6 role in many games. The strength at center probably sees him move on however. Sedin-Bonino-Horvat-? are your centers. Richardson will cost to much to be a 4C.

Sbisa: made great strides this year. He has assumed a physical role on the back end that Bieksa carried out for years. Maybe not next year but Sbisa will allow Bieksa to be moved eventually, especially with Pedan and Biega in the wings.

Higgins: Has to go IMO. Pretty solid winger on the d-side but not a top 6. Do you drop him to 3LW and bump Matthias? Cannot see that.

Burrows: Most games Burrows still shows why he is a Van favorite. He still wins games and plays a huge 200' game. He might be gone simply for the return he could bring. A very sad day if that happens. He still a big part of the Twin's success. In fact the biggest part IMHO.

Kennins: Will be back with a vengeance I think. He got a little beyond himself and lost some confidence. He appears to have more to offer than a 4LW. Swiss league to NHL in one year is huge mentally.

Bieksa: Like Burrows he is a trade candidate because of his market value. Could be this year or next.

Bottom line is the roster needs more youth and talent in it.

I wasn't trying to offer any answers, just taking a flip side view to the problem that most people seem to be taking.

Trading Higgins (2.5) for picks is most peoples consensus for a move. What does he bring? Great on the boards digging out pucks, good defensively, can play up and down the line up, scores 15 goals, 35-40 points usually.

Who slots in on the 2nd line LW? Matthias or Burrows who's 3rd line spot could be filled by Baertchi? Might work.

Matthias is on my radar too although I don't think many people like that idea. Moving 2 left wingers might be hard on the team but Burrows can play either side. Kenins and Baertchi can slot in on the left as well. Vey can play RW.

Burrows is the 2nd player who plays up and down the line up, so I don't see both Higgins and Burrows moving.

At any rate, this is the Shinkaruk thread. I posted similar content on Offseason [Proposal] in the Armchair GM-ing section for further discussion.

re: Higgyfan, Boudrias, Minister, Surfer

For cap reasons, the Canucks need to part company with a player or 2. There's the 3 UFA's: Matthias, Dorsett, Richardson and Sbisa to be signed. If not for the cap, I think that Benning would rather keep them all. Other candidates discussed have been Higgins, Burrows, Kassian, Lack etc (rumours all)

The thought is that one or more of the "other candidates" who are signed and have some term would be moved for draft picks which is an effective way of shedding cap while retaining assets for the future at the same time.

If this route is taken then who fills the vacant spot? Connect the dots from prospects who are ready to step up and we have some answers: Baertschi and Clendening, and Markstrom they are forced to bring up, trade or waive. Kenins, Biega and Corrado also make my list. There may be a 2 or 3 step substitution like Matthias for Higgins, Baertschi for Matthias for example.

Other players like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Pedan, Hutton are another year away imo.

B)

Shinkaruk (who continues to fly under the radar) will surprise a lot of people in September during the preseason/training camp, again. Even if he isn't one of the top candidates to suit up on our opening night roster, I will eat my shorts if he doesn't at the VERY LEAST fill in for injured players from time to time throughout the season, especially if it's a guy like Daniel or Vrbata that goes down.

Looks to be turning the corner, alright. So maybe wasn't just excuses to say he needed to work out the rust from last year's injury and learn to play the pro game. The added depth and internal competition from the arrival of Conacher and Baertschi has to be a factor, but it doesn't explain why Shinkaruk is recently starting to look a whole lot more like the explosive player he was in junior. He's figuring it out, and that's to his credit, and that of the coaching staff.

Herberts

Shink has really taken a step forward late in the season. I can't wait to see a guy with his swagger and moxy come of age. If they want culture change then Shinkaruk brings that.

I hope you're right about Shink slotting in periodically. It will do him a lot of good. Other guys on the list may be Gaunce, Conacher and Grenier.

Benning is creating a culture of internal competition and Shinkaruk is picking up the gauntlet and will leapfrog Jensen on the depth chart. Let's hope Jensen wakes up too because his development looks like it has stalled.

Herberts

Shink has really taken a step forward late in the season. I can't wait to see a guy with his swagger and moxy come of age. If they want culture change then Shinkaruk brings that.

I hope you're right about Shink slotting in periodically. It will do him a lot of good. Other guys on the list may be Gaunce, Conacher and Grenier.

Benning is creating a culture of internal competition and Shinkaruk is picking up the gauntlet and will leapfrog Jensen on the depth chart. Let's hope Jensen wakes up too because his development looks like it has stalled.

Agreed 100%

Well said.

Archived