The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

I agree that it's not a perfect strategy. But if you draft a kid as skilled as hunter shinkaruk and can't/won't even play him on the 1/2 line of your AHL franchise then... I don't know... then you're really just wasting a year of his development IMO

Guy have to earn their spots, even in the AHL. Don't see how it hurts his development. Shinkaruk needed to learn to play better defensive hockey and to get the most of out short shifts. And he needed to learn to deal with bigger stronger players. You learn those things just as much on the 3rd line as the 2nd line.

Guy have to earn their spots, even in the AHL. Don't see how it hurts his development. Shinkaruk needed to learn to play better defensive hockey and to get the most of out short shifts. And he needed to learn to deal with bigger stronger players. You learn those things just as much on the 3rd line as the 2nd line.

Why do they have to earn their spots over career ahlers?? I can see earning it over other prospects as a depth chart sort of lineup. Would you rather utica win the calder cup or shinkaruk finish 0.80ppg or something? I'd rather our prospects develop with the most TOI rather than win.

Why do they have to earn their spots over career ahlers?? I can see earning it over other prospects as a depth chart sort of lineup. Would you rather utica win the calder cup or shinkaruk finish 0.80ppg or something? I'd rather our prospects develop with the most TOI rather than win.

I think Jim Benning and Trevor Linden beg to differ. Winning environments are very important to development. Thankfully Shink is starting to be ready for the top 6 role we were hoping for.

Should be able to do both to some extent. Green started both Guance and Shink on the bottom 6 and

progressively moved them up through the season. There is something to be said about the jump from juniorto pro. Being cautious about the mental approach is worth it. AHL vets have a lot of mentoring ability and in a good team environment help player development.

When you compare Utica's program with the Chicago Wolves which would you prefer? In the case of the

Wolves it appeared to be all about winning. Would Schroeder have done better in a Utica setting where

4 lines are rolled? Easy to say yes because of their season. My impression of the Wolves was that some prospects were not served well by being sent to the ECHL or by being used to much like Schroeder.

Utica = great learning environment Wolves = wasted opportunity (Schroeder), wasted prospect (Rousell)

Guest Dasein

You never know but I would hope that Baertschi forces Shinkaruk down to the AHL even though he's close

Gaudreau basically leapfrogged Baertschi in Calgary, so Shinkaruk theoretically could do the same if he works hard over the summer and comes in ready to compete for a spot

But I think we are much better off organizationally if Baertschi makes the top 6 next year and that this pushes a very-close Shinkaruk down to the AHL where he can be an injury call up and really round up his development

Or maybe he was exactly where he should have been? Rounding out his game, adapting to the pro game, getting his strength back after missing a year/recovering from surgery.

Then when Green felt he was ready, expanded his role and let him take off like he's been shot out of a cannon. His season stats may not be overly impressive but this could be a brilliant year of development for him.

I agree that it's not a perfect strategy. But if you draft a kid as skilled as hunter shinkaruk and can't/won't even play him on the 1/2 line of your AHL franchise then... I don't know... then you're really just wasting a year of his development IMO

I can't believe people actually think/want him on the NHL roster next year.

The guy has found his confidence, yes, but he has to show that over the course of an entire season. You look at a guy like Jensen, while he had that hot streak at the end of last year we thought he was ready to make the jump; we are too premature to label a player ready based on a few weeks of good hockey.

While on the other side of the spectrum you can't call a player a bust based on 3/4 of a season, you can't deem a player NHL ready based on the other 1/4 of the season.

He needs more seasoning.

I can't believe people actually think/want him on the NHL roster next year.

The guy has found his confidence, yes, but he has to show that over the course of an entire season. You look at a guy like Jensen, while he had that hot streak at the end of last year we thought he was ready to make the jump; we are too premature to label a player ready based on a few weeks of good hockey.

While on the other side of the spectrum you can't call a player a bust based on 3/4 of a season, you can't deem a player NHL ready based on the other 1/4 of the season.

He needs more seasoning.

I think it was one guy who stated that....

I'm pretty sure most of us see Baer keeping Shink in Utica (other than as call up) for at least another year.

i agree that hunter needs another year at the AHL. if he produces what he's producing now, over the course of an entire AHL season. yeah, might be a good time for him to make the jump to the NHL. might be ready at that time.

Baer on the other hand. He'll be with the team, playing top six minutes for the club, simply because of waiver issues. He doesn't make the team. There's no way he won't be picked up on waivers by another NHL club.

The waivers issue alone solves that.

Yes, it does. Without injuries or a fire-sale of veterans, we just don't have places in the lineup for both Baertchi and Shink next year.

Has an assist today, 14 points in his last 15 games. It's safe to say HE'S BACK

And that's great: he's a player whose game is based on confidence even more than most. Let him dominate in the A for another year and we'll have the player we were hoping for.

But I think we are much better off organizationally if Baertschi makes the top 6 next year and that this pushes a very-close Shinkaruk down to the AHL where he can be an injury call up and really round up his development

I second that, we could see a situation similar to Ottawa in mark stone

of course we are having a vet fire sale in summer we can afford to lose players like kenins, corrado, clendenning, baerchi especially when they cost us 2nd rounders i say dorsett, hansen stay, burrows possibly bought out, higgins, hamhuis and bieska traded

sedin sedin kassian

baerchi bonino vrbata

kenins horvat virtanen

dorsett gaunce hansen

1st callups shinkaruk, cassels

edler tanev

sbisa corrado

stanton clendenning

lack

miller

Why trade away your character? Benning wants to start the best line up possible. He is already moving in plenty of rookies due to their waiver situation.

Baertschi, Clendening in.....Horvat and Vey stay as 2nd year players. That really is plenty of youth especially since Kassian is still trying to establish himself as a regular.

Don't forget, Benning wants to make the playoffs EVERY year.

Vey will remain the 13th forward. Kenins is the first forward call up.

Clendening and Stanton will be 7 & 8 D and Corrado will be the first D call up. IMO.

Archived