The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Santorelli out for remainder of the season following shoulder surgery

DanHamhuis

Time to tank this season and get a high of a pick we can at the draft

I just knew that this year wouldn't be so stellar....with all of the players & team support staff transitioning to a new coaching staff,...with Luongo in some ambiguous head-space,..... with the condensed-schedule of an Olympic year hurtin' teams with the greatest frequent-flyer miles,.....introducing a new system to a whole new pack of farm-hands of the newly formed franchise in Utica.... & with this season's ridiculously low-ball cap ham-stringing trading ops all year. I anticipate that next year to be a more of a break-thru season for some of the 'Nucks' up 'n' coming young-stars...& offer some real ops to sign-up a bona fide difference-maker or 2. Maybe we'll even get to see some future aquisitions playing in the Olympics, next month.

Anyways,...my sights are no longer set upon this season....I forsee brighter things beyond 2014.

Here's hoping that Santo makes a full & speedy recovery. After all his success this season...I hope he is motivated to rehab with a vengeance & will do whatever it takes to stay a 'Nuck.

Santorelli quickly became one of my favourite players on this team. He had a great work ethic, good passing skills, a decent wrist shot, could tip shots in, play both special teams, and win faceoffs.

He was on pace for 17 goals, 30 assists, and 47 points. Definitely more than a third liner. He had nearly as many points as Kesler, who is considered a great second liner by most people.

He better be re-signed. He is a good player to have on a team that will have many young players on it a few years from now. Santorelli likes playing for us and will probably settle for a hometown discount, but the management better not be so cheap that they can't give him even 2 million. I honestly think he is worth 3 - 4 million, but he hasn't played a full season with us yet, so 2 - 2.5 million should be a good number.

Definitely no NTC though, Gillis needs to stop handing those out.

Agreed that Santorelli played really well for the Canucks. One of the highlights of the year. Amazing that Hanzal was given minimal discipline when he has now removed Santorelli and likely reduces Hank Sedin to having a minimal impact. For a league supposedly trying to protect players they seem to have forgotten that the Canucks are part of the league??!

Brian McGrattan says...Hi!

Add him to the list. Some will blame Torts for playing guys too much, many will blame Hanzal, but injuries happen and someone else had to step up. We have been a one line team for a long time. Now we have enough to get others going.

Exactly. You can bet each of those people weren't calling for Kassian to be suspended when Bolland got injured. It wasn't an illegal play but rather a freak injury.

To think that this blatant Hanzal-assault was preceded by the SEVEN MINUTE-FIASCOS! If we try to defend ourselves, we're given penalties that I've NEVER before witnessed. THEN I saw the Canadian press sum it up, by accusing our squad of "goonery"! Hardly mentioning a seven minute FIVE ON THREE! CORRUPT LEAGUE aided & abetted by complicit media.

No wonder our players lose heart. Who can blame them?!

They allow some 6'6", 235lb azzhole to run around, deliberately injuring THREE people with crosschecks?!

It's simply a rigged deck, nothing more.

I used to scoff at people who blamed the Canucks performance lately on injuries.

But I wouldn't be surprised now if there are other significant players playing through injury.

Maybe this team IS better than it has shown but just can't physically do it right now even if they wanted to. And maybe the Olympic break is just what the doctor ordered and everything is going to be all right after all.

I need to re-examine my whole life!

Who would've thunk that losing Santirelli would be such a major blow to the team, 5 months ago?

But it really is today.

Me. Because Santorelli is in fact a fringe player who frankly, started to dry up before getting injured. Love his energy but he's not what the Canucks need as a 2C. They need another 1C.

SJS

Thornton

Pavelski

Marleau

L.A.

Kopitar

Richards

Carter

VAN

H. Sedin (ir)

Santorelli (ir)

Kesler

Richardson

The well dried very fast.

Exactly. You can bet each of those people weren't calling for Kassian to be suspended when Bolland got injured. It wasn't an illegal play but rather a freak injury.

Not even remotely the same thing though. An errant skate blade is quite different than ramming someone under the arm with a stick. So yeah, I'm blaming Hanzal because it's quite different...one was a deliberate action, the other was not.

I don't mind re-signing him .. But only if it's for around 1m .. A bridge contract of sorts to prove this season wasn't a fluke and that this injury isn't a career ending one for him

Yeah I like the sound of that, and having him at that cap is good for motivating some of the younger guys to compete with him for a roster spot.

Santo, Bieksa, Hank, Danny (ish) and Tanev and more.

Is there any way we can just write the season off, come in 9th in the conference and still win the lottery to make the collective alberta fans cry when we draft Ekblad?

Aha wouldnt that be nice!

Pretty sad our brightest spot this season is gone now, our thinnest team depth wise ever and we have had the most injuries it feels like. Bieksa out now to for a few, everyone been hurt,

with our luck higgins will be hurt next

Archived