The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

So, we got Steve Anthony who will never make the NHL, again, Matthias a third line center, and Markstrom who may never actually make the NHL. He obviously hasn't made the jump and he hasn't dominated the AHL by any means.

This is the best we could get? A depth center is the only guarantee here.

Or we gave up Anthony? Well, the point still stands here.

Mattias and markstrom are not good enough returns. Markstrom will be good one day but Mattias has 9 goals and is 26 years old, still relatively young but I'm not sure if he's going to have a break out season soon. If there was a first rounder thrown in there, this would have been a good deal for us. i think Gillis really messed this trade up. Thank you to Luongo for being the best goalie this franchise has ever had.

I think MG partly did Luo a favour. The guy wanted to be close to his family, was obviously on shaky ground with the Canucks so MG sent him to where he wanted to go.

Playing hardball with a goalie like Luo wasn't going to work. Canucks got a good goaltending prospect that I'm sure Rollie will work with quite a bit and Matthais is a solid young 3rd line C that the Canucks can probably extend. Gillis is probably trying to create cap space to make more moves in the off season

Does anyone know if Markstrom's just not very good or does FL suck at D?

Ray Ferraro saying he's not too big on him. Saying he let's in a lot of unusual goals that shouldn't go in. Lot of middle of the net goals.

So.... congrats on the promotion Lack!

15% retained by the Canucks, basically about $800K/yr currently.

800/yr I can live with. But if he retires earlier than the expiration date of his contract (which he will) the recapture can burn us for a very long time.....

Is this just salary, or is this cap space? If it's just cash, then who cares.

It's both, you can't separate salary and cap hit in a retained deal. In this case it will be 15% of each for whatever they are in a given year. Cap won't change of course but his salary does later in the contract so we'd be paying less if he didn't retire before the end of his deal.

gillis i knew all along he was the wrong gm. man this is sad. we could have done this last year, had schneider and then let him and kesler be our future.

instead our gm screws it up big time and does this, yikes, gonna be some rough roads ahead before we are a playoff threat

You sound pretty certain that it could have been done last year. Don't you think that if Gillis was considering two 2nds from Toronto that a deal like this from Florida would have been a much easier choice?

In fact, it hasn't been until this year that Tallon has gotten the ok from new ownership to be able to spend and perhaps that's coupled with them having less faith in Markstrom at the NHL level. I highly doubt anything close to this deal was available at the deadline or draft last year - particularly with the cap going down.

I've watched many games of the panthers with Markstrom in net and it wasn't pretty. If you thought Luo let in some shady goals wait til you see the highlight reel on Markstrom. Has huge potentials but gets rattled and loses concentration easily. Lets see if Rollie can fix him up?

Archived