The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Markstrom proved last season that he belongs in this league, and waited and prepared in the minors enough to know what it means to keep playing his heart out.  His stats were middling across the boards for #1 goaltenders, with a less than helpful team in front of him.  Personally I am excited about this guy, and if Miller falters wouldn't be surprised if he takes over, or at least plays close to half the starts.  Better defense this year should help push his stats into the next tier of starters, and if he can continue to improve and use his size he could be the next Rinne or Bishop.

i'm excited for Markstrom as well. this will be a big season for him as Miller is coming off the books and I really can't see him coming back. Linden and Benning better make a trade to see what they can get for Miller close to the trade deadline. 

• 1 month later...

Anybody else feel like Marky looked like a starting NHL netminder last night?

It was my first time watching him and not saying "wow, he's almost there". Last night he looked like he's officially entering his prime.

Smooth, controlled game, confident puckhandling, using his size, etc. 

We may actually have Ben Bishop 2.0 here, with a little Dubnyk mixed in. 

Very excited to watch his role on the team increase as the season goes on.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, N4ZZY said:

i'm excited for Markstrom as well. this will be a big season for him as Miller is coming off the books and I really can't see him coming back. Linden and Benning better make a trade to see what they can get for Miller close to the trade deadline. 

Do you think there is any way that Miller goes to LA? It would be a leap for Benning to put it all on Marky but the return might be worth it. LA has not CAP room but has Quick on LTIR. Canucks might get a nice return. I doubt it can work, sadly. I have Miller as TDL option since his contract is up.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Do you think there is any way that Miller goes to LA? It would be a leap for Benning to put it all on Marky but the return might be worth it. LA has not CAP room but has Quick on LTIR. Canucks might get a nice return. I doubt it can work, sadly. I have Miller as TDL option since his contract is up.

I don't see much return on any goalie this year. Teams with a goalie surplus like montreal and Pittsburgh get the shaft because they can only protect 1 in the expansion. Murray HAS to be traded. bishop HAS to be traded. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

REALLY doubt we move Miller until the TDL. LA's going to need a goalie before then (or not at all).

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yeah. this is an odd year, where there's an expansion draft for Vegas in the off-season. But it wouldn't affect Miller, since he would be out of contract by that time. If he's traded, most likely for prospects, and/or draft picks. but it might be a developing prospect a few years away, as opposed to one that's close to making the roster. I'd rather have picks, though, and give Benning more of what he does well at, at the draft. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the question is, next season, is Markstrom and Demko good enough, or do the Canucks sign a goalie when all the dust settles after the expansion draft? 

Someone suggested the idea that miller could be resigned as a stop gap. I'd be okay with that.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the question is, next season, is Markstrom and Demko good enough, or do the Canucks sign a goalie when all the dust settles after the expansion draft? 

I think JB said stuff about resigning Miller a while back, didn't he?

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd like a guy for one more year. Either a guy to split some games with Markstrom, like Chad Johnson, or just re-sign Miller at a bit cheaper for one more season. I'd be happy with $5M for one year.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So long term is Markstrom the answer, or will the Canucks be going to Demko? Or was the Canucks smart to snag Garteig because in the AHL he seems to be a bit better than Demko?  (In a very small sample size). 

Uhmm when was Garteig better then Demko in the A? He played 4 games and got lost them all with unimpressive numbers.

Long term I do not see Markstrom as the answer and it will be Demko who takes the reigns. Question is whether the Canucks keep/resign Miller for another season to split time with Markstrom which allows Demko another year in the A, or if they just go with Markstrom and Demko then I can see Markstrom getting most starts for the first year but Demko will push him out. .

Ugly game last night, honestly he is not taking the next step in becoming a NHL starter and is getting outplayed by Miller.  I can only think of one game earlier in the season where I thought 'dam Marky stole that one for us.'  Hopefully when we're officially out of the playoffs he can go on a little run and use that momentum to take the reigns next year or at least be a nice stopgap until Thatchy D arrives.

Imo it is time to let Markstrom get the most starts for the rest of the year. The team needs to know if he can carry the freight as a temporary #1. This should have been done earlier as to not confuse the issue about trading/keeping Miller by the deadline.

It seems like bad planning, unless the decision has already been made and we just have to wait to see what the team decided.?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Ugly game last night, honestly he is not taking the next step in becoming a NHL starter and is getting outplayed by Miller.  I can only think of one game earlier in the season where I thought 'dam Marky stole that one for us.'  Hopefully when we're officially out of the playoffs he can go on a little run and use that momentum to take the reigns next year or at least be a nice stopgap until Thatchy D arrives.

Miller has been lights out this year and playing his best hockey in years. comparing the two is apples and oranges. One grizzled vet looking for a last contract and one young guy attempting to become a starter against that vet.

Marky has had off games, and he has had some some stellar games for us this year. As does literally every goaltender in the league. Markstroms great games have out weighted his bad though. Unfortunately you didn't show up in this thread till he had a bad game. Love the positivity.  

7 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Miller has been lights out this year and playing his best hockey in years. comparing the two is apples and oranges. One grizzled vet looking for a last contract and one young guy attempting to become a starter against that vet.

Marky has had off games, and he has had some some stellar games for us this year. As does literally every goaltender in the league. Markstroms great games have out weighted his bad though. Unfortunately you didn't show up in this thread till he had a bad game. Love the positivity.  

Isn't Marky late 20s?  He is a vet himself, I think.  The Canucks need to let Marky play A LOT over these last games to see what we have.

10 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I have to agree that Miller has been lights out this year but in terms of moving forward with Markstrom as a number 1 you have to compare him to  Miller(a proven starter in the NHL) to see if  Marky can handle it/has the skills to do so. Based on what we've seen from Markstrom he is not ready to be a full time #1. Hopefully management will get him into more games down the stretch so we can see if he can elevate his game to the next level and prove he can be a starter. The way he is playing right now I would not be comfortable with him as our starter next year.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Marky late 20s?  He is a vet himself, I think.  The Canucks need to let Marky play A LOT over these last games to see what we have.

He's 27.... so his "developmental" stage has pretty much closed.  

If he's gonna be a #1 NHL starter, he will need to put everything together quickly.  

I think it's the inconsistent starts that's messing up his game.  Hard to get a rhythm  when the other goalie is playing out of his mind, but if the Canucks truly believe that they have something special in Markstrom, they need to make that clearer.  

• Upvote 1