The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

He's always played better with more starts. I still don't think he'll ever be a top 5 goalie but there's no reason he can't be a solid 10-20 guy.

All the: 'he's only a backup' talk was nonsense by the usual crowd of poop coloured, glass wearers. 

He's been giving up at least 1 bad goal per game but the Flames goals were all bad goals, short side shots or nothings from the point that should have been stopped. About 3-4 of those goals against were very save-able.

Obviously Markstrom is not a true star or starting goalie in this league and is just here to tie us over until Demko is ready, but that might be a while. I'd be happy to see what Nilsson has to offer for the next game and honestly think that's the way the season should go. 2 or 3 losses in a row and you're swapped. He had a very poor game against Calgary.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's been giving up at least 1 bad goal per game but the Flames goals were all bad goals, short side shots or nothings from the point that should have been stopped. About 3-4 of those goals against were very save-able.

Obviously Markstrom is not a true star or starting goalie in this league and is just here to tie us over until Demko is ready, but that might be a while. I'd be happy to see what Nilsson has to offer for the next game and honestly think that's the way the season should go. 2 or 3 losses in a row and you're swapped. He had a very poor game against Calgary.

I agree. I'm actually quite surprised that his leash was long enough that he got last night's game. I assumed Greener would give Nilsson a shot. I hope he's playing next game.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm beginning to really like the unique style Markstrom is carving out for himself. He's been playing the puck a ton and last night was a crazy aggressive night for him. Reminds me of Thomas or the Dominator with how crazy he is sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well that's an interesting assessment.

People keep looking at GAA and SVP (and that Markstrom, more so earlier, was letting in 'softies') and assuming Nilsson is the better goalie.

There's a reason the coaches have started him more.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

People keep looking at GAA and SVP (and that Markstrom, more so earlier, was letting in 'softies') and assuming Nilsson is the better goalie.

Yeah, the numbers don't do Markstrom justice.  Can't think of a game this season where I thought "Well, if Nilsson played that game it would've gone better".  It's a good situation to be in.  Fair to say, ever since Luongo/Melanson, Vancouver is no longer a goalie graveyard.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm one of them to be honest.  Not so much GAA since that relies heavily in your defense blocking shots, but save %.  As good of a measure as it is, it doesn't measure difficulty of shots or frequency of rebounds.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I'm one of them to be honest.  Not so much GAA since that relies heavily in your defense blocking shots, but save %.  As good of a measure as it is, it doesn't measure difficulty of shots or frequency of rebounds.

i remain one of them

i suspect that if nilsson qualified on a games played basis for these measurements

his stats would be better than markstrom

nilsson has played very well in every game i watched him in

this is not a criticism of markstrom at all. .he justifiably is getting recognition he deserves

but nilsson has just been a bit better overall in my view

still... nitpicking over who is better when both clearly are playing well. .. is a nice situation to be in

for a fan and the team

It's getting to the point where I don't even know if Markstrom is #1 starter quality anymore. I used to think he was capable, but 6-8 record thus far this season? A little disappointing, but maybe all these years there was a reason for why even Florida gave up on him? Maybe Markstrom's mental make up is better than Lack's, but perhaps not by much. Which is too bad. Demko can't get here fast enough. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

It's getting to the point where I don't even know if Markstrom is #1 starter quality anymore. I used to think he was capable, but 6-8 record thus far this season? A little disappointing, but maybe all these years there was a reason for why even Florida gave up on him? Maybe Markstrom's mental make up is better than Lack's, but perhaps not by much. Which is too bad. Demko can't get here fast enough. 

I firmly believe Markstrom is looking like a #1 for sure, but the question is how solid of a #1. Currently, I'd say he's looking like a 15-25 goaltender, but we've seen him get hot, and at those times, I'd say he pushes up to 10-15. He only seems to struggle with consistency, if he nailed that down, he'd be a top half starter in the league.

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I firmly believe Markstrom is looking like a #1 for sure, but the question is how solid of a #1. Currently, I'd say he's looking like a 15-25 goaltender, but we've seen him get hot, and at those times, I'd say he pushes up to 10-15. He only seems to struggle with consistency, if he nailed that down, he'd be a top half starter in the league.

His starts need to be consistently better if he's to be considered a top keeper in the league.

He lets in a garbage goal or two every game. The worst one is usually early in the game so at least there's time to come back.

But his performance in NYC yesterday was concerning. He's gotta stop dropping his knee so early. Gets burned high glove off the RW way too often.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 5:59 PM, canuckster19 said:

Meh kind of getting tired of him always letting in the first goal, a good goalie holds the fort once in a while until his team scores first.

I think that is exactly what he has done past couple of games - if he keeps it up, I suspect people will come around to him.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G
  • 2 weeks later...

When I read all the accumulative comments over the past several weeks in the PGT, we are so hard on our goaltenders.   Come on you guys, yes the goalies have let in some soft ones (all goalies do),  but it is not only their fault.  We have been playing without our best two defensive forwards [Bo and Sutter], and now our best defender in Tanev, [and before that other defenders].  Included in that is our two best FO guys, which makes a HUGE difference in puck possession.  On top of that, our two best PK centres.  Maybe our goaltenders are trying too hard because of all of this [and just like forwards when you try to hard - results are worse].  And on top of all of this we are in a rebuild stage with aging vets who are not at the top of their game, nor the best at defending.  Not a time when you necessarily look the best defensively.

Did you SEE the last game some of the chances we gave up,  . .  ridiculous and you want to put all the blame on the goaltenders?  From what I know goaltending is a lot about confidence and right now neither have much because of the way the team is playing in front of them.  Under the current circumstance I don’t think most another goalies [such as Miller] look any better, although we will never know.  And as a side note, I think dear Willy did the team and Marky a disservice last year by not play him in more games to transition him into the starter role management thought they had in him.  Really what real difference would it have made to last year otherwise, or the standings?

It’s going to be a long season and frankly while goaltending could be better, I don’t think it is our major problem.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it's time we give Marky the reigns for better or for worse. No more back and forth.

Both goalies have proven to be inconsistent now, but I think Markstrom's development is more important in the long run.

He needs to learn how to bounce back after bad games. Give him 4 or 5 in a row to see if he gets in a rhythm.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think it's time we give Marky the reigns for better or for worse. No more back and forth.

Both goalies have proven to be inconsistent now, but I think Markstrom's development is more important in the long run.

He needs to learn how to bounce back after bad games. Give him 4 or 5 in a row to see if he gets in a rhythm.

I would have to agree. Nilsson has had so many opportunities to really steal that job but hasn't built on the ridiculous 6 or so games he had earlier in the season.

It's time to just roll with Markstrom and see what happens.

Edited by Odd.