The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Oh, I agree that's what he'll want (and as I noted, it is still unlikely he'll only sign one year). But similar to what we saw with Ferland last year, teams weren't interested in offering him the $5x5 he was reportedly looking for. In his case, Ferland got close to his desired term but took a sizeable hit on the $$.

What Markstrom wants isn't the entire picture.

All I'm suggesting is that his knee is some actual ammo in the Canucks favour on keeping term lower. Whether that's one year or two or three or four or...? we'll just have to wait and see. And again, I'm doubtful it's one. But the cap/Covid and his knee DO both help the Canuck's/hurt Markstrom' case in that direction.

The Canucks in all likelihood won't be his only - and in your scenario - best option.  As I said he will be wanting to get the best deal for him and his family's future especially turning 31, being a UFA and coming off of his best year ever.  I think your scenario is wishful thinking and if I am his agent I recommend against it.

46 minutes ago, Borvat said:

The Canucks in all likelihood won't be his only - and in your scenario - best option.  As I said he will be wanting to get the best deal for him and his family's future especially turning 31, being a UFA and coming off of his best year ever.  I think your scenario is wishful thinking and if I am his agent I recommend against it.

It's not my scenario :lol:

For the third time now, I think it's highly unlikely we get him for one year. It's seems your arguing a point in not trying to make lol

A good Marky interview on the Canucks Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Canucks/videos/229492824953944/

A few highlights:

Is working out using a tennis ball machine...not a usual thing, but no one to shoot on him so that's how he's doing hockey related training.  Not his usual, but it's what he's doing now.

Leash is longer in Sweden so people are out and about, but it's a personal responsibility thing to take care of self/family.

Has been in Sweden for about 3 weeks now - felt it was important to be with family (especially with uncertainty of airport lockdowns, etc.)

Knee is fully healed/rehabbed.  Started to feel a tweak in the second period of the Boston game.  OK at intermission but told Demko to get ready during third when it was stiffening up.

When asked how he kept it together so well to play his best hockey of his career after the loss of his father he said he had a great support system in place.  That hockey was actually a safe haven for him and he could focus on stopping the puck and it helped.

When asked (by Jeff Pratt?) if he was hoping it wasn't significant (as he traveled to Montreal withe the team) he said he didn't want to miss any games.  That maybe he was fueled by adrenaline but when it wasn't getting better he didn't want to risk it.  

Asked about the point when things shut down (March 12) - where was he in the recovery process?  Said the goal was to play in California during the back to back and he was on schedule...everything was going smoothly with no set backs and the timeline in place.

Who would be want to be quarantined with (teammate):  Tough one.  Likes them all, but likely Eddie as they've been long time friends now.  They're close - Edlers cook dinners for him and he plays with their kids.

Least:  I think he said Myers...because he likes to be the tallest.

Re contract/loyalty, etc.  It was mentioned that the Canucks have been on board with him throughout his development and he answered to that by saying it's normal that a guy wants to play for a team that's helped him come up through the system.  That he knows everyone in the organization and wants to make the city proud.  

Who is his favourite for the Hard:  David Pastrnak

Norris:  Quinn's up there but Victor Hedman

His agent's been in communication with Jim Benning 

Ian Clark's impact on him and his success over past two years?:  He said from day one as he came up from Utica he's had help...Roly, Clouts.  But Ian's one of the best and he feels privileged to work with him.  Says he pushes hard, but that's a good thing.  Said he just talked to Clark an hour ago and they keep in close contact.

Re the technical side of things, what has Clark helped with.  Answer:  "everything" (LOL)

Does not watch current videos for visualization...watches 90's clips.  Doesn't let his eyes fall asleep - racquet sports for hand/eye.

Hasn't been skating (phone rang...think that's correct).  Left his equipment behind.

• Cheers 1

”I've been talking to his agent, but we really haven't been talking contract much with the uncertainty. We don't know what the cap will be like next year, we don't know if we'll finish this season. There's just too many unknowns right now. I've been in contract with all their agents - Chris Tanev, Toffoli. But we're in a holding pattern right now, so as soon as we have a better idea of where we'll be at next year, and where the cap is at, we'll go from there.” - Benning on Markstrom

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

”I've been talking to his agent, but we really haven't been talking contract much with the uncertainty. We don't know what the cap will be like next year, we don't know if we'll finish this season. There's just too many unknowns right now. I've been in contract with all their agents - Chris Tanev, Toffoli. But we're in a holding pattern right now, so as soon as we have a better idea of where we'll be at next year, and where the cap is at, we'll go from there.” - Benning on Markstrom

Where is that quote from!??

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can only hope the voters aren't so ridiculous, but fortunately, the entire cast of voters isn't from NHL.com.

Its okay, I'm alright with that honestly.  

People underestimating the Canucks big time individually the players and holistically as a team.  We thrive lurking in the shadows.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Meh. Comes off as a rant by a fan.  

Markstrom was 11th in wins, 11 in save%, 22nd in GAA. (Among goalies that started at least 30 games. 

He was a difference maker for the Canucks  this season. No doubt. But it’s not unreasonable to not have him in the Vezina conversation 

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Markstrom was 11th in wins, 11 in save%, 22nd in GAA. (Among goalies that started at least 30 games. 

He was a difference maker for the Canucks  this season. No doubt. But it’s not unreasonable to not have him in the Vezina conversation 

Unfortunately the numbers that would put him in the conversation like quality of shots faced are not as highly regarded as things like wins and SV%.

I have no problem with him being outside the top ten. Fans who watch on a nightly basis know how important he was to our team.

54 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

For my money, a goaltender with 30 games will never be in serious contention for the Vezina. In a full season, I'd say you need at least 45 games to be even considered. Pro-rated to roughly what this year was, that's 38 games. Among that population (26 goaltenders, all the main starters for their teams), Markstrom's save percentage was 4th in the NHL. As @DeNiro has also referenced, there are also advanced stat metrics that point very positively to his ability to carry this team in tough situations.

For my money, these are my top 5 for the Vezina this year:

1. Hellebuyck

2. Rask

3. Bishop

4. Vasilevsky

5. Markstrom

Say what you will about being satisfied about players flying under the radar, but I was pretty dang excited when Petey won the Calder last year.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

For my money, a goaltender with 30 games will never be in serious contention for the Vezina. In a full season, I'd say you need at least 45 games to be even considered. Pro-rated to roughly what this year was, that's 38 games. Among that population (26 goaltenders, all the main starters for their teams), Markstrom's save percentage was 4th in the NHL. As @DeNiro has also referenced, there are also advanced stat metrics that point very positively to his ability to carry this team in tough situations.

For my money, these are my top 5 for the Vezina this year:

1. Hellebuyck

2. Rask

3. Bishop

4. Vasilevsky

5. Markstrom

Say what you will about being satisfied about players flying under the radar, but I was pretty dang excited when Petey won the Calder last year.

I think it’s Hellebuyck’s award this season hands down. 

• Upvote 1

ok

marky is good

he sure has upped his game in the last year and bit
but sid? hart consideration? really?  not very close in my view

marky missed games in stretches (does not matter why)

so the starter/back up rotation was not much of thing with this team

marky started, marky was gone, demko was forced to start

made things a bit tough on the back up

they both got their share of games, but not the way any organization would plan

and though marky was very good he lacked elite starter consistency

his game, from game to game, is still a bit uneven

anyway i suspect his contract expectations pre virus were likely around 5 or 6 years x 7 million

i'd need to see him in a playoff run before deciding that this value can work for him

he has played 0 games in the playoffs so far

the metal of a goalie is not really tested until the playoff fires are experienced

i like his development

but he is a late bloomer if he shows now he is truly elite

but better late then never, and has a solid understanding now of his abilities and style of play

could forecast a nice 5 year run as a top end starter

let's see his post season play