The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

The same praises were made when talking about Jordan Schroeder too..... (I still believe he'll make it into the NHL).

Not saying Shinkaruk won't be an NHLer, but when you can package an unproven prospect coming off a serious injury to help get the #1 pick, you do it.

Sure but not plus the 6th AND say Tanev.

The same praises were made when talking about Jordan Schroeder too..... (I still believe he'll make it into the NHL).

Not saying Shinkaruk won't be an NHLer, but when you can package an unproven prospect coming off a serious injury to help get the #1 pick, you do it.

Yea lets trade 2 unproven top prospects for 1 unproven top prospect.

We need to stop thinking about this in a fixed way. People keep saying we can't give up prospects to get the #1 pick because our pool is too shallow, but that's because you're only looking at one of the trades that we would be making. A lot rides on what we get back in return for Ryan Kesler - that's going to have some quality prospects that allows us to absorb the loss we will see in pursuing the #1 pick. Saying Horvat and Shinkaruk are untouchable because they are our best prospects is ridiculous. Why would Florida give their #1 pick up for anything less than the other team's best prospects? Does it cost a lot? Yes. Is it too much? No. A trade for the #1 pick is getting quality over quantity. Normally, this would hurt a team because it depletes a team's prospect pool, but we are getting that quantity back in the Ryan Kesler trade.

So, assuming EF is right, and we give up Shinkaruk + roster player + 6th:

As for who we should pick with the #1 pick, I really like Reinhart, but all this talk is making it seem crazy to pass on Ekblad. I think we can try to get both like Burke did in 1999. Draft Ekblad #1, Buffalo will most likely draft Bennett #2, leaving Edmonton with a chance at Reinhart at #3 - but Edmonton wants defense badly. Ekblad makes Tanev expendable - if we throw two top 4 defensemen (Tanev + Garrison) or Tanev + 1st round pick from Kesler trade (if that's not enough, I'd be okay throwing Garrison in because we don't need him, and that should be more than enough), it might be enough for Edmonton to give Reinhart up.

Anyways, the probability that happens is very very low and very very unlikely. We don't even know if we are getting that #1 pick. Let's just wait and assess the situation IF and when both major trades - #1 pick and Kesler trade - happen. I hope we can do both before the draft, and preferrably the Kesler trade first so we know what our complete prospect pool is before seeing what we can afford to give up for the #1 pick.

Why not wait like you mention till EDM is ready to select at number 3. IF Reinhart is still around, We should go all in for that pick. Draisaitl could very well still be around at number 6 if we make that move.

What would it take to get the 3rd overall and Yak out of Edmonton?

If we could leave this draft with a high end scorer and Reinhart that would be a steal

I love Shinkaruk as a player and potential star, but to put it into better perspective look at it from this stand point maybe. What if each of the players involved reach full potential, and who can we compare them to in the trade.

Reinhart(Toews/Tavares) for Shinkaruk(Gaborik), Hansen, 6th(who knows but lets say Ehlers = Nyquist)

Would you be content with getting Tavares for Gaborik, Hansen, and Nyquist?

I highly doubt Tanev will be involved as well.

lf Reinhart were projected to be Tavares or Toews do you think Florida would be trading that pick?

Tanev + Kassian + Shinkaruk + Horvat + Jensen + 6th = Tavares (at the draft)

The point is you are not getting Tavares at the draft or Toews.

Definitely can make comparisons to Shinkaruk and Schroeder, I have been disappointed in Schroeder's level of compete in the previous years, granted he has been riddled with injuries his whole career here. (I also think he can make it into the NHL but I see him more of a RW than a center)

I think the two things that separate Shinkaruk and Schroeder is Shinkaruk's agility in terms of his turns and his footwork to fool goalies and defensmen, and he's got a sick sniper-style shot that seems like it could beat any goalie in the NHL.

It's all debatable until either player actually goes out and proves something, but overall I want to see Shinkaruk play more before dealing him

Agreed.

I just hope Benning and Linden don't trade up for the sake of putting their stamp on the team. I would just keep that 6th and push Anaheim for Etem 10th and 24th or the Penguins for Pouliot 1st and Bennett in the Kesler trade.

I think we should hop out of the idea of getting the 1st overall pick if it includes 6th + Shinkaruk+. Take what we get from Kesler, draft and work in the free agency. If Tallon is high on Ehlers then let him take him with the 1st pick unless he believes someone else better but if he takes Ehlers we'll take one of the top 5.

I can't believe some of you are comparing Shinkaruk to Schreoder

Shinkaruk:

2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42 24 13 14 4 5 9 0 2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91 38 17 8 2 9 11 6 2012-13 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 64 37 49 86 44 -13 8 3 3 6 8 2013-14 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 18 5 11 16 29 -2 -- -- -- -- --

Schroeder:

2008-09 U. of Minnesota WCHA 35 13 32 45 29 2009-10 U. of Minnesota WCHA 37 9 19 28 14

I don't agree with giving up Shinkaruk but we can probably afford to do so. Our middle will be set with Reinhart, Horvat, Gaunce, Lain, and Cassels. We have Jensen, Kassian on wing. We'll most likely get another 2-3 wingers if we trade Kesler to Anaheim. We could see Etem come our way and we can pick Virtanen up with the 10th pick. It isn't exactly beautiful but with a couple signings to patch things up, we'll have solid depth.

@Warhippy never said anything about murray. However I will admit to mantha. but lets be honest he has had 2 killer years and brings size to the table. he will be an nhl player. reason I believe reinhart has proved himself is because he has put numbers up in the same category as Tavares. PPG wise. That's pretty impressive. Shinkaruk didn't even come close and he is small and he had a hip injury that will affect his potential.

Mantha also slipped in the draft rankings based on perceived work ethic issues attitude and laziness. He also played as a basic man child in a smaller league. Of course he will dominate, where as Shinkaruk put up multiple season of very high point totals in what people say is the tightest checking division in the CHL on a team with far less talent.

So....size not with standing. Why are they different in terms of value?

I get ripped on for "overvaluing" our players, yet I am putting the same value on our guys as so many others seem to do with every prospect on another team that has done exactly nothing.

Added point, Shink potted some tasty points in the pre season against men on 1 leg and a bad hip.

Has Mantha done that?

I think a lot of you are going to be surprised what Reinhart will be able to do in the NHL, whether it's for us or not. I recall watching him at the World Juniors: he didn't light it up (the team wasn't really in sync the whole tournament), but he was poised, smart, calm, and seemed to 'control' every play he was in on. I also recall Ferraro calling him the "best playmaker since Sidney Crosby". He's not fast, in fact, he slows the game down to suit his fancy - that to me are the signs of a true star (not somebody who drives the net and neglects his teammates). I see Reinhart telling his teammates exactly where they need to be and making everyone around him better. Ekblad also looks like the next Weber. Either one will be the best young player we've had on our roster since the Sedins rookie year. If we can move up without completely devastating our current prospect pool , we simply must.

If true, Benning slow down...shinkaruk will be a star in this league.

Thumbs up for trying to get the 1st overall but dont lose Horvat/Shinkaruk in the process.

Just do Garrison + 6th + gaunce

It's the 1st overall....There is going to be an overpayment for that luxury....That's a fact..!...Garrison,Gaunce + 6th will not get it done....I also think that there should be an overpayment for the services of Ryan Kesler,it cuts both ways.

Archived