The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] VAN interested in Ryan Miller

Schneider is entering the last year of his deal in NJ, and becomes a UFA thereafter. (unless he's re-signed/extended)

With it looking like Brodeur is leaving, it opens the door for Cory to be the starter there, which is what he wants... but who knows what happens?

Not much this organization has done in the 30+ years I've been following the Canucks, has bothered me more than trading away Schneider.
The way this team is shaping up now, he would fit in beautifully here. If at all possible I would be ringing that bell as well.... Miller? not thanks. I'd rather have Tokarski, who could potentially be another Schneider.

Hiller would be better honestly. But for some crazy reason I just don't think he'll sign here for some reason or thrive in this market. Miller though well he's just Miller... Good goalie but not a playoff kinda guy and honestly even Lu was much better than Miller when it came to playoffs, and even he was known for not getting it done in the playoffs... Sorry Lu fans just my honest opinion.

Guys....if we have any hope of winning we need a guy who has experience...not just skill....Lacks losses were not from absence of skill....only nerves and lack of experience. For gods sake do him a favor and find someone to take the heat off of him for a couple years. This is the most vicious market in the NHL. Think about.

Lack and Markstrom are not number one goalies. We desperately need one. How we went from Luongo and Schneider to this is beyond me. Gillis was such an idiot.

That's what people said about Crawford too... until he won a Stanley Cup.

I thought players don't have to clear waivers in the off-season?

Also his 1-way doesn't kick in till after the draft.

1-way has nothing to do with it of course, but people keep saying that waivers don't exist in the offseason. That's not correct in that we can't send players to the AHL until playing season waiver period is in effect:

The “Playing Season Waiver Period” (which I will call “waiver period”) begins 12 days before the start of the regular season and ends the day after a team’s season ends.

http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/nhl-waiver-rules-explained/

So we can't slip Markstrom to the AHL without waivers in August, because the waiver period isn't open yet. Once that period is open to assign players to the AHL, then the waivers rules apply and Markstrom has to pass through waivers starting this year.

Yeah, I believe the waiver period starts on September 26th this year (12 days before the opening of the regular season on October 8th). And it ended the day after the Canucks finished their season.

So basically, the Canucks could potentially sign Miller and they could still bring Markstrom to training camp and even play him for the first couple games of the preseason (split-squad versus Sharks on Sept. 23 and versus Flames Sept. 25)

As long as he was assigned to Utica before September 26th, he shouldn't need to clear waivers.

But don't forget, they had to move up the waiver period prior to the lockout so teams could actually assign younger players to the AHL. From the same link:

In September, 2012, the league and the NHLPA moved up the start of this period in order to allow teams to assign players to the AHL before the 9/15 lock-out date.

If anyone has a link that explains they can send players to the AHL prior to this waiver period, I'd like to see it.

But, as far as Miller, this is just a phone call. He'll likely want too much and won't have us as a top destination. I don't see the interest going very far, much like the earlier call for Bolland.

Fun Fact: 2014 Eddie Lack is exactly as good as 2014 Ryan Miller. This would be the biggest waste of money...

Lack is our starter. If we bring in anyone, it will be a veteran back up. But I say screw it, run with Eddie/Markstrom for a few months and see how they develop. Tons of potential there. Goaltending is the least of our many concerns.

Archived