The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I was probably one of the few people who actually wanted the Canucks to draft him, I was very excited when they did!

I was with ya buddy!

So happy he's in our system, he really has the potential to be an Iginla type player.

Plus, him being a Canucks fan and a character guy are very important added bonuses IMO.

Virtanen is NOT a steal. 6th overall pick for virtanen is a bit early i still think.

Most people here don't understand what a steal or bust is. A 6th overall pick being a good player isn't a steal, and a 6th round pick not making the NHL isn't a bust, yet it gets thrown around a lot anyway.

Most people here don't understand what a steal or bust is. A 6th overall pick being a good player isn't a steal, and a 6th round pick not making the NHL isn't a bust, yet it gets thrown around a lot anyway.

"I totally read 6th overall pick not making the NHL isnt a bust..."

Glad I read it over 8 times haha.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen doesn't have skill? :huh:

He's skilled, point per game in the WHL, but he doesn't have Ehlers or Nylander-level skill. Those kids are on another level to Virtanen. Sure, Virtanen's got a bigger body and plays a more rounded game but like I've said, we've got enough of those players, and we've got no one in our lineup on the same echelon as say Nylander skill-wise.

Our prospect pool is getting stupidly one-dimensional. Horvat, Jensen, Virtanen, Kassian and Gaunce are all very similar players.

We did get lucky with drafting McCann (surprised he fell so late) so hopefully he develops a bit more pure skill, and although Cassels is up there in the OHL scoring he's more of a two-way forward just like the rest of our prospects.

He's skilled, point per game in the WHL, but he doesn't have Ehlers or Nylander-level skill. Those kids are on another level to Virtanen. Sure, Virtanen's got a bigger body and plays a more rounded game but like I've said, we've got enough of those players, and we've got no one in our lineup on the same echelon as say Nylander skill-wise.

Our prospect pool is getting stupidly one-dimensional. Horvat, Jensen, Virtanen, Kassian and Gaunce are all very similar players.

We did get lucky with drafting McCann (surprised he fell so late) so hopefully he develops a bit more pure skill, and although Cassels is up there in the OHL scoring he's more of a two-way forward just like the rest of our prospects.

I was half way done typing my reply post when I gave up.

LOL WAT?

THats all you get.

• Upvote 2

good thing I read some of the other responses, I thought it was an uncharacteristically bizarre statement from the Mash

After reading Gooseberries post I had to go back and make sure I didn't actually say "6th overall pick not making the NHL isn't a bust".

What a poor choice of wording on my part :lol:

I really disagree. If you're going to lump players together, it would probably be Horvat/Gaunce being the most similar as two way centers, and then the other three as offensively minded big wingers. Even then, they all play completely different styles of games.

• Upvote 2

"Another level"? Just because they're smaller and dance around doesn't mean they are somehow more skilled, let alone not even "on the same echelon". Virtanen had four less goals than Ehlers, despite significantly less TOI, considerably less PP time, and having inferior linemates. Virtanen's natural skills are simply different but still significant, PLUS he's a bigger body PLUS he's aggressive and knows how to use it PLUS he's a character guy. Higher floor and far less downside risk, and that is why he was drafted higher and was expected to go higher (except per Button, of course).

• Upvote 1

Sure, Virtanen's got a bigger body and plays a more rounded game but like I've said, we've got enough of those players, and we've got no one in our lineup on the same echelon as say Nylander skill-wise.

So fast, big-bodied, skilled, well-rounded players are something we only need "enough" (whatever that means) of? Maybe for the team you envision, but give me 20 of them, as would any team.

So well-rounded is "stupidly one-dimensional"? :blink: Have you really thought that through? Hint: google "oxymoron".

• Upvote 2

The biggest difference I would say with Virtanen is his speed. We have lots of big bodies, you are correct there, but lots are lacking NHL speed. Virtanen has speed and size and a scoring touch. What isn't there to like?

Also, we have Shinkaruk to develop into a pure goal scorer, that guy thrives on putting the puck in the net.

• Upvote 1