The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Well offense starts in the defensive zone.

Knowing where to be to receive the puck as well as being able to retrieve the puck and breakout is just as important.

What I'm seeing alot of is him waiting for someone else to get the puck and get it up to him. He needs to work on being the one to get the puck and skate it up as opposed to always waiting for the puck to come to him.

So what you are saying is that he needs to attend the Alexander Burrows school of becoming an NHL first liner... :)

Yea, they seem to have alot of breakdowns defensively. Not a very good system from the looks of it.

I'm hoping Virtanen can get traded next season if he goes back to junior.

There's a reason clubs like the Tigers, Rockets and Winterhawks have legacies of building talent. There's also a reason the Hitmen is not one of those clubs....

There's a reason clubs like the Tigers, Rockets and Winterhawks have legacies of building talent. There's also a reason the Hitmen is not one of those clubs....

absolutely. You even see it on the OHL. Teams like the spitfires and the otters are great teams every 10 years pr so. Teams like the knights and the rangers are competitive every single year. And the years they aren't competitive, they are dominant.

At least the Hitmen have a couple Stanley Cup champs in Ladd and Getzlaf as part of their alumni. Some teams can't even claim that much.

• Upvote 2

In the game yesterday against the Broncos, the play-by-play guy (who admittedly is a pretty big Hitmen homer) said that the Hitmen could beat any team on any given day, so it isn't crazy that Calgary didn't make any moves on deadline day. Yeah, maybe, but when it gets down to a 7-game series...

Edited by Canucks1219

I've heard a lot of people talk about how the Hitmen are poorly coached. I didn't know where that thought was coming from.

Now I know. I'm not sure what I'm watching here.

Yeah like ive said Jakes main concern going forward is coaching and development. He has all the tools. Most likely if he has a good camp next season, he will make the Canucks. Benning rather get ahold of him then let him learn more bad habits in junior.

Edited by messier's_elbow
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see Virtanen learn to take a little off the shot for the purpose of accuracy. He misses the net a lot. He sure wires it but its useless if you dont make the goalie have to a make a save. Especially because he always shoots high so there is rarely rebounds. He would have a lot of assists if he learned how to shoot low for rebounds and redirections too.

Yea, they seem to have alot of breakdowns defensively. Not a very good system from the looks of it.

I'm hoping Virtanen can get traded next season if he goes back to junior.

Judging by the most recent interview with Benning it sounds like they intend to push him into the lineup next year.

Judging by the most recent interview with Benning it sounds like they intend to push him into the lineup next year.

I don't think they'll try to "push" him in, Desjardins is the coach after all, but if it is the case, I wonder what that means for other young (current) bottom-6 players like Vey and Kassian.