The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I doubt it, Ehlers just surpassed Drouin's consecutive games point streak record (currently at 33 consecutive games with 73 points scored during that streak). Nylander hasn't been that impressive with 9 points in 14 games, but that's not bad at all for an 18 year old playing in the AHL.

Why keep bringing it up when all the players are doing well in their own way?

The 2014 draft really wasn't that weak at all in the first round... I don't know what the scouts were harping about...

The 2014 draft really wasn't that weak at all in the first round... I don't know what the scouts were harping about...

They weren't saying there was a lack of talent. They said it lacked top tier elite prospects. While all are "good" prospects, no one thought there was a franchise player in the draft.

A rare lopsided game in favour of the Hitmen's opponent tonight. 7-2 loss against Everett. Shots were 40-29 in favour of the Hitmen who had their winning-streak halted at 6 games.

Virtanen had 1 assist, 2 PIM (Slashing), and was -1.

They weren't saying there was a lack of talent. They said it lacked top tier elite prospects. While all are "good" prospects, no one thought there was a franchise player in the draft.

Exactly. When a potential #1 overall pick in the draft (Sam Reinhart) is projected by scouts to be a good 2C, it sort of tells you what they thought of the "upside" in the draft. Which isn't to say that they thought it wasn't a "talented" pool of prospects.

If you look at the way the first rounders from 2014 have developed this season it's actually quite encouraging. In my opinion, Ekblad, Nylander, Ehlers (considering they are w/o Drouin), Fiala, Vrana, Honka, Larkin, Sanheim, Tuch, DeAngelo, McCann, and Pastrnak have all taken relatively big steps forward this year.

A rare lopsided game in favour of the Hitmen's opponent tonight. 7-2 loss against Everett. Shots were 40-29 in favour of the Hitmen who had their winning-streak halted at 6 games.

Virtanen had 1 assist, 2 PIM (Slashing), and was -1.

Exactly. When a potential #1 overall pick in the draft (Sam Reinhart) is projected by scouts to be a good 2C, it sort of tells you what they thought of the "upside" in the draft. Which isn't to say that they thought it wasn't a "talented" pool of prospects.

If you look at the way the first rounders from 2014 have developed this season it's actually quite encouraging. In my opinion, Ekblad, Nylander, Ehlers (considering they are w/o Drouin), Fiala, Vrana, Honka, Larkin, Sanheim, Tuch, DeAngelo, McCann, and Pastrnak have all taken relatively big steps forward this year.

I've always said last draft would have some stars, there just wasn't going to be the #1 overall shoe-in like in some years.

Edited by SamJamIam

Could still peak at a #2D

Already playing big minutes, in every situation, has the size and mobility, and is producing well by the standards of the vast majority of d-men in the league, let alone a teenage one. He has the same number of points (32) in games played (61) as Alex Pietrangelo. Admittedly, it's a bit of a down-year by Pietrangelo's standards but that's still really impressive considering the Florida Panthers' ineptitude when it comes to scoring. Ekblad's 32 points are good for 3rd overall on the team and is only ONE point behind Jonathan Huberdeau. His +6 rating (FWIW) is tied for 3rd on the team and is better than the next defenseman by +5.

There's plenty of time left in his career for him not to become a 1D but what he's been able to do on that team early on has been pretty incredible.

• Upvote 3

Could still peak at a #2D

By comparison his numbers absolutely blow the previous years stud D man who was a projected # 1 and touted as the end all be all of D men Seth Jones...

Completely out of the water.

Honestly, kids surprisingly good. 2D? If that's the case whoever Fla ends up with as a #1 D man is going to be damned near Lidstromesque

Already playing big minutes, in every situation, has the size and mobility, and is producing well by the standards of the vast majority of d-men in the league, let alone a teenage one. He has the same number of points (32) in games played (61) as Alex Pietrangelo. Admittedly, it's a bit of a down-year by Pietrangelo's standards but that's still really impressive considering the Florida Panthers' ineptitude when it comes to scoring. Ekblad's 32 points are good for 3rd overall on the team and is only ONE point behind Jonathan Huberdeau. His +6 rating (FWIW) is tied for 3rd on the team and is better than the next defenseman by +5.

There's plenty of time left in his career for him not to become a 1D but what he's been able to do on that team early on has been pretty incredible.

Disagree, looking at his numbers, you could argue he is already a franchise #1 dman, and only 19years old. Generational talent, I would dare to say.

Agreed. For a 19-year D to do what he has in the league this year is extremely unusual. Very few 19-year old Ds have played more than 20 games in the NHL over the past 15 years. (One was Drew Doughty, another was Shea Weber. Seth Jones played last year. Eckblad has better first year numbers than any of them. And there aren't many others.

Using any reasonable projection method, Eckblad projects as a #1D and has a decent chance of being a future Norris candidate.

Edited by JamesB

Agreed. For a 19-year D to do what he has in the league this year is extremely unusual. Very few 19-year old Ds have played more than 20 games in the NHL over the past 15 years. (One was Drew Doughty, another was Shea Weber. Seth Jones played last year. Eckblad has better first year numbers than any of them. And there aren't many others.

Using any reasonable projection method, Eckblad projects as a #1D and has a decent chance of being a future Norris candidate.

When GMJB was trying to aquire floridas 1st to get reignhart i was losing my mind. Ekblad is clearly a franchise player n i knew it at the time. Did i think hed be this good his rookie year? No but i knew he was a franchise Dman. I would be really mad and out a TV if benning got the first and picked reignhart over ekblad.