The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I wouldn't give up Jake for either of them though. Chances are pretty good Jake will make a career out of destroying wimps like those two. Long have I pined for a Canuck with Jakes "potential" and mean streak.

I wish we had 2 jake virtanens

- actually if Kass gets his junk together than we just might

• Upvote 1

Nothing for him to learn in the dub anymore so there really is no point in him going there destroying kids. Send him to the WJC but let him play and learn in thr big leagues

He's not really destroying. A bit congrats for him being able to hit other players to send them flying, but his offensive game hasn't been anything special at any level. In the WHL, he was barely over a point-per-game in the regular season, and under a point-per-game in the playoffs. His offense needs work, and it's better he gets big minutes in the WHL over 10-12 minutes a game in the NHL.

Nothing for him to learn in the dub anymore so there really is no point in him going there destroying kids. Send him to the WJC but let him play and learn in thr big leagues

He's not really destroying. A bit congrats for him being able to hit other players to send them flying, but his offensive game hasn't been anything special at any level. In the WHL, he was barely over a point-per-game in the regular season, and under a point-per-game in the playoffs. His offense needs work, and it's better he gets big minutes in the WHL over 10-12 minutes a game in the NHL.

Have to agree with Ehrhoff. I have often seen the statement "he has nothing more to learn in Junior" made about many players. It is almost always false and it is certainly false in Virtanen's case.

What he needs to learn is how to take advantage of his great skills (skating, shooting, size and strength) to create more scoring opportunities. As Ehrhoff says he is likely to learn that more quickly getting 20 minutes a game in Junior including PP time than he would playing a 4th line energy role on the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

Have to agree with Ehrhoff. I have often seen the statement "he has nothing more to learn in Junior" made about many players. It is almost always false and it is certainly false in Virtanen's case.

What he needs to learn is how to take advantage of his great skills (skating, shooting, size and strength) to create more scoring opportunities. As Ehrhoff says he is likely to learn that more quickly getting 20 minutes a game in Junior including PP time than he would playing a 4th line energy role on the Canucks.

Calgary hasn't really given him top 6 minutes all that often last season, if at all. If he's going to play an energy role again I'd rather he just do that in the big leagues. He can handle the bottom 6 energy role quite well given his time in Utica already, played his way into the top 6. And with a full off season to get stronger I fully expect him to make a strong case to crack this roster.

If he was getting top six time with the Hitmen you might be right, he wasn't.

Nothing wrong with more seasoning. Then he can start out in the A.

I agree, he isn't going to make us a Stanley contender next year.

What exactly is the rush?

Detroit this boy.

And preserve his ELC.

• Upvote 2

Ehlers is not a "Franchise" type player. If he were he would've been ranked/drafted higher.

Because they are "franchise potential" players. IMO they will be 50-70 point players but are going to be soft and defensive liabilities

Agreed with the bolded. Virtanen if he reaches his potential will not be a franchise player, he will be a first line powerforward. Nylander however, if he hits his potential, and it looks like he is on his way judging by his first season, will be a Kane-type player at the center position, Ehlers a dynamic 70-80 point winger for years.

We needed a Franchise changing pick from the 6th overall pick. What exactly is the plan as the Sedins age here? I do not want to be an Edmonton, I would rather do a retool on the fly, and that is done by hitting home runs with your high picks. It is cool to see Virtanen get all these hits, and it is very entertaining to see him steamroll guys. But I expect production from him, and that is not unreasonable judging by his tools.

He needs to be more creative with the puck and finish his chances, I am not sure you can learn that. Is Virtanen the type of player the nucks need? Absolutely. But at 6th overall, you ALWAYS take best player available, and do NOT draft for needs. Who cares if Nylander or Ehlers or Larkin do not hit as well as Virtanen, that is what 3rd and 4th liners are!

If Virtanen can bring the entire hitting, and scoring package together, I will give Benning a pass. But until then, Nylander and Ehlers are the better picks simply because they have both shown elite potential.

Edited by CanucksFanTillDeath1995
  • Upvote 3

I actually agree with your comments here James but the only thing that makes me question that position is that I thought the exact same thing about Bo Horvat last year. And Bo being a center had an even steeper learning curve to adjust to.

• Upvote 1

While it would be nice to see him in a Canucks uni next season, by no means should we expect him to 'save the franchise' at 18yrs old. Perhaps the best move would be to let him stew in junior like Jeff Carter for another year. The alternative would be to bring him in early like Dustin Brown, but give him a limited role.

I have a feeling that due to the direction they've taken with his development, boosting his defense, that he will be coming into the lineup early. It's tough to say, because his attentive focus on defense has taken his offensive numbers away, so perhaps the 'lack of offense' will be reason enough to hold him back.

I guess we'll have to leave it in Jim and Trevor's hands. I'm fine with whichever direction they take. It's not like we're winning the cup next season.

While it would be nice to see him in a Canucks uni next season, by no means should we expect him to 'save the franchise' at 18yrs old. Perhaps the best move would be to let him stew in junior like Jeff Carter for another year. The alternative would be to bring him in early like Dustin Brown, but give him a limited role.

I have a feeling that due to the direction they've taken with his development, boosting his defense, that he will be coming into the lineup early. It's tough to say, because his attentive focus on defense has taken his offensive numbers away, so perhaps the 'lack of offense' will be reason enough to hold him back.

I guess we'll have to leave it in Jim and Trevor's hands. I'm fine with whichever direction they take. It's not like we're winning the cup next season.

he is penciled in onto the 4th line and will earn his minutes as the season goes and as WD see's fit

BANK ON IT!!!

And that's exactly what the majority were saying about Horvat last year. Send him back to junior so he can work on his scoring and skating. Except Horvat was already a man at 19 and with a professional lifestyle and training, he was able to gain muscle and speed during the season. Jake is even more physically gifted at the same age and the only thing that he needs now is coaching. I think the best coaching he's going to get is at the NHL level.

To the other point about minutes, 20 minutes a game in junior does not translate to the pro game at all. When Jake first got to Utica, coach Green wouldn't play him due to conditioning. He sat out for a while because the shifts in pro are at full speed all the time and he was used to the slower pace of junior. When he finally did get into the lineup his shifts on the 4th line were about 20 seconds or so and then he was gassed and had to come off. Now he's taking a regular shift and his versatility is letting Green put him anywhere in the lineup.

Scoring is going to come eventually, but playing in Utica on a 'defense first' coached team, is the best test for how his game will translate to the pros. Jake doesn't get caught out of position and he steals the puck quite a bit. Obsessing over point totals is about the most narrow view that you can take from his development this year and if you're in this group, I'm guessing you don't even watch him play.

• Upvote 1

Didn't we bring in a guy like Desjardins BECAUSE of his skill with respects to developing younger players?

So why not put it to use? Give the kid a shot

im not in favor of virt on the canucks next season by i do like this argument. Its the first time ive seen anyone bring that up.

I know everyone likes to ooh and ahh over his reverse hits, but at the end of those clips, what we don't see is the puck leaving the zone very shortly after.

Don't get me wrong it's entertaining as hell, but I'd like to see him make plays more often.

It also helps if after exerting the effort to get the puck in to the zone while legally and with force taking a defender out of the play, one of your team mates has the ability to actually retrieve the puck and get it back to you or another team mate who's open from you making that play.

I think he could step up to the nhl next year, but it would be best if he dominatwd in juniors rather than play a lesser role here in Vancouver as a bottom 6 banger that can chip in goals. They already have Kenins for that.

Maybe get his confidence up next year by scoring a couple more goals.