The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

That's highly possible, and in that moment we'll find out what kind of player he is. Will he take a number and head to the bench, or will he just figure 'hey I gave this hockey thing a good try, maybe i should just go to trade school. I hear plumbers make good money.'

I hope he reacts with a smile, appreciates a good hit and keeps on going. The last thing I want to see is a dumb retaliation penalty. As said before, he can handle himself, always has.

• Upvote 1

I hope he reacts with a smile, appreciates a good hit and keeps on going. The last thing I want to see is a dumb retaliation penalty. As said before, he can handle himself, always has.

Yeah, Jake ain't no Zach Kassian, but I too see him being one of those sadistic players that smiles after getting hit. Not because he's taking numbers or looking specifically to retaliate against that player, but because he loves the body game. He'd get somebody back with a clean check on the next shift. I can't believe some posters wouldn't want to see this kid at the NHL level - this is a good old fashioned Canadian kid looking to play an old-school game. He'll drive Horvat to ramp up intensity and take a few more risks offensively, while Bo will keep Jake cool and show him what it means to have the kind of character that demands respect. Two really great pieces for us to build around, so let's get them in the system as soon as we can and let them start learning together. No single prospect will ever really be "rushed" so long as we have the Sedins on our roster. If anything, these young players NEED to get in the lineup while they can still learn from the twins.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Jake ain't no Zach Kassian, but I too see him being one of those sadistic players that smiles after getting hit. Not because he's taking numbers or looking specifically to retaliate against that player, but because he loves the body game. He'd get somebody back with a clean check on the next shift. I can't believe some posters wouldn't want to see this kid at the NHL level - this is a good old fashioned Canadian kid looking to play an old-school game. He'll drive Horvat to ramp up intensity and take a few more risks offensively, while Bo will keep Jake cool and show him what it means to have the kind of character that demands respect. Two really great pieces for us to build around, so let's get them in the system as soon as we can and let them start learning together. No single prospect will ever really be "rushed" so long as we have the Sedins on our roster. If anything, these young players NEED to get in the lineup while they can still learn from the twins.

Willie will need to see him play a mature style in his preseason games. I believe they will do what's best for him. If he has the opportunity to play big minutes, be a leader and dominate the WHL, then that might be the best plan of action for him. If it's a decision between 4th line or that, I'd take the junior route this season. If he comes out capable of providing some offense, and can play 3rd line minutes, then id like to see him play here.

My opinion is divided until I see him play in preseason. The last thing I want to see is him re-injure his shoulder in a 4th line role this season.

His current game isn't like that, I find that the main part of his game he needs to work on is his maturity, that will also help his consistency. From what iv seen he is extremely competitive... To a fault. He gets flustered when he isn't preforming the way he thinks he should be, and he definitely doesn't smile when he gets hit. I'm sure this will change with age.

Willie will need to see him play a mature style in his preseason games. I believe they will do what's best for him. If he has the opportunity to play big minutes, be a leader and dominate the WHL, then that might be the best plan of action for him. If it's a decision between 4th line or that, I'd take the junior route this season. If he comes out capable of providing some offense, and can play 3rd line minutes, then id like to see him play here.

My opinion is divided until I see him play in preseason. The last thing I want to see is him re-injure his shoulder in a 4th line role this season.

I agree with all of this!

Except the shoulder bit. Jake is a big boy, bigger than most he will play against. And decidedly more athletic. That's what makes him exciting. Its been a year since his injury. He's not a 98 lb weakling to be physically sheltered...

I fully expect him to make the team. Just as I felt the same way about Horvat last year. He can learn so much more about pace, training, work ethic etc, by playing with the pros. I really feel another year in junior will do him less good than staying with the nucks

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of this!

Except the shoulder bit. Jake is a big boy, bigger than most he will play against. And decidedly more athletic. That's what makes him exciting. Its been a year since his injury. He's not a 98 lb weakling to be physically sheltered...

Yeah exactly, he is a high energy and emotional player. Which makes it easier for him to lose himself in the moment. That could put him out of place and more prone to a situation where an injury could occur, and in the NHL those split second lapses turn into bad incidents. That's where maturity comes into play, and if he has that, then I wouldn't worry. No no, he is nowhere near a player that needs to be sheltered.

#SurfNinjas

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Derp...

Nope, I don't. Those guys aren't all going to score in the 40-60 range in the NHL (some of them may, Sutter and Horvat sure, Baertschi, McCann, Virtanen and Boeser maybe) so it's not enough scoring by committee to make up for when the Sedins leave.

Clearly we still have time to draft, trade or sign a star talent that we're missing (both for forwards and defence) but we're seriously lacking at this point.

Yeah, I think a few of those guys are more likely than not to score 40 - 60 in the NHL, but that's far from certain. It's our D that really has limited upside, Imo. People are speaking like Hutton, Subban, and Briesbois are near locks to be top 4... Not so.

Overall though, I agree. The hope is that somewhere along the line, we snag a true number 1 center and number 1 D-man.. But that's what everybody wants. It's going to come down to scouting/luck, but if we can get that, you have to feel very good about the character group we have who can play 200 ft when they're augmented by those two true number 1s.

As for Virtanen himself, it's been said before and I'll say it again: He may not reach his offensive billing, (and if he does, watch out) but even then, his physical play and shot is too good to not be 2nd/3rd liner that can produce at a pretty good rate. When it's a small guy getting 40 points on the 3rd line, it's one thing. When it's a big heavy hitter who can dominate a forecheck and establish physical play netting those 40 points, you're a lot better off. No pick is safe, but Jake is pretty close, Imo. I have no issue with where he was selected. He's our prospect now, so all we can do is hope-- I'm not going to kill myself over whether or not Ehlers or Nylander or whoever does better by comparison.

• Upvote 1

That's highly possible, and in that moment we'll find out what kind of player he is. Will he take a number and head to the bench, or will he just figure 'hey I gave this hockey thing a good try, maybe i should just go to trade school. I hear plumbers make good money.'

so then he starts a plumbing company that grows so fast he takes over the entire market and then he buys the NHL and the Canucks win 20 consecutive stanley cups

best draft pick ever

Edited by Edlerberry

It's our D that really has limited upside, Imo. People are speaking like Hutton, Subban, and Briesbois are near locks to be top 4... Not so.

Not sure if you were referring to me but...

Right now I'd take a solid #2D or two above what we already have. An elite #1 would be GREAT though. Of course that's assuming the Hutton, Subban and Brisebois can all get to or close to their potential and there's a lot of question marks there.

If they do though, a top 4 of:

Hutton, MrX

Brisebois, Subban

...with the Pedan's, Cederholm's, Tryamkin's, Sautner's etc filling in the 5-8 spots could very well work. But IMO we need to find MrX and that's counting on most of those guys reaching their peak projections....

Risky business. AKA our D still needs work.

Forwards I'm not really worried about though, especially Virtanen.

So while I do feel the potential is there, I also agree they're far from 'locks' . And even if they do reach that potential, I agree we need at least one more elite/near elite #1 or very good #2 calibre D to make a respectable/contending D-core.

But the forwards, including Virtanen, I'm not particularly concerned about. The lineup I posted last page is literally a 'worst case' scenario a long 5'ish years from now after the twins are gone and would assume no other trades, UFA's or prospects have proven to be better options than any of those guys (unlikely IMO). And it really doesn't even look that bad!

Baer, McCann, Virtanen 50-60 point average

Shinkaruk, Horvat, Boeser 40-50 point average

Gaunce, Sutter, Jensen 30-40 point average

Kenins, Cassels, Grenier 20-30 point average.

That's not a bad looking team IMO. Sure, there's no Crosby, McJebus or Stamkos on there but there's skill, speed, size and tenacious players on every line. That's be a hard team to play against that would score a decent amount of points IMO.

Edited by J.R.

If Virtanen reaches his full potential he will develop somewhere along the lines of a : Wayne Simmonds, Dustin Brown, Andrew Ladd, and/or Corey Perry.

If Virtanen is unable to reach his full potential I see him develop along the lines of a bigger meaner : Matt Cooke, Steve Ott , and/or Steve Downie,

Edited by Vancanwincup
  • Upvote 1

If Virtanen reaches his full potential he will develop some where along the lines of a : Wayne Simmonds, Dustin Brown, Andrew Ladd, and/or Corey Perry.

If Virtanen is unable to reach his full potential I see him develop along the lines of a bigger meaner : Matt Cooke, Steve Ott , and/or Steve Downie,

Corey Perry and Steve Ott fit well with Virtanen imo.

Overall though, I agree. The hope is that somewhere along the line, we snag a true number 1 center and number 1 D-man.. But that's what everybody wants. It's going to come down to scouting/luck, but if we can get that, you have to feel very good about the character group we have who can play 200 ft when they're augmented by those two true number 1s.

On that I agree, if we can somehow add those pieces (or something closer to them then what we have now) and players like Virtanen develop into top end players for their style then it's a whole different outlook. Until then though, I'm pretty measured in how I see this team's chances going forward. And that's not saying we'll be bad, just saying we won't be all that good.

On that I agree, if we can somehow add those pieces (or something closer to them then what we have now) and players like Virtanen develop into top end players for their style then it's a whole different outlook. Until then though, I'm pretty measured in how I see this team's chances going forward. And that's not saying we'll be bad, just saying we won't be all that good.

Horvat can certainly be a very good # one centre, along the lines of Kopitar and Towes. It seems to me that elite centres, who win Cups recently, are excellent 200 foot players, that put up 60 + points. That's definitely Horvat. Plus, we have Cassels coming too! I think our biggest need is, by far, a true number one D man.

While it's possible, I wouldn't say it's likely. We still lack a prospect that more definitively has that #1 center potential. Maybe Horvat gets there (or we surround him with elite wingers in the same way we did Linden with Bure), or maybe McCann does, but there's a ways to go before we can say that with any certainty.