The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Not sure about that. A lot of people wanted Nylander, especially after his performance at the combine. People love calling him soft because he has the face of a 5 year old. He was probably the most well-conditioned athlete at the combine though, with incredible leg strength.

You are dead on with your last sentence though. Drafting Virtanen, who I'm thrilled to have, seemed more of a 'We're taking the player who will address our new philosophy' rather than 'We're taking the BPA'.

I won't lie. I wanted nylander after the combine but my second choice was jake and he's playing quite well. You guys are dead on saying it's all coaching now. He needs to stay up here. Hitmen play sloppy jr hockey.
  • Upvote 1

Whatever makes u sleep better at night. We didn't pick the BPA and that's the fact of the matter. It was very obvious at the time, and now with hindsight it's not even debatable. If there were to be a redraft done at this point, the only people picking Jake in the top ten of last years draft are CDC homers. He's tracking very similarly to Raffi Torres who ironically was taken 5th overall. That's not to say the Jake won't be a good player in his own right. He just isn't projecting to be the type of player you look for offensively at 6th overall.

Lol at your tracking. You pulled this out your ass.
  • Upvote 1

That was an NHL quality goal Jake scored. Beautiful release, almost 'flicked' it so as to disguise the release point. People who have frequently suggested all Jake does is hit and that we wasted a high pick on an energy player should take note of that goal. It's the kind of goal that you'd see from Daniel Sedin or Kesler, not Hansen or Higgins.