The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

You'll be waiting a while. He has the skill and size, but his mentality isn't focused enough. Virtanen seems like a late-boomer. Even though it's not the worst thing, us Canucks fans will have to be patient... :P We were patient with the Sedins, Edler, Hansen, Burrows, and more. The only player we've drafted who hit the ground running immediately was Kesler. Speed is the new size.

How many of us can say we've played 50+ NHL games by age 20? I've said this before but I'll say it again: Virtanen is a BC boy. Entitled or not, he's a humble guy with the right attitude. It's only a matter of time until all of us will be supporting him by repping that #18 jersey.

Kesler? Are you sure? He didn't even play a full season in the NHL until like his 3rd year. If Virt was drafted before Bo, people won't have high expectations for Virt and let him slowly develop. It is just that Bo was the only one in recent memory that hit the ground running immediately.

Anyways, a good video here about his memory of his friend who passed away a few years ago

http://www.wktv.com/news/A_lasting_impression_Jake_Virtanen_honors_late_friend_with_tattoo.html

Edited by Law of Goalies
  • Upvote 1

I've been saying this since last season, he needs to play left wing. The shooting angle for a rh shot on the left wing is way better.

He played left wing in jr when he had that 45 goal season. Even in the world jrs all his goals came from the left side of the ice.

The style of game he plays is similar to Ovi's, and where does Ovi play? Left wing.

Boggles my mind he hasn't been tried there yet.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I've been saying this since last season, he needs to play left wing. The shooting angle for a rh shot on the left wing is way better.

He played left wing in jr when he had that 45 goal season. Even in the world jrs all his goals came from the left side of the ice.

The style of game he plays is similar to Ovi's, and where does Ovi play? Left wing.

Boggles my mind he hasn't been tried there yet.

I've argued in the past that Jake should play LW as well for many of the same reasons you outlined. It's also a better fit for the team long-term since they really don't have any good LW prospects (if Baertschi is too old to count now).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Kesler? Are you sure? He didn't even play a full season in the NHL until like his 3rd year. If Virt was drafted before Bo, people won't have high expectations for Virt and let him slowly develop. It is just that Bo was the only one in recent memory that hit the ground running immediately.

Anyways, a good video here about his memory of his friend who passed away a few years ago

http://www.wktv.com/news/A_lasting_impression_Jake_Virtanen_honors_late_friend_with_tattoo.html

I'm glad someone noticed lol. Yeah no I don't think we've had an immediate impact player who we've drafted. At least not in the last 2 decades... The Sedins were slowly given more minutes as they got more experience. Similar to what they've done with Baertschi and Horvat. 

Jake is a humble guy. But his poor play has caused the media and bandwagon fans to start rumours. I do believe he will take some great steps in the next year or two.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Why are you dinosaurs comparing today's NHL to 10 years ago... Today's top prospects make an impact almost immediately after draft year. And 30 year old players are already considered to be in decline. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Why are you dinosaurs comparing today's NHL to 10 years ago... Today's top prospects make an impact almost immediately after draft year. And 30 year old players are already considered to be in decline. 

The former part of argument is silly as the specific path of every prospect is both different, and dependent upon, the strength of the annual draft class. The latter shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Forwards are expected to peak around age 28, and defenceman at age 29. If people accept those numbers then witnessing decline at age 30 should be accepted as fact for all but the most superhuman of NHL players.  

• Upvote 3